Left tracks get stuck on turns

Forum for discussion relating to the Elefant
Wael Hazin
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 23 times

Left tracks get stuck on turns

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hello members,

I drove my Elefant for the first time today and it was very enjoyable. But when ever I go into grass, the left tracks will not turn in the opposite direction as they should. Only in grass. Left or right, same problem. On rocky or pavement terrain I have no issues. I know the grass puts more strain on the drives, but the right tracks have no issues. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Wael

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 961 times
Been liked: 2046 times

Re: Left tracks get stuck on turns

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Check the battery power make sure it’s got high voltage. Try again.

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hi Brian,

I’m pretty sure it’s not the battery power. I have a power/voltage/current monitor LCD and my voltage is 26.5V. And the left side that jams on grass works fine on pavements and rock/gravel.

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 687 times
Been liked: 296 times

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

There are three possibilities:
1 Mechanical issues: Remove the motor and test by hand in suspended condition and on the ground for mechanical binding.
2 Electrical issues: Get yourself a multimeter and check the connections to the motors and compare. First check the resistance (to the motor) and then voltage (at the motor) under load.
3 Radio issues: Switch right and left track connections at the receiver. If the problem moves to the other track, the radio setup is the issue.

Best of luck!
A little too much is about right...

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Which motion pack do you have ?

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hello members,

First, thank you all for trying to help. Please note the tank has been tested while on stands. Did not notice any kind of binding. Also the tank has no issue driving straight forward or reverse. Both tracks move without issue. It’s only turning on grass that the left tracks seem to lock up. It does donuts on pavement. It’s driving me nuts.

Adrian, it has the motion pack that came with it. The silver box ones and not the most recent version. I hope this helps.

Regards

yves mouton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 555 times

Post by yves mouton »

Hello Wael,

I in the speed control module are 4 little dip switches, these you have to them in
position 1 or position 2 i forgot which one, but it is nr 1 or 2
Hope this helps.

Best regards Yves

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

DIP switch 4 selects whether Speed Control 3 limits the output current at 5A or 60A. 5A is not enough for the tank to run on grass

With the tank switched off, change the position of switch 4 and you should be able to run normally.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

That would for sure explain it. I will test it this weekend and report back. Again, thanks for all the great help!

Regards
Wael

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hello guys,

I am happen to report that was the issue and the problem is gone. Thanks to everyone for your help. It was greatly appreciated. Who’s selling some detail aftermarket parts for the Elefant?

Thanks again
Wael

Derek Attree
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 158 times

Post by Derek Attree »

Hi Wael
Armorpax do a few parts that you can use.

Regards

Derek
we must stop making stupid predictions

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hi Adrian,

Do the new red motion control boxes have current limits? I’m having issues with my chieftain where only one track rotates when turning. When the tank is lifted, the tracks function appropriately where the tracks rotate in different directions. It’s not confined to one side of the tracks. For example, if I turn right, it could be either side of the tracks that stalls. Can this be an issue from the tracks being too long or short? As always, your help is greatly appreciated

Regards
Wael

Charles A Stewart
Has liked: 471 times
Been liked: 857 times

Post by Charles A Stewart »

Good morning Wael.

I have had this with my Chieftain when I ran it last year, unfortunately I have it on the bench presently. One of the jobs I have done is to fit countersunk screws into the bazooka plate supports as there was rubbing on the tyres. As I say I haven't been able to check if this was the cause :?
InkedWheel scuffing 1_LI.jpg
Cheers Charles
Chieftain No.34, functional. PKW IV (2002), operational. Panther G No.18 (2022), started, well some of it is. Series 1 4x4 No.28 and a Bailey Bridge.

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the feedback. Greatly appreciated. I did take a look to see any binding but did not see anything. I will recheck again. With that said, any current limiting on the new red modules?

Thanks
Wael

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

The current limiting on the new modules is around twice the normal running current, so very unlikely that you're hitting that.

You can normally see a track which is physically binding by the way it locks up. I can't really explain it but it looks different to when a motor is going into current limit. It's much more abrupt.

Adrian.