No 82

Forum for discussion relating to the Universal Carrier
Mark Alcock
Been liked: 7 times

No 82

Post by Mark Alcock »

Hi all

I'm new here but have been building models of various scales for over 40 years. Looking forward to getting on and building No82, going to base it loosely on a vehicle from the 7th Armoured Division called 'puddle jumper' armed with a .50 cal during the Normandy campaign. I won't bore you with the general build but will post anything that's worthy of your interest.

Mark.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: No 82

Post by Adrian Harris »

Welcome Mark.

First time I heard the name Puddle Jumper was on Stargate Atlantis :-)

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Welcome Mark

I don't think there's any such thing as a boring general build in my book, purging your model with pictures and descriptions is always asset to those who will follow. And maybe looking back on the build you'll find a completeness of the journey.

Experience of the forum usually shows that each one of us builds the models in different ways. Some will go mega, some will go subtle.
A cross section of the UC builds shows the diversity in the final stages and massive changes to the final drive systems.

Anyway, if you do a good job in pictures, it saves me trying to make head or tail of the instructions when I get round to building mine 8)
(Sod the journey, lets hit the bar and the pool!) :lol:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Mark Alcock

Post by Mark Alcock »

Had a couple of hours on 82 today, built up the suspension bogies and and tried the hull plates for fitment, all good this is a very well engineered kit. Have an idea of using an 80 amp RC crawler ESC in the carrier which I will be able to program and set up to suit the carriers characteristics.

Björn Johansson
Has liked: 434 times
Been liked: 403 times

Post by Björn Johansson »

Hi Mark
I´m also a newbie here , but ecco John there´s always somehting to learn from all people here.
Welcome
Kind regards from Björn

Mark Alcock

Post by Mark Alcock »

Forgot to mention yesterday that the sleeves on the main suspension units are a little to big for the springs to go over as has been mentioned in other threads. Having no lathe I decided to improvise and used my battery drill. The middle sleeve will go into the drill chuck and can be turned down with a needle file on both sides. The rounded sleeves on the end of the springs won't sit in the drill chuck so I used one of the middle sleeves and using a 3mm nut and bolt bolted the rounded sleeve to it so it could be held in the drill chuck and turned down accordingly.
uc.jpg
uc.jpg (14.56 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
uc1.jpg
uc1.jpg (23.67 KiB) Viewed 5911 times
uc2.jpg
uc2.jpg (16.69 KiB) Viewed 5911 times

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Nice,
The portable lathe made by Im-pro. Got two myself 240vac and a 14vdc for the small stuff 8)
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Mark Alcock

Post by Mark Alcock »

At bit more progress, managed to get most of the model into a coat of etch primer yesterday and today started to put a bit of green on. Used Halfords etch primer and using Tamiya flat olive green with my airbrush.
Attachments
paint 1.jpg
paint 1.jpg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 5692 times
paint 2.jpg
paint 2.jpg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 5692 times

Mark Alcock

Post by Mark Alcock »

Evening all.
Not much to report this week due to time restraints but I did manage to pin the tracks together.
A question for those UC owners who have purchased the motion pack what do you get in the pack?
I assume motor and gearbox, ESC, Differential, brakes etc anything else?

Cheers

Mark.

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mark,

Motor & gear box, differential, brake assemblies, 3 servos, esc and wiring harness.

Dennis.
Last edited by Dennis Jones on Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Alcock

Post by Mark Alcock »

A little more progress with suspension and tracks test fitted. Tracks are a little slack even with the adjusters at full stretch so I'll look to take a couple of links out during final assembly.
track 3.jpg
track 3.jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 4687 times
track 4.jpg
track 4.jpg (26.82 KiB) Viewed 4687 times

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mark,

I ended up with 154 links, 10 less than was in the manual.

Dennis

Mark Alcock

Post by Mark Alcock »

Dennis Jones wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:42 am
Hi Mark,

I ended up with 154 links, 10 less than was in the manual.

Dennis
Hi Dennis.
The tracks have 162 links at present so I reckon they may well end up in the 150's.

Mark.

Mark Alcock

Post by Mark Alcock »

Hi all.
Hope you all had a good Christmas.
Not done much to the carrier for a while so I'm hoping to a do bit this week while I'm on holiday. My motion pack arrived earlier this month and I'm going to install it as is except I'm going to replace the ESC for a Hobbywing quicrun 1080 unit which you can program various settings in the ESC which will give the model an adjustable more controlled power up take and drag braking function. You can also set how much power you want in each direction so to simulate reverse gear I'd use probably 25% power when going backwards rather having to control it on the transmitter. I'll let you know how it goes.