Olaf's steel track links; any driving experiences?

Forum for discussion relating to the King Tiger
Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Olaf's steel track links; any driving experiences?

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi all,

I'm using Olaf's excellent steel track links on 3 of my models, but unfortunately not on an Armortek model. Olaf told me that he sold some sets of his track links to Armortek model owners some years ago, but I found not only one experience report about this combination till now. Is here somebody who can tell me something about driving his king tiger with these track links (and perhaps with the sprockets that Olaf sold together with his track links)? I would also be interested in hearing something about wear of the drive train caused by this track links.

Here at the left side Olaf's sprocket:

kind regards
Gerhard

David Brady
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Olaf's steel track links; any driving experiences?

Post by David Brady »

Hi,

I bought a set and I've had no issues. The only downside is the sprocket ring is larger then it should be. Martin Hofmann supplied me with a sprocket diagram that should improve this.

DB
Attachments
20210919_135345_compress61.jpg
Martin Hofmann sprocket ring
Martin Hofmann sprocket ring
IMG_4665_compress55.jpg
IMG_4663_compress59.jpg
Last edited by David Brady on Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi David,

thanks for your info. Because of using the track links only on non AT models I couldn't use Olaf's sprockets at all and had to create ones by myself. I also can't report remarkable wearing of the drive train or the sprockets, made from AlMg 4,5.
kind regards
Gerhard

Helderluiss
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by Helderluiss »

Here can I find Olaf. He still produce this tracks?

Thanks

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Drive them only since yesterday. Am so far very impressed!! Will be on Operation Weserübung Süd next week. Report to follow after my return on Monday 12.
1.jpg
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Helderluiss wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:04 pm
Here can I find Olaf. He still produce this tracks?

Thanks
Unfortunately not. These track links were produced several years ago in a low quantity, depending on the pre-orders given at this time. Not all pre-ordered sets were really bought and some years later I acquired all the remaining track links for my non-AT models and some colleagues. Some days ago I sold an used set because my non-AT King Tiger will be sold with its original track links.

Olaf told me some years ago that a rebuild of such a set of track links would now consume 3,500 € and more.
kind regards
Gerhard

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

David Brady wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:37 am
Hi,

I bought a set and I've had no issues. The only downside is the sprocket ring is larger then it should be. Martin Hofmann supplied me with a sprocket diagram that should improve this.

DB
Hi David,

I fear that these sprockets with 9 teeth are historical not the right ones. The so called late King Tiger track links (KGS 73/800/152) needed sprockets with 18 teeth again.
kind regards
Gerhard

David Brady
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by David Brady »

Thanks Gerhard, I do remember now, it's been a long time since I thought about these tracks. I have a set of spare sprockets rings and quite a few links ...maybe another set could be made.
Cheers

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

As promised, here are my findings after the end of Weserübung:
2.jpg
Pic taken at the start. As you can see, track is deliberately very slack. So far no scratches on the paint.

1.jpg
Shot taken after loading on the transporter. So far no wear and tear visible after two days of mud and dirt traversions. Even my mounting marks are still scratch free. :D Tracks are running extremely smooth!
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Martin Hofmann
Has liked: 141 times
Been liked: 1562 times

Post by Martin Hofmann »

At the same battlefield, i can report, that the self made 9 teeth sprockets are in best condition after the run in the same area. But they are made of steel. The tracks are also running absolutely smooth.
Attachments
025036D8-E375-415A-B139-B48F65A0926C.jpeg
Regards Martin

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi Peter and Martin,

thanks for your reports. When even the paint on the sprockets is not hurt, there will be no necessity to make the sprockets from steel I think
kind regards
Gerhard