Turret Bearing alignment

Forum for discussion relating to the Chietain MBT
Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 270 times

Turret Bearing alignment

Post by Richard Goodwin »

I did a dry fit of the bearing today which I thought went ok until I installed the turret itself. It wasn't central about the casting. After removing the turret I took some measurements of the distance between the casting wall and the bearing; this is what I found......

First, the forward most point of the bearing...
As supplied middle front.jpg
Then either side....
As supplied left side.jpg
As supplied Right side.jpg
As you can see, he side measurements differ from the central measurement and go either side of the central measurement.

If I now remove the three bolts at the back holding the bearing in position and let it pivot about the front middle screw, I can set the side distances to be the same as that of the front middle distance namely 7.5mm.

The following pictures then show the three hole positions in relation to the bearing holes...
After alignment 1.jpg
After alignment 2.jpg
After alignment 3.jpg
I was just wondering if anybody else has had this issue and what you did to fix it?

Many thanks in advance

Mark Russell
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 245 times

Re: Turret Bearing alignment

Post by Mark Russell »

Hi Richard yes I had the same issue and had to elongate quite substantially the holes to get everything sitting centrally.
Good luck
Kind regards,
Mark

John Clarke
Been liked: 1622 times

Post by John Clarke »

Gordon Bennet Richard! :cry: :cry: :cry:

Did you use the supplied penny washers Mark. :idea: :arrow: Though I didn't see any on the parts list :lol:
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Richard Goodwin
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 270 times

Post by Richard Goodwin »

Thanks for the comments chaps.

The bearing location was reset centrally which for me, was 7.15 mm from the inner edge of the casting and held in that position by clamps prior to re-drilling the fixing holes in the turret tray.
repositioned.jpg
Note, if drilling through the bearing holes, be careful since the bearing is aluminium and the turret tray is steel!
Penny washers were used underneath to cover and gaps and spread the load whereby the turret was installed and its position checked visually.
finished.jpg
All good now and at least I should be able to put the wade rail on whereas I couldn't before!

Just looking at that turret is reminding me that the stillbrew element is fast approaching :roll:

Roll on the fitting of the drive train! Everything's crossed in regard to that :wink:

Onwards and upwards! :twisted: