Universal carrier sprocket ring

Armortek owners can buy and sell 1/6 scale accessories and detail parts. note: Armortek does not necessarily endorse these products and can accept no liability for contractual disputes
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Re: Universal carrier sprocket ring

Post by Phil Woollard »

A quick update, the funds have now been sent to Mike Tull ( the very talented machinist ) so all is underway for some very nice shiny sprockets!
I will have a couple of spare sets in stock but when they are gone they are gone!
Phil.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 652 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Phil
Thanks for the update.
Just need some more track pins now.
Regards
Steve

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Update, the sprockets will be shipped ( so long as I have your address please guys) next week.
Phil
Attachments
IMG_20220813_192757.jpg
IMG_20220813_144911_kindlephoto-6988363.jpg
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Just printing a stock of sprocket rings in pla, some will accompany the metal sprockets (for those that have ordered them). We also have a couple of journal patterns which I will add randomly for you guys to use and share amongst yourselves, when you get to fetling your tracks email me for details but basically the pcd of the sprocket must be the same as the track pitch, I had to file the opening between the links once it was assembled as just about every one needed adjusting. You will see which links need fetling as you roll the sprocket along the track on the bench.
Phil.
Attachments
IMG_20220815_184004.jpg
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Update, all the sprocket kits are now in the post, Mike has kindly supplied a journal gauge, that's now one with each kit.
Thanks to Mike Tull for offering to machine the sprockets for us, if you have missed this batch we would need at least another 8 firm orders to run them again.

Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

Graham P Hough
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Graham P Hough »

Good evening Phil
Sprockets and spacer arrived safely, thank you.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

The gauge, use this template to create the rounded profile that mirrors the sprocket profile.
You will also need to adjust the gap between the links ( when the track is assembled) so the sprocket rolls in and out of mesh, it's not easy dressing the gap and a good square needle file is paramount. If you don't address this assembled track pitch it will never run smoothly. I found that just about all the gaps required attention and every gap was different.
I recommend using the pla sprockets to check the fit or you may damage your nice new sprockets rings, the pla sprockets will quickly show "witness marks" , under coating the track in a contrasting colour will also show witness marks, use these as your guide.
I
Attachments
IMG_20220605_114850_kindlephoto-31216878.jpg
IMG_20220614_122147.jpg
IMG_20220620_111943.jpg
Mechanical engineer.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Phil, silly question: If one is to elongate this engagement hole with a rounded profile would not a round profile needle
file be more appropriate? Is this the sole modification required to ensure smooth running of the tracks? I though I'd read somewhere that re-drilling the pin holes was also required to ensure there's no curvature of the assembled tracks.

Perhaps I misunderstood. No offense to anyone is intended...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I may end up in trouble Jerry but you guys need to know how this modification works, the mod will only work with the after market pins, you have to eliminate the curvature of the track by over drilling each hole on the inner curve line using an over size drill bit of around 1.60 mm, a round needle file is huge in comparison and can be used for internal holes a square/flat file can be used for an external radius ie the journal profile, further adjustment is necessary by filing that journal gap with the said square file.......It's a lot of work but we'll worth the effort for this great big/little kit.

This is an aftermarket modification, the kit track and sprockets with work from the box.

Phil
Mechanical engineer.

Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Phil Woollard wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:04 pm
I may end up in trouble Jerry but you guys need to know how this modification works, the mod will only work with the after market pins, you have to eliminate the curvature of the track by over drilling each hole on the inner curve line using an over size drill bit of around 1.60 mm, a round needle file is huge in comparison and can be used for internal holes a square/flat file can be used for an external radius ie the journal profile, further adjustment is necessary by filing that journal gap with the said square file.......It's a lot of work but we'll worth the effort for this great big/little kit.

This is an aftermarket modification, the kit track and sprockets with work from the box.

Phil
Well I'm getting this from you to provide options for my construction of this machine. This isn't my first waltz with a model, any tracked model that could benefit from 'performance upgrades'; I always assume these will work adequately out_of_the_box however like my Audi RS7 one can always tweak things if you aren't risk-averse to get that extra measure of performance... I'm still grateful I don't have to cast my own tracks, once was enough to tell me I don't want to do that again. Ever. Mind numbing doesn't begin to describe it.

I also understand that any modifications and we're on our own; again a condition I began with nearly 50 years ago when I started in this hobby. I suppose a sane man would have given up on these years ago and taken up golf... As it was when I was learning how to be a software developer so long ago: if you don't make mistakes along the way you aren't learning...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Steve Stuart »

Dennis Jones recommended this modification to me, and I followed his advice. If you look at a 'real' carrier link it does not have this web, so removing it does improve the link fit to the sprocket ring enourmously and makes the track link more prototypical in the process.
Steve

Gilbert Pun
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Gilbert Pun »

Phil Woollard wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:28 pm
Update, all the sprocket kits are now in the post, Mike has kindly supplied a journal gauge, that's now one with each kit.
Thanks to Mike Tull for offering to machine the sprockets for us, if you have missed this batch we would need at least another 8 firm orders to run them again.

Phil.
Thanks to you and Mike Tull , got the two pairs of sprockets and journal gauge, they are nice :P