2019 King Tiger

Forum for discussion relating to the King Tiger
Tom Wittstock
Been liked: 18 times

2019 King Tiger

Post by Tom Wittstock »

All, I'm currently fitting the Aluminum Hub caps with great difficultly. This may have been talked about already but could someone give me some advice on how to approach this problem without destroying the aluminum threads?

Many thanks Tom :shock:

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Re: 2019 King Tiger

Post by Phil Woollard »

Tom, use a rotary wire brush and buff the hell out of the male thread following the thread direction, then use a little lubricant and they will fit just fine. 8)
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 954 times
Been liked: 2024 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Tom Wittstock

Post by Tom Wittstock »

Thanks Phil and Brian......getting help is always a positive thing......thanks again.

Tom

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Tom,
I'll add one more thing to whats been said - file a small chamfer on the male end of threads, and gently beburr the female threads with a rotary tool like below to put a small chamfer on the female side.

All parts from Armortek are deburred in a vibratory deburr machine (with deburring stones and water). This leaves a very fine powdery abrasive grit in the threads which can give you fits.
1) Clean the parts as Phil mentioned, or with toothbrush and soapy water. Recommend clean all parts actually. The wirebrush will remove remaining burrs from threads much better than a toothbrush. The brush and soap will remove any machining coolant residue and last bits of grit in the threads.
2) The anti-seize Brian mentioned will be perfect for keeping the caps removable for servicing - esp once parts are painted. The paint will bond them in place without a compound like anti-seize. A tiny amount on threads is all that's needed.
3) A Chamfer helps threads start to engage with each other and removes any burr at end/start of thread.

I also make a small tool to help tighten and remove the hubcaps. They be a little tough on the fingers to remove once the tank has been driven thru mud and water.
Best regards, Bob

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 435 times
Been liked: 781 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Hi Tom, Phil, Robert, Brian.
As a Newby myself I fell into this trap while unpacking my KT, dry fit a bit her & there,as you do. Long & tall of it, I had to replace one set, lesson learnt and I will be talking on board the info offered .

I will order some Permatex tomorrow.

Question, will Permatex anti seize work as a lubricant when tapping thread into aluminium?

I hope I haven't hi jacked this thread, if so I apologise.

Cheers Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Tom Wittstock

Post by Tom Wittstock »

All, put some Permatex on a paint brush and covered the Aluminum thread and with little effort I was able to thread the hub cap into place....

Thanks again for the tip... :D