Re: Batteries for a newby

Post by John chamney »

Thanks Adam very similar to the Lucas brand batteries

jwwirds
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by jwwirds »

For the Sherman I have bought a Liontron 20 Ah 24 v LiFePO4 battery. I am in the process of testing the electronic layout. I have connected the charger to the battery and nothing happens. When I measure the voltage on the terminals with no leads connected the voltage is zero. On the charger leads the voltage is 28,8 volt. Does anyone now what could be the cause of this? Could it be the BMS?
Building Sherman Easy Eight
Leopard 2A4 ordered

Søren Sandvold
Has liked: 378 times
Been liked: 261 times

Post by Søren Sandvold »

Quick question: what kind of peak power in A, must the BMS be able to handle befire it shuts down? In other words, what kind of peak Amps does the motors pull from the battery? In this my case a Tiger 1.
TIA

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 681 times
Been liked: 268 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

I suggest you look at the main fuse. The batteries should have a rated discharge current equal to or above that to be on the safe side,.
If there is a BMS, it will protect the battery and it will be perfectly safe with a lower rating, but might get annoying if too low for your driving habits...
A little too much is about right...

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Well, all my models are equipped with telemetry. So I can see also the peak current consumption of the motors on my transmitter display. My heaviest tank is a non Armortek Porsche turret Könisgtiger with about 160 kgs, 2 x 500 watt motors and steel track links. It consumes up to 65 A peak current, but also the Armortek Jagdpanther with Vincent's steel track links consumes up to 45 A when table turning on rough grounds (the original track links may cause some less power consumption). Driving straight forward in plain grounds all my tanks consume only 3 to 5 A. My Königstiger tows a car straight forward on plain grounds with only 28 to 40 A when rolling steadily. So a simple table turn can cost much more power than towing a car! Therefore the operating conditions are very important when planning the electric equipment. Many BMS are a little tricky because they stop the tank also when the current exceeds the limit for a very short time.

Therefore only one of my models, the Bigtanks Königstiger at about 100 kgs, is equipped with a BMS. I chose a 100 A BMS which is far strong enough for all imaginable operating conditions. I think a 50 A BMS could also do the job in 99 %. My other tanks work without a BMS and can't cause such problems. A simple 80 A automatic fuse does the job very well, but a single cell voltage monitoring is essential.
kind regards
Gerhard

Robert Kovacs
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Robert Kovacs »

Hi! :)

My question would be, have you thought about this battery?
It has a built-in BMS.
https://www.nootica.com/lithium-battery ... -50ah.html

Is it worth buying a monitor? What can you recommend?
https://www.intellitecmv.com/collection ... or-bmv-700

Thank you

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

John chamney wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:48 pm
This post seems to have gone a bit astray and not really answering the question I asked .
John -

It’s not a simple question, so there isn’t a simple answer.

I suspect we all started with 2x 12v lead acid batteries. But they’re bulky and heavy, and deteriorate quite quickly. Remember that our tanks are heavy, and need a lot of power to move around, let alone sound, turret rotation, gun recoil …… so people are exploring more modern alternatives.

A simple question is: what do you intend to do with your tank when you’ve finished it ? If you’re just going to run it around the garden then lead acid is fine. But if you’re going to take it to shows, especially multi-day ones like TankFest (where you would be welcomed !) you might wish to consider a more robust solution.

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

jwwirds
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 26 times

Post by jwwirds »

jwwirds wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:08 pm
For the Sherman I have bought a Liontron 20 Ah 24 v LiFePO4 battery. I am in the process of testing the electronic layout. I have connected the charger to the battery and nothing happens. When I measure the voltage on the terminals with no leads connected the voltage is zero. On the charger leads the voltage is 28,8 volt. Does anyone now what could be the cause of this? Could it be the BMS?
Well, the people I got the battery from cleared this up. Because it's a battery with a bluetooth connection to the BMS it shuts down when the voltage drops to low. The solution was to open the battery and charge briefly directly on the cells bypassing the BMS per the manual they sent me. This worked a treat.
Building Sherman Easy Eight
Leopard 2A4 ordered

John chamney
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by John chamney »

Chris

Thanks for a answer I can understand . Being new to this I thought asking the question I would get a simple answer and I could be on my merry way to the nearest battery shop . Having looked at Phil’s chieftain post I can quite easily identify the batteries used , it would be nice to see the alternative to this so I can make a price comparison. Although people are going on about alternatives Iam unsure as to which is a good brand what size and so on I should be looking at . Just call me lazy but if someone has gone through the process already am sure it will be with more knowledge than me . Thanks

John.
John -

It’s not a simple question, so there isn’t a simple answer.

