Has liked: 756 times
Been liked: 690 times

Benedini rotary switch

Post by Robert Tanzer »

Hello
I read on Benedini home page:

Rotary switch
Price: No longer available
Hint: Some programmable transmitters can emulate the encoder signal.

Any one that know how to do this, that would be amazing.
I have a Frsky Taranis-E radio, so hope the radio can do it.
But all my friends out there, have you any idea how to do this that Thomas says?

Please please help me if you can.
Robert

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1264 times
Been liked: 1454 times

Re: Benedini rotary switch

Post by Adrian Harris »

FrSky do a six way encoder for their radios, which would normally get you:

1: Engine Start
2: Engine Revving
3: Main Gun
4: Machine Gun
5: Machine Gun
6: Commanders Voice

I very rarely use anything other than these.

With OpenTX you could program a mixes to use one of the rotary controls to select the sound and a toggle switch to activate it, but you wouldn't have the detents of the encoder to know when you were in exactly the right place for the sound you want. The less sounds the better the selection accuracy would be.

I've bought a few of the miniature 12 way switches to see if I could make up some encoders myself, but it's been pretty low priority as I use push buttons on my TX.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Ed Groenenberg
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by Ed Groenenberg »

Robert Tanzer wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:38 pm
Hello
I read on Benedini home page:

Rotary switch
Hint: Some programmable transmitters can emulate the encoder signal.

Any one that know how to do this, that would be amazing.
I have a Frsky Taranis-E radio, so hope the radio can do it.
But all my friends out there, have you any idea how to do this that Thomas says?

Please please help me if you can.
Robert
You could configure the TSB mini / TBS mini v2 using PROP2 or PROP3.
You can either use the left and right position of a joystick, or a 3 position switch to select sounds.
It is described in the manual of the TBS mini card, and in the TBS flash V4 manual.
Both can be downloaded from his website.

Ed
You only live once., use it to the max!

Robert Tanzer

Post by Robert Tanzer »

Thank you for your reply.
But I thought one should be able to program various buttons / switches to the different sounds.
So you dont have to flipp switches several times etc. This you can do in most radios.

But as Thomas says: Hint: Some programmable transmitters can emulate the encoder signal.

Robert

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

In encoder mode, the Benedini board reacts to the change in the signal, from a steady value to one which signifies the sound you want.

It would be possible to program the Taranis to emulate this with switches but each switch would only be able to select two sounds, so you would run out of switches quite quickly. The RadioMaster has six buttons across the front of the radio which might be a possible solution.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Robert Tanzer

Post by Robert Tanzer »

Adrian Harris wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:59 am
In encoder mode, the Benedini board reacts to the change in the signal, from a steady value to one which signifies the sound you want.

It would be possible to program the Taranis to emulate this with switches but each switch would only be able to select two sounds, so you would run out of switches quite quickly. The RadioMaster has six buttons across the front of the radio which might be a possible solution.

Adrian.
Hello
I have 10 + 10 buttons on the front of my radio, but that's not my question.
My question is that I want to be able to use a button to produce a certain sound and at the same time make, for example, a movement "Recoil" to move at the same time. Without having to press different buttons.
And so I dont have to flick a switch several times.

Hope you understand me better now.

Robert Tanzer

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

For that you need the Mixes screen on an OpenTX transmitter, where you can program a mix that allows one input source to affect several different channels on the receiver. You can then enhance this further with the Logical Switches and Special Functions screens.

Adrian.

Robert Tanzer

Post by Robert Tanzer »

Adrian Harris wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:20 pm
For that you need the Mixes screen on an OpenTX transmitter, where you can program a mix that allows one input source to affect several different channels on the receiver. You can then enhance this further with the Logical Switches and Special Functions screens.

Adrian.
Ok thanks.
I will try this, but I am not a master of the radio.
But I will try.

Robert

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

I would use Open Companion to try things out.

it is much quicker than scrolling through the screens on the transmitter and you can simulate everything to make sure it does what you want before uploading it to the radio.

Adrian.

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 263 times
Been liked: 312 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

After looking at his page, it does not say that it has been discontinued, just not available at the moment.

Likely he has sold out of stock & cannot get a new lot of circuit boards produced at a reasonable cost to keep the price of the end product below a level at which it would sell.

With working for an electronics manufacturing firm, I know that the availability of certain chips at the moment is not sufficient to meet demand and prices are going through the roof. One that we need for one customer´s product has increased from €15 to €75 each within the last 12 months.
The product will not sell if they increase the price of it by €60 so they are not ordering any more at the present time and have reserved their existing stock to cover any servicing contracts they have in place.

Robert Tanzer

Post by Robert Tanzer »

Mark Heaps wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 3:58 pm
After looking at his page, it does not say that it has been discontinued, just not available at the moment.

Likely he has sold out of stock & cannot get a new lot of circuit boards produced at a reasonable cost to keep the price of the end product below a level at which it would sell.

With working for an electronics manufacturing firm, I know that the availability of certain chips at the moment is not sufficient to meet demand and prices are going through the roof. One that we need for one customer´s product has increased from €15 to €75 each within the last 12 months.
The product will not sell if they increase the price of it by €60 so they are not ordering any more at the present time and have reserved their existing stock to cover any servicing contracts they have in place.
From Benedinis Homepage:
This rotary switch / push button combination must be connected at a spare proportional channel of your transmitter.
For mechanical installatioin already present extension places of your TX can be used usually. (Only two wholes are necessary)
The desired sound is selcted by one of the 12 rotary switch position and triggerd by the push button.
This allows a convenient, quick and direct sound selection.
In principal the encoder is a simple potentiometer with 12 fix positions.
Hint: Some programmable transmitters can emulate the encoder signal

But I can misunderstand.
I have also send Thomas an letter and ask he, but he is out of office for a bit.
Robert

Mark Heaps
Has liked: 263 times
Been liked: 312 times

Post by Mark Heaps »

http://www.benedini.de/html/sound.html#Discontinued

Not listed there, & that is why I suggested it is just not available at the moment, or for the foreseeable future, due to the production cost at the present time.
Not likely that he would discontinue the product without something to replace it. But very likely they are just too expensive to produce at the moment.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 1000 times
Been liked: 2061 times

Post by Stephen White »

Robert, a lot of what you're asking for is covered in my Centurion thread, although in the case of making a lot of things happen on one switch, I also used the Beier sound card. Nevertheless, as Adrian says, you can do a lot with OpenTX but do use the Companion to try everything out.

Robert Tanzer

Post by Robert Tanzer »

Stephen White wrote:
Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:22 pm
Robert, a lot of what you're asking for is covered in my Centurion thread, although in the case of making a lot of things happen on one switch, I also used the Beier sound card. Nevertheless, as Adrian says, you can do a lot with OpenTX but do use the Companion to try everything out.
Thank you very mush Stephen White.
i will read your Centurion thread. :D

Robert T