Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

Awesome build! Can't wait to see it in motion! :D
A little too much is about right...

Peter Withers
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 48 times

Re: Twin motor drive

Post by Peter Withers »

The Ambulance UC is now nearing completion (famous last words...). The photos show a few of the details. I made a couple of jerry can like things out of scrap brass soldered together, hopefully they convey the right impression! Same with the 'tow rope'. I finally reinstalled the sound system and in one of the photos you can see the speaker and grill inside the radiator shroud facing forward into the cockpit. I'm adding a neutral position to the arduino code so that you can rev the motor while remaining stationary!

My partner made some nice little seat cushions which got sprayed with paint. Just adds a touch of comfort. In the photos from the rear you can see the brackets that brace the bearing carriers to the rear plate. Also on show are the stretcher rails (stretchers may follow) and you can see the extensions to the engine housing to cover the twin motor setup.

I repainted the red crosses and got them a bit more square and even. I was going to repaint the whole thing but decided that I kind of like the slightly worn patina that the paint has developed over its time on the bench.

I have found how to take videos with my camera at last so maybe this weekend we can get some film of it in action. Fingers crossed.

Pete
Attachments
done 6.jpg
done 4.jpg
done 5.jpg
done 3.jpg
done 2.jpg
done 1.jpg

Graham P Hough
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 193 times

Post by Graham P Hough »

Nice work. An interesting variation of the original kit. It does open the door to other versions, well done.

Peter Withers

Post by Peter Withers »

I managed to get some MP4 footage of the Ambulance driving around tonight. Does anyone know whether it is possible to post this on the forum or do I need my own youtube channel or something? I tried attaching sub 3MB clips via the attachments button but I get a file type error message.

Pete W

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Post by Stephen White »

Pete, it's YouTube I fear. Not too difficult to set up though. Stephen

Peter Withers

Post by Peter Withers »

So I took the plunge and set up a youtube account... The following link should take you to a film of the Ambulance driving around in gentle circles at a range of speeds.

it will apparently appear for public viewing at 7pm this evening.

I left the sound module off (apart from the odd hiccup due to my transmitter setup). Apologies for the shaky-cam footage, I had the camera clamped to the transmitter and was trying to drive by watching the screen instead of the UC itself. Also apologies for the chainsaw noise in the background. Hopefully you can hear how quiet the drive train is, those Wickes battery drills do seem to be of remarkable quality.

At low speeds there is some slight notchiness evident in the inside (slow) track during gentle turns, I think this may be down to the algorithm in the Arduino, it's trying to do some big maths and may be getting a bit steppy.

Hopefully the link and the video work, let me know what you think.

Pete

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1383 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

The link says the video is private. I think you need to change the settings to either Unlisted or Public.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Peter Withers

Post by Peter Withers »

Adrian, you were a bit early, it went public at 7pm.

Pete

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 273 times

Looks very nice! Moves smoothly, controlled and can turn on a dime. Neat! :D

John Clarke
Been liked: 1624 times

Post by John Clarke »

Excellent, good run time too. 8) Would love to see it negotiating uneven, hilly ground, getting that cool suspension working.

Do you still have the track warping system fitted or has it been locked in position?

You'll have to nail a driver in position too, I have a thing about driver less vehicles.
Being old fashioned "I don't like em Mr Mainwaring"
dadsarmy5.jpg
dadsarmy5.jpg (50.61 KiB) Viewed 2730 times
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Peter Withers

Post by Peter Withers »

I strongly suspect it will run for quite a while, it's got a 3Ah Makita drill battery and they seem to run for ages even under heavy use. I don't think this is taxing it particularly.

The track warping has been removed and the cross shaft locked in place, it's all down to the steering algorithm in the Arduino. Next time out I'm considering the local BMX track with a few hills and bumps. I have bumped it up and down a few things in the garden and the suspension does seem to react very well.

Hmmm, we may have to agree to differ on the whole driver thing. I never had an action man when I was young and I don't feel a great urge now :D Maybe I could do a kind of man shaped amorphous blob with a tin helmet...

Anyway, thanks for the positive feedback, it is appreciated.

Pete

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

Action man ! Action Man ! What are you taking about? never had an Action man? were you brought up in a monastery? or too ashamed to admit you had a Tommy gunn figure. :lol:

I'll have you know they are now updated, Dragon figures, are expensive "authentic life action figures". :roll:
Flimsy, questionable quality and libel to fall apart due to poor quality adhesives just looking at them.

But they do add a certain scale effect, which adds to the overall perception of the model.
My opinion,
and I don't like driver less vehicles in this blameless society :lol:

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 683 times
Been liked: 273 times

John Clarke wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:15 am
"I don't like em Mr Mainwaring"
Was that the fellow they caught sleeping in the passenger seat while his vehicle was speeding along on the highway?

John Clarke

Post by John Clarke »

I don't understand why tech designers believe that humans are so responsible. :roll: That humans will be able to recognize when something goes wrong with the technology designed help and secure their lives and act accordingly in time.

It's just plain human stupidity to expect an airplane type auto pilot system to work safely when vehicles are just meters apart travelling in multi directions, at multiple speeds, especially on poorly maintained roads. With Sat Nav glitches and so many unexpected unknowns.
The powers that think humans are responsible, that they will maintain their vehicles and will not become complacent (lazy) is totally beyond my understanding.

Damaged or dirty sensors are common place in my line of work, thankfully only a few products will get damaged. Too expect certain types of drivers and I'm not just talking gender here that have trouble just parking. (we all have our bad days ) To choose when it's safe to go "full auto" is just beyond belief.

So Peter, put an Eddie in the driving seat, prevent any accidents avoiding blaming the guy with the control box :lol:

Derek Attree
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Peter
I had sent this as a PM but I am not sure you have seen it as its still showing in my outbox so I thought I would ask here as well so
I was wondering if you could let us know the dimensions of the spacer you added to the sprocket.

Eg the diameter and the thickness .

Love your build I hope to get onto mine soon as finishing a Elefant to Ferdinand conversion at the moment.

Many thanks.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions