Easy 8 Front Hatches

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Don Payne
Been liked: 3 times

Easy 8 Front Hatches

Post by Don Payne »

I’m having trouble fitting the two front hatches. With hinges installed the hatches will not sit flush or open and close. Before I ruin something, can someone tell me the trick or adjustment needed?
Attachments
32FB40BB-03A3-45D4-985F-53F14AC03987.jpeg

Andy Walker
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 42 times

Re: Easy 8 Front Hatches

Post by Andy Walker »

Hi,
I had the same trouble. You need to file some of the opening away. It gives an instruction in the manual on roughly where to do this. Basically its the front / hinge side of the opening. Even with this I found the hatches a bit awkward to open /close. Also to fit the pin I used a 4mm drill to drill through the whole hinge assembly while the hatch was in closed position so that the holes fully line up. I found this left a fair bit of play in the hinge during operation.

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

Fitting hinges on any Model Armortek included , are always difficult, plenty of adjustment, fettling, pulling and pushing especially on an opening that has that movement, keep at it gently, regards simon manning.

Don Payne

Post by Don Payne »

Thanks to both of you. Sounds like I should take off a little here and a little there until it fits. I’m back at it.

GlenStenhouse
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by GlenStenhouse »

Phew. I thought it was just me. I'm making small wedges to adjust the angle. I thought I'd glued the top plates on wrong and there was no way to get them off. Had me stumped on the first assembly.

Don Payne

Post by Don Payne »

7ED98007-98F5-4183-8008-1B802C4D1CDF.jpeg
After easing the hinge and hatch clearance a little, I used my milling matchine to change the slope on the upper face of the hatch hinge. It serves to raise the hinge helping with clearance and also tilts the hinge allowing the hatch to lay flat. It’s tricky to clamp onto a milling machine and only a small cut is needed. This could also be done with a hand file, but would take a long time. Job done.

GlenStenhouse
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by GlenStenhouse »

Don Payne wrote:
Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:19 pm
After easing the hinge and hatch clearance a little, I used my milling matchine to change the slope on the upper face of the hatch hinge. It serves to raise the hinge helping with clearance and also tilts the hinge allowing the hatch to lay flat. It’s tricky to clamp onto a milling machine and only a small cut is needed. This could also be done with a hand file, but would take a long time. Job done.
This was my way out, only I made a small wedge. Having the hinge base on an angle helps a lot.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Hi I did the same thing <I think> you did. I tapered that top surface of the hinge part by 7 deg. Now my hatches fit and open perfectly.
Best regards,
Bob