Best height for model assembling bench.

Forum for asking questions, offering new ideas or facts or suggesting new topics
Doug Harding
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Best height for model assembling bench.

Post by Doug Harding »

Hi all,

I’ve just purchased the Chieftain MTB kit from David Wilks and need to construct a bench for assembling purposes.

In my workshop I have benches fitted against the wall with a working height of 85cm.

This new bench will be free standing but I would like your advice as to what height you would suggest.

Doug

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2046 times

Re: Best height for model assembling bench.

Post by Stephen White »

Doug, rather than have a fixed bench, you might find it more useful to buy an hydraulic lift table. Then you can raise it to work on tracks, suspension etc and lower it for access to the turret and internals. I’ve written a Knowledge Base topic on the subject of moving and transporting the model here:

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... f96442e97c

Good luck with the Chieftain.

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 652 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Doug
I bought myself a 250kg lift table with a screw thread jack rather than a hydraulic actuator. I found my previous hydraulic lift table could sink with time. I was a bit wary of having all that weight held up using only hydraulics and no back up locking method.
Regards
Steve

simon_manning
Been liked: 1578 times

Post by simon_manning »

Greetings Doug, All of the above suggestions, Remember as you build it becomes Heavier and by the end very heavy, you don't want any mishaps, proceed with care and some comfort, The Hydraulic table is a must, regards simon manning.

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 635 times
Been liked: 1438 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi Doug

Agree with all the above, safety is paramount. I have just completed my first tank and used a 200kg hydraulic lift table and motorcycle jack. By using a lazy susan bearing with the jack you can also turn the tank to any angle and height. I found this invaluable in the confines of my garage/workshop.

Regards
Gary
Motorcycle jack and lazy susan bearing.
Motorcycle jack and lazy susan bearing.
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs, 2024 Bailey Bridge.

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 818 times

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning all, just a word of caution about table lifts. For safety, I used a secure wood base platform on my table lift, having had the Panther slide off the lift. A heavy metal tank on a steel surface will slide. Been there.
Table lifts are excellent and one easy way to build and move your pride and joy. Just take care....Mick.

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 652 times

Post by Steve Norris »

This is the set up I have.
Motor cycle lift built into the lift table top, this makes working on the wheels, tracks and drive system easy and safe.
80290697-A4BC-4D8E-87C4-7404730A6965.jpeg
Regards

Steve

Malcolm.Plumb
Has liked: 274 times
Been liked: 627 times

Post by Malcolm.Plumb »

What a great idea that is. 8)

Just setting the workshop/garage up for a Panther G build with a hydraulic platform and bike lift in the planning.
There may be a variation of this for me when I finally get to it.
2022 Panther G #15

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Good to hear from you Doug, and good to see another Chieftain build on the Forum, looking forward to your posts.
Chieftain is a hardcore build, but full of possibilities. All great advice given by other Builders.
I have a similar type of bench, against the wall, and it does become a problem once the models box chassis becomes laden with upper deck fittings and cast armor. The belly plate isn't flat like most Armortek models, some sort of frame is required to protect it. I think the best solution is to get the model on its road wheels sooner than later like Phil did. Not that I followed that solution. :D But then, I didn't know how long the model would be on the bench.
With the frontal hull armor and bogies fitted without wheels or tracks, it starts to become a two-man lift just to turn it round. Fitting the motor gear boxes and the issue is sealed. The complaints I get from the better half when I want to turn it round can be heard down the road. :| (Do I complain about carrying the shopping?)
Recently I've strengthened the work bench as the chassis weight has been steadily increasing.
If you have or get a hydraulic lift table, great, with space, you could work on either side, chock the model's wheels. Most lift table of a certain lifting ability will need some extra width adding to the table. Probably the bigger the table the better, mines 750kg and with even with extended sides Centurion only just fits on it.
Like Mick says, the model wants to roll or slide off the table if it gets any chance, just lower the table when not working on it. Saves worry on any unforeseen movement at height.
Phils Chieftain Build is a classic and well worth following.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Doug Harding
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Doug Harding »

Thanks for all info Guys it is really helpful.

The Cheiftain kit will not be collected from David Wilks until 24th of this month so I will wait until it arrives before deciding what action to take.

I have a family owned manufacturing business with many large production machines some of which have hydraulic parts.

When a hose or connection leaks or bursts the mess created takes weeks to clear up. The only thing that is worse is a air intenser/ hydraulic unit.

Regards

Doug

Damon Resch
Has liked: 611 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Damon Resch »

John from East Coast Armory has a good video on YouTube you might find helpful:

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 438 times
Been liked: 790 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi Doug.

Welcome to the world of Chieftain.
painting stand 2 (2).jpg
If you ignore the Mr. H. Robinson extension, the motorbike lift I acquired was a 2nd from a well-known high street supplier of mechanical stuff.

It is hydraulic in operation and wheeled. once raised a 1" steel bar prevents the unit sinking, after releasing the hydraulic pressure; holds two vehicles too. This you could be useful as the Chieftain's turret requires quite a bit of space.

I also rivetted rubber onto the deck and chocks are ever present.

hope this is of use and look forward to your build.

Cheers Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.