Clear coatings on bare metal

All topics related to Armortek's 25 Pdr
Richard Trilling

Clear coatings on bare metal

Post by Richard Trilling »

I'm writing this as a neophyte This the first time that I've attempted a metal kit, it's the 25 pounder. I've got 2 problems and I would appreciate some detailed responses.

1. Some of the steel parts have rust on them. What is the best way to remove it. Steel wool or the use of a Dremel ?

2. I don't wish to paint the model, but leave it as bare metal. To prevent the oxidation of the steel and aluminum parts I'm aware that I have to coat them with something or somethings. My question is what product or products should I use ? Specific product names would be appreciated.

Richard

Edited on Wednesday, 21 September 2022 at 11:18 (GMT + 2) à Blainville sur mer, Normandie, France;
sent later.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1175 times
Been liked: 1358 times

Re: Clear coatings on bare metal

Post by Adrian Harris »

I use Jenolite thin rust remover and steel wool to remove surface rust.

I would imagine any of the matt or gloss lacquers would protect the metal but I've never done it so happy to defer to anyone who has.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 633 times
Been liked: 1427 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi Richard

I found this product online
Rustins RUSCML125 Metal Lacquer Clear 125ml
The advertising says it will not crack or go yellow with age.

Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 434 times
Been liked: 778 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi Folks.
I liked this thread, mainly as I don't wish to paint my Chieftains tracks. I have been advised of a lacquer that may suit, unfortunately it doesn't seem to be avaible.

Thus following the above post, I had a look at the label on the bottle😣: Not recommended for SS or mild steel. Also recommends testing is suggested.

Sorry to be party pooper, take care, real care with such stuff. If it works please let me know 😊

Cheers Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Richard Trilling

Post by Richard Trilling »

Adrian,

Thank you.

I found your suggestion on Amazon here in France. I'm not sure what you mean by the word "thin". Does the spray below correspond to that ?

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B081B2 ... 1ZI7F&th=1

They also have something thick er in bottles

https://www.amazon.fr/Jenolite-Bailcast ... ref=sr_1_7?

Your thoughts please ?

Nobody seems have an idea of a clear lacquer. JENOLITE seems also to produce a clear protective lacquer.

https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B07MTH ... 1ZI7F&th=1

Your thoughts again if possible ?

Richard

Edited on Thursday, 29 September 2022 at 21:04 (GMT + 2) à Blainville sur mer, Normandie, France;
sent later.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1175 times
Been liked: 1358 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

The first link is the one I use for surface rust. Put some in a foil cake case, dip the steel wool into it and then use the two together to clean the steel.

Once the surface is rust free, I clean with Upol System 20 panel wipe and prime immediately.

When I was de-rusting a Sherman I used Hammerite gel, which was magic with heavy corrosion. You put it on and left it and after a while it had eaten the rust back to clean steel. Hence "thin" just meant liquid.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module