Local Bailey Bridge

All topics related to Armortek's Bailey Bridge
Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 781 times

Local Bailey Bridge

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Good morning all
I hope you don't mind my sharing with you my local Bailey Bridge. I have known about it for years, cycled over it, paddled under it.

However with my own AT bridge unit, it is seen in a different light. this bridge is situated in Lowther Park, near Penrith and was home to CDL training during WW2. Concrete hard standings can be seen in the area, although a lot have been broken up over the years.

Cheers for now
Charles
bb1a.jpg
bb2a.jpg
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Local Bailey Bridge

Post by Stephen White »

Great photos Charles. I’d leave calculating bridge classifications to clever people like Sappers but as a Tankie, I just want to know that It’s not going to collapse if I’m the second tank across. (The first generally gets away with it). I believe the length of unsupported span influences the bridge classification and a single - single like this one was able to get to about class 20. The CDL Matilda was class 30 at least. So I’d be looking for somewhere else to cross.
You know it’s a bit iffy when the Sapper iBridge commander wishes you luck as you approach his bridge.

Double - double for the Open Day in September anyone?

Charles A Stewart

Thank you Stephen for your reply, I believe the Bailey bridge is only use by walkers/cyclist and estate vehicles. There is on the other side of the pack horse bridge another wider set of stone built abutments and possible fording site.

I'll take a picture next time I am there.
Cheers
Charles.
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Charles A Stewart

Some good weather has allowed me to have a go at spraying, mixed results, but learning. 10 more side units to go. I am going to try and fit wooden ribands, we'll see how that goes :?

Have a good weekend.

Cheers Charles
Attachments
bridge 1a.jpg
bridge 2a.jpg

Charles A Stewart

Good evening all.

Had a walk round the block the other day, to have a look at our local bridge again. I have mentioned an interest in using wood for my Ribands, so we (family thing) measured some bolts, distance between etc. As we do.

Noticed that the riband isn't per the book.

I can appreciate local interpretation of requirements/needs, which I suggest is the case here, there was a sawmill 1/4 mile away(I have worked there). So when replacement timbers were require there you go.

My point is that the outside of the riband in this case is vertical, no chamfer, where as the roadside has, see picture. which may allow the use of the existing model frame to secure the wood without loss of width.

Discuss :D
Charles
Attachments
WP_20210531_10_19_07_Pro_LI[8413].jpg

Charles A Stewart

Good evening all.

I was supposed to be sorting the garage out this morning, but could not resist fettling the bridge a bit before I needed to move it. I have previously mention my local bridge has vertical outside edges.

I have replicated it here.
Riband 1.jpg
Riband 2.jpg
riband 3.jpg
A happy compromise, I think and only required 4 new holes.

Cheers Charles

Charles A Stewart

Evening all.

I am no authority on Bailey Bridges.

A post by Robert Morley (USA), why can't Armortek post just the steel parts of the bridge, this would to me seem reasonable.

Robert's post has me now wondering which wood was preferred for the bb14. chess/treadway?

The Bailey Uniflote Handbook, refers to timber. Would this be a hardwood, a softwood or locally sourced timber?

As someone who works in the woodland industry my personal choice would be to look at European Larch, my opinion only.

It would be interesting to find out more.

Cheers all

Charles

Charles A Stewart

Evening all.
Had a break from the Chieftain; light airs allowed for some outdoor spraying, so I thought I would get as much painted as I could.

A first coat of DBG on components was achieved, however more work will be required, It is an intricate piece of kit. The units are now paired up and the pins fit :D
bb3.jpg
The other Transom units are complete, but again more paint work required.

Cheers all
charles

Charles A Stewart

Hi all.

A little update, spans all put together. The ramps may have to wait a bit for new paint, though I may just get away with what is left :wink:
bb span 1.jpg
cheers Charles

Tim Page
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 423 times

Post by Tim Page »

I took part in a weekend tactical WW2 re-enactment at Pippingford park 4 years ago. The site is still used a military training area but there is a fantastic Bailey bridge in situ at the South end of the park.
My detachment was tasked with defending the bridge against the British Airbourne forces for 36 hours. In the end we were forced to 'blow the bridge' and then fall back.
A tough but memorable weekend.
Pip_Bailey.jpg
Cheers
Tim
2008 Armortek Panther ausf.G (early) #0035
2012 Armortek Tiger 1e (Late) #001
2009 Armortek BefehlsPanzer 111 ausf.J #0011 (SOLD)
2010 Armortek A34 Comet #0031 (SOLD)

Charles A Stewart

Cheers Tim.
Thank you for your picture, much appreciated. You didn't happen to notice the shape/profile of the "ribands while guarding"?

No worries 😊 if not.
Thanks

Charles

Charles A Stewart

Good evening all.

I thought I might share the progress of my Bailey Bridge. The recent good weather has meant I can paint outside, also a break from the Chieftain :roll:.

Today we put it all together in the garden, assembly was quite straight forward; although there will be some tweaking of the ramps attachments.

I don't think I am going to put 32 nuts & bolts in place to attach the ramps, pinning perhaps with a long bolt "down the way". This should prevent the issue observed at the 2019 open day (the King Tiger knocks a ramp out off place). Further it should also mean a quicker assembly/take down too.
bb9.jpg
Later the allies repossessed it:-
bb6.jpg
bb7.jpg
And finally, when stored the bridge makes a really useful shelf system, could be worth a bit, maybe :D
bb8.jpg
Cheers Charles PS Video link to follow shortly.

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Great work Charles
Doubling up as garage shelving too, nice :lol:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Charles A Stewart

Thought I had pasted this earlier.

Cheers Charles

Charles A Stewart

Good evening all.

Spring has sprung.

The grass is riz.

Gardning begun.

And so's the bridge.

I will spare you all more poetry, as they say pictures paint a thousand words.
foundations, friends building waste, repurposed
foundations, friends building waste, repurposed
Deck in place.
Deck in place.
Ramps fitted.
Ramps fitted.
Overview or drivers view maybe.
Overview or drivers view maybe.
I am hoping to extend the wildflower plots within this former paddock so have been using the cut turfs on the tank track.

Have a good bank Hol.

Cheers Charles