FPV anyone?

Use this area for an off topic conversations not related to Armortek or Kompact Kits. Please ensure that you abide by the forum rules.
Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

FPV anyone?

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Is anyone here experimenting with integrating FPV (first person video) into their models?

Off and on over the years I've experimented with FPV in both 1/16 and 1/10 scale armor models.

Over the years and especially since drone mania has hit the scene there have been vast improvements in FPV technology.

I've used different systems that were either DIY xmitter boards or commercially available ones. That they've transitioned from the wonky
to slick compact devices capable of being brought aloft in drone that weigh mere grams is impressive.

I'm going to renew my interest in these things as I'd like to add the capability to my models I have a few YT videos from about 10-12 years ago of my first crude attempts.

FrSky later this year will release their latest upgrade to the X20 series of systems- the X20HD which besides being dual frequency capable 900Mhz
and 2,4Gig will also incorporate a 5.8gig HDZero compatible VTR capability and allow the video stream to be displayed on the large built in LCD screen
or output to another device via an HDMI connection...

I believe this will become more common (or less uncommon if you prefer) as the technology develops....

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

johnny johnson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 34 times

Re: FPV anyone?

Post by johnny johnson »

Been there and done it on a basic level, did it at our US tank meet, placed a basic camera on a tank linked to a basic set of googles, a lot of the kids really liked it, I think I will switch it to one of my armored vehicles just for fun.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

johnny johnson wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:28 am
Been there and done it on a basic level, did it at our US tank meet, placed a basic camera on a tank linked to a basic set of googles, a lot of the kids really liked it, I think I will switch it to one of my armored vehicles just for fun.
I've got googles and don't like the bulk, prefer a screen. Haven't tried the latest googles- perhaps they're much lighter.
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

johnny johnson
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 34 times

Post by johnny johnson »

I have the spektrum goggles and they are bulky but the nice thing is I can remove the screen from the goggles and mount it on the radio.

Mark Allen
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by Mark Allen »

I want to try this technology on the King Tiger. I need to buy some parts and experiment. Looks fairly straight forward these days. a 5.8 xmitter and receiver/display.

First test is to see if it works with the micro cameras now available. I dont want the cameras visible. I have found a surveillance camera that is 5mm square. If this works then I can put a camera in the drivers periscope, use a channel to pan it right and left a bit. Next test is the camera in the commander, either his head or perhaps camouflaged in his chest. That gets a view from the turret. Finally a backup camera. Already found a three way video switch. The stuff is so cheap I cant afford to not mess around with it.

And down another rabbit hole we go.
1:6 King Tiger. 1:1 White M3A1 Scout car, Ford GPW, Dodge WC-57 Command Car, Ford GTB, CJV-35/U, Willys MB, Willys M38.