Mechanical simulator

Use this area for an off topic conversations not related to Armortek or Kompact Kits. Please ensure that you abide by the forum rules.
Sam Hough
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 46 times

Mechanical simulator

Post by Sam Hough »

Hi,

I know it is overkill but I'd like to simulate a mantlet spring counter balance. I thought such a thing/software/library would be easy to find but the only one I've found is MechDesigner which is expensive and seems overkill.

Anybody use anything for stuff like this?

I've only found games libraries that just approximate springs, so not Newtons per metre etc.

My current favourite plan is to use dyn4j to simulate the linkages then use the model/vector library to work out the forces.

Cheers

Sam

Sam Hough
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Mechanical simulator

Post by Sam Hough »

Thought I'd report back...

I used https://dyn4j.org/ (mainly as I'm a Java developer and it is free). It turns out it does do the forces and real world units. One pain was it specifies springs in an odd way.

I've managed to get an arrangement (modelling the model and with the springs my Dad bought)
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (16.09 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
It has got the maximum turning force down to 0.28Nm

That is with a single spring. Tiger: A Modern Study of Fgst. NR. 250031 calls the smaller spring for "stabilisation" but I wonder if it is more "higher order" for the counter balance to further reduce the maximum turning force needed?

btw I've not been working on this solidly since my first post ;)