New(er) radio system old(er) control system

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
Jerry Carducci
Location: The People's Paradise of California, the former Golden State
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 843 times

New(er) radio system old(er) control system

Post by Jerry Carducci »

I am the proud owner of a 2006 vintage Sd Kfz 7 to which I'm finally getting around to working with.

It has a set of black plastic cased control system modules which had been controlled by an older Hitec receiver on 35Mhz.
Even in it's heyday 35Mhz hasn't been a legal RC frequency here in the colonies and considering that I don't have the corresponding transmitter
anyway I need to replace it.

I have a whole raft of radio systems mostly newer FrSky, FreeSky, Spektrum and a few Futaba 8UAP and 9ZAP systems all of which
are on 2,4Ghz - although I still have 76Mhz FM FAAST modules for the Futaba systems as well.

My go- to system is a taranis X9D so I bound a new receiver to it and plugged all the existing modules and steering servo into it.

Save for the steering servo there was no other sounds whatsoever to disturb the tranquility of my California susnset,,,, simply put nothing
worked, not even so much as a buzz or click. The batteries area fresh pair of 7Ah gels freshly charged - i also have some brand new 24v 30Ah
LiFePo4 packs for this model but haven't tried them yet.

Bottom line question should I be able to run these older components using a more current radio system? Or should I invest in neu electronics?

I'd like to try the motors, left, right and winch independently but it's remarkably cramped in there for my big meaty hands - I can't fish the drive motors' power lines out. I've been resisting having to take this thing apart but it's looking more and more like I'll have to..

Any suggestions would be appreciated with regards to the electronics. My preference is to want to keep the controls as they are if possible; it's just a 'thing' with me...

Jerry
http://tanks.linite.com/ - RC tanks: stay home, build a tank and save a life!

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: New(er) radio system old(er) control system

Post by Adrian Harris »

Do you mean the Electronize controllers or the 4QD Vortex ones ?

The FRsky isn't particularly exotic and I've not yet found it to be incompatible with anything.

If the receiver is brand new, then you should know that FRsky changed the firmware so that new receivers only work with an upgraded version of firmware on the transmitter. When you upgrade the transmitter, it then no longer works with any other brand of receivers. Here in the UK, you have to specify which firmware you need when you order.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Jerry Carducci

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Adrian Harris wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:16 am
Do you mean the Electronize controllers or the 4QD Vortex ones ?

The FRsky isn't particularly exotic and I've not yet found it to be incompatible with anything.

If the receiver is brand new, then you should know that FRsky changed the firmware so that new receivers only work with an upgraded version of firmware on the transmitter. When you upgrade the transmitter, it then no longer works with any other brand of receivers. Here in the UK, you have to specify which firmware you need when you order.

Adrian.
Hi Adrian thanks, it is the 4QD Vortex ones, apologies, I should have been more specific than 'shiny black things' :D

I always test a newly bound receiver with a few plain servos after binding and this one does work fine with my transmitter. I'll take another
look-see at everything to ensure I haven't overlooked the obvious. I should also have mentioned that the receiver battery I'm
using is a proven one also freshly charged and I did get the model's steering servo to move just fine. Also the transmitter is operating on the latest
version of OpenTx which I manage and configure with OpenTx Companion. The ease at programming the system via my PC is just the bee's knees.
I always disliked having to use a LCD screen and too_small_for_my_fat_fingers buttons to do the job.

Jerry

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Just had a look and the frame rate for OpenTX is 9ms.

That's probably too fast for the 4QDs, as they were designed back when 22ms was the standard.

A Sabertooth 2x32A will do what you need, if you can find one, and is about half the size of just one of the Vortex boxes.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Liam Mahoney
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 230 times

Post by Liam Mahoney »

Hi Jerry
I’m not sure if my comments are appropriate but just in case you’re interested, I have used the Sabertooth and yes it is a very nice unit but I also use the CTR Talon SRX, yes you have to buy 2 but it usually ends up around the same price (down here it does). They are small and can be fitted anywhere (no exposed electronic bits).
https://store.ctr-electronics.com/talon-srx/

And yes the track links are still coming...
Thanks
Liam

Jerry Carducci

Post by Jerry Carducci »

Thanks all.

I officially have a quite the red face. Even wizened 'old hands' at this have moments....senior moments to be sure.

Without further fanfare I can say I found my error. who would have thought that a green wire would be negative! It is such on the
Vortex speed control interface cable. So my silent system was due to literally getting wires crossed although in a relatively benign way...

I can say however that this vintage electronics will work with both a Futaba 8UAP/ TM-7 2,4Ghz (FAAST) transmitter and r617FS receiver
as well as a FrSky Taranis transmitter and x8R receiver using OpenTx!

There it is...

Jerry