Keith's Stug

Forum for discussion relating to the Panzer III/StuG III
keithbraun
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 11 times

Keith's Stug

Post by keithbraun »

Hi guys (and girls). I've been reading posts on this forum for a few years now and I'm fascinated by some of the detail that you obtain on your kits. I've been out of the modelling world for over 20 years. I'm now the proud owner of an Armortek Stug (No 13). Working with metals is a new experience for me and I have so many questions on the the build subject and look forward to hearing any advice from you. I plan to build my Stug based on the Italian campaign. I'm also jumping the gun by learning as much as I can about animatronics and automata. My intention is to have a couple of crew members and at least 6 fallschirmjager, hitching a ride, moving and carrying out some basic actions. I'm moving too far forward here, so my first question is; What paint are you using? Tamiya spray cans or something else? Thanks in advance. I'll look forward to posting some pictures in the future and more than likely will be asking some more questions.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: Keith's Stug

Post by Adrian Harris »

Hi Keith and welcome.

Check out the Knowledgebase for advice topics on painting. I do think there are as many ways to paint as there are builders.

Always start with a decent primer, but then you can paint with rattle cans, spray guns, Tamiya sprays, airbrush. People tend to go with what they know, or treat it as a learning experience and try something new.

The wonderful thing with these metal kits is that Nitromors fixes any bad paint job :lol: :lol:

I would recommend trying on scrap metal first, with anything you intend to do with the kit, in case it doesn't go the way you intended.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

florian rudolf
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 632 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Wellcome in the StuG Owners Club. :D
Let us know how your StuG is growing up.

Steen Vøler
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 493 times

Post by Steen Vøler »

Welcome to the StuG club Keith
cheers
Steen

www.panzerteam.dk

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Keith and welcome, you can't fail to get advice from someone, probably the best Forum around, and I have been a member of many. You will enjoy building the Stug....Mick

keithbraun

Post by keithbraun »

Its been over a year since I received my Stug and I've enjoyed every minute of its construction. I have encountered a few problems eg; the hatch hinges binding, mainly caused by the pins being too tight. I've also Had some problems with setting up the torsion bars and found that the model pointed down at the front. When I visited the factory on the 'open day' I bought a bag of mixed nuts, bolts and springs. I managed to correct the problem I had with the front end and in addition to that my mixed bag of bits had some stiff springs, obviously from another model, I inserted 4 of these into the shock absorbers, which has helped immensely. I'm also finding my way with r/c components, having never owned any r/c models in the past. I have some grand ideas of what I want to do with my Stug and future models, of which I'll explain later. Like I've said before, this is a whole new world to me and look forward to finishing my Stug and maybe visiting a few shows next year. I'd like to post a few pictures, so, if anyone can give me a step by step guide on how to do this it will be much appreciated.

florian rudolf
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 632 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi Keith,
wellcome to the StuG Owners Club;)
Wish you much fun, building this nice model.
To your first question: I'm using an airbrush an Tamiya and revell paint.

Cheers
Florian

keithbraun

Post by keithbraun »

I've now worked out how to upload photos, after reading someone else post. As you can see from my photo, I've yet to 'weather' it and add a few personal items. I've yet to do some research but my Stug is belonging to the Herman Goring division centred around Cassino. Though I haven't gone for a fully detailed model, as its my first, I've decided to explore a different approach to the build.
Attachments
PB132240.JPG

Björn Johansson
Has liked: 434 times
Been liked: 403 times

Post by Björn Johansson »

Welcome to the Stug club/forum
I´m sure you find all the help you need here so much knowledge in here.
Will look forward to read about you´r build. :)
Kind regards from Björn