Importance of Priming

Forum for discussions relating to the Churchill
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Importance of Priming

Post by Adrian Harris »

There's a lot of information in the Knowledgebase regarding prepping and painting but I thought, as the Churchill contains quite a lot of mixed steel and aluminium parts, that this was worth repeating.

I'm currently stripping down and rebuilding a Comet, and this is the effect of moisture getting between un-primed steel and aluminium parts:

Galvanic Corrosion.jpg

The rest of the bracket is fine, but the interaction between the steel and aluminium dramatically increases the corrosion to both parts.

I usually use an etch primer on aluminium parts and a zinc primer on steel parts, though you can use etch primer on both.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Importance of Priming

Post by Stephen White »

Timely Adrian. Here's the KB Topic for reference:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5802

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 953 times
Been liked: 2022 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

How old is the build!?

Simon Peck
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 44 times

Post by Simon Peck »

Where was it stored?

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Brian - The Comet kit came out in 2010 and I've been told this one was built fairly soon after release.

Simon - It's been dry stored for the last four years but before that I couldn't say. From the track wear I know it's been run a lot, so I would imagine it's been caught in a few rain showers in its time.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Martin Usher
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Martin Usher »

Galvanic corrosion Adrian, I have had to deal with the end result of this in a few of my machine tools where the protective layer between was compromised, can be a very expensive end result if not found fast and rectified.
Martin.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I agree with the others. I've had first hand experience with Galvanic corrosion. When living very close to the pacific ocean during my teen years I recall
some parts exposed to the elements; namely aluminium and steel or worse brass virtually dissolved before your eyes aided by the relative salty environment which was nearly always foggy.

Again much later when I purchased a home further away from the coast in which someone unbeknownst to me had used a steel grounding clamp on copper water pipes- very bad idea. Caused a premature pipe failure that had to be addressed.

I've not often primed or painted the interior of my smaller models, being ICE powered with the attendant oils but with these larger beasts especially where dissimilar metals are used primer is the order of the day.

Bad things can happen between certain different metals; moisture will certainly make bad things happen.

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Gary Richardson
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 1430 times

Post by Gary Richardson »

Hi all

As this topic is about priming, I have a question regarding the Churchill and the primer that was used.
Am I right in thinking the early Churchills had grey primer which was later changed to red oxide primer that would have been used for the 1943/44 Mk3 AVRE tanks? The reason I ask is I am still trying to make up my mind whether to do the Mk3 AVRE with mortar, fascine rack and fascine or the desert version with auxiliary fuel tank. As I want to start priming the parts before it gets too cold to work in the garage and I really need to crack on with it over the next week or two.
I would appreciate any info from those with knowledge regarding this.

Regards
Gary
2021 Late Tiger 1 Abteilung 301 (Funklenk), 2022 Churchill Mk3 AVRE, 2x Czech Hedgehogs