I suspect we all started with 2x 12v lead acid batteries. But they’re bulky and heavy, and deteriorate quite quickly. Remember that our tanks are heavy, and need a lot of power to move around, let alone sound, turret rotation, gun recoil …… so people are exploring more modern alternatives.

A simple question is: what do you intend to do with your tank when you’ve finished it ? If you’re just going to run it around the garden then lead acid is fine. But if you’re going to take it to shows, especially multi-day ones like TankFest (where you would be welcomed !) you might wish to consider a more robust solution.

All the best,

Chris
[/quote]

Donald Suttie
Has liked: 348 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Donald Suttie »

What type and where do you get the chargers for the Sealed Lead Acid golf buggy batteries? (Lucas type)

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

I use 2 x Ctek MXS 5 chargers, which you can get from Amazon or Halfords.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Robert Kovacs wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:34 am

It has a built-in BMS.

Thank you
Hi Robert,

this battery is a little overdressed in capacity and price, I would say. LiFe cells can be discharged to nearly 100 %; therefore 25 to 35 Ah should be sufficient for a 'normal' use and are equivalent to 40 - 60 Ah SLAs being discharged only to 50 %.

I don't use fix installed voltage monitors. A simple multimeter does the job (and some more) and can also be used in the field. But I highly recommend a telemetry system to have monitoring and warnings quite on the transmitter display when driving.
kind regards
Gerhard

Robert Kovacs
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Robert Kovacs »

Gerhard Michel wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:16 pm
Robert Kovacs wrote:

It has a built-in BMS.

Thank you
Hi Robert,

this battery is a little overdressed in capacity and price, I would say. LiFe cells can be discharged to nearly 100 %; therefore 25 to 35 Ah should be sufficient for a 'normal' use and are equivalent to 40 - 60 Ah SLAs being discharged only to 50 %.

I don't use fix installed voltage monitors. A simple multimeter does the job (and some more) and can also be used in the field. But I highly recommend a telemetry system to have monitoring and warnings quite on the transmitter display when driving.
Hi Gerhard

Thanks for the answers, can I still contact you if I need help? :)

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

John chamney wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:07 pm
Chris

Thanks for a answer I can understand . Being new to this I thought asking the question I would get a simple answer and I could be on my merry way to the nearest battery shop . Having looked at Phil’s chieftain post I can quite easily identify the batteries used , it would be nice to see the alternative to this so I can make a price comparison. Although people are going on about alternatives Iam unsure as to which is a good brand what size and so on I should be looking at . Just call me lazy but if someone has gone through the process already am sure it will be with more knowledge than me . Thanks

John.
John -

Very roughly, LiFePO4 batteries are about 5 times the price of lead acid, but should last at least 5 times as long. So the choice is fairly cost-neutral - it depends on your available cash ! :wink: LiFePO4’s are smaller and lighter, which is also a consideration. And the ‘power curve’ (techy bit) is more consistent, ie. you get the same output until the battery runs out, whereas lead acid wear down gradually from the start.

Some people build their own LiFePO4’s from individual linked cells ….. no, me neither :lol:. After advice I went to tracer.com, and bought their 24v 16a battery. You’ll need a charger and connection lead as well.

But, as I said before, it all depends on what you want to do with your Chieftain. Remember that’s it’s one of Armortek’s biggest and more power-hungry models. Very impressive, though.

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Robert Kovacs wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:09 am
Gerhard Michel wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:16 pm
Robert Kovacs wrote:

It has a built-in BMS.

Thank you
Hi Robert,

Hi Gerhard

Thanks for the answers, can I still contact you if I need help? :)
Hi Robert,

of course you may contact me for hints to this topic.
kind regards
Gerhard