FAMO radio setup

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Wael Hazin
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 19 times

FAMO radio setup

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hello members,

I am in the process of setting up my Futaba 18sz radio and have few questions. I started by setting it to single stick drive and have the tracks moving per my intended setup. That is when I turn left; the left track rolls back and the the right track rolls forward just like a tank. And a right turn does the opposite. The first question I have is this correct for a half track vehicle? Looking at videos of the FAMO I did not get the impression that is the correct setup. Shouldn’t I have it setup where one side slows down when turning until I have “full turn” input where one side stops rotating?

The 2nd issue I have is the steering actuator is moving very slowly. There isn’t anything binding and I have the vehicle lifted. Also, although it seems to be centered, the wheels are about 20 to 30 degrees turned. I have to use 100% of my sub trim to get it straight.

As always, any help is greatly appreciated

Regards,
Wael

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: FAMO radio setup

Post by Adrian Harris »

I've only driven the Armortek demonstrator FAMO but what you describe with the tracks is exactly how it behaves.

You have to think differently to driving a tank, and drive with the throttle stick only for speed and steering all done with the front wheels. Once you get the hang of it, you can start to add a little bit of differential power to the tracks at full lock, but it's very easy to over do it and have the tracks fighting the overall motion.

The actuator is slow to respond, as would the steering on the real thing

I'm surprised it's so far out of true. Is there any adjustment in the installation position ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

Hi Adrian:

Thank you for your input. There really isn’t any adjustments to the actuator.

With regards to the setup, I have not found any posts on the forum regarding setting up a half track. Do you know of one? I hope someone at armortek will elaborate on this. I really don’t see the front wheels by themselves being able to turn the vehicle but I hope I’m wrong. I would really like to get some input on the amount of mixing between turning and track speed. Again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Regards,

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

Wael Hazin wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm
Hi Adrian:

Thank you for your input. There really isn’t any adjustments to the actuator.

With regards to the setup, I have not found any posts on the forum regarding setting up a half track. Do you know of one? I hope someone at armortek will elaborate on this. I really don’t see the front wheels by themselves being able to turn the vehicle but I hope I’m wrong. It just doesn’t seem to have enough power to turn the wheels once the vehicle is on its weight. I would really like to get some input on the amount of mixing between turning and track speed. Again, thank you for your help.

Regards,

Regards,

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 953 times
Been liked: 2022 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

It sounds like you are close to getting it set up. I haven’t set up the halftrack yet but I imagine if you turn down the travel or endpoints on the steering it will reduce the sensitivity of the tracks.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Only the Sd.Kfz 7 and the FAMO half tracks have dual motors, the Sd.Kfz 251 and the US Half track have a single motor driving a differential, so no steering input.

Apart from Elevon mixing, I've not played with the mixing capabilities of the Spektrum.

As a first thought, I would have the left hand stick side-to-side being the steering input to the wheels and the right hand stick being the input to the tracks, which is how I remember the demonstrator to be set up. Then, you can mix in some of the left hand stick to the two right hand stick channels to effect a little steering input at full lock.

I seem to recall Dennis Jones doing this and having to do something else so that it still works the right way round when going in reverse.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Tom Miller
Been liked: 315 times

Post by Tom Miller »

My FAMO has the same issues you are having. I had to max out the trim to get the wheels to be straight at the center position. As for right and left turning, you have it setup correctly. My FAMO does not like to turn. The tracks bind unless I make really wide turns. Seems like the slot in the tracks needs to be wider. I filed a little off both sides of the track slot and it now runs smoother. Taking a little off the track slots is a lot of work but I see no other way to remedy the binding problem.
Tom

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

Our factory model has been set up with front wheel steering on the left stick and tracks on the right stick.

We mix the tracks (as with the tanks), but do not mix with the front wheel steering - this is because we found that depending on the surface that is being driven on, the front wheels will either provide enough grip to steer on their own, or will have almost no effect on the direction of the model.
This behaviour is in fact very much like the real thing.

As an example, front wheel steering works well on tarmac - and you almost don't need to steer with the tracks. Whereas on gravel or wet grass, the front steering does almost nothing and you need to steer with the tracks.

Turning circle for the Famo was large.
Armortek

Wael Hazin

Post by Wael Hazin »

Thanks to everyone for there comments. Tom, I haven’t yet driven the FAMO yet but running the tracks while lifted I can see binding issues. Especially as I go faster.

Armortek, how much mixing should I have for turning the tracks ? Right now, I have it setup where even a small amount of turn on the Alaron will make the tracks go in opposite direction. I think this is too much for a half track. I’m thinking of having the speed vary with respect to the turn stick position. For example on the right stick:

Input-> Turn left 50% stick position Output-> left track 50% of the current speed and the right track at 100% of current speed.
—- Current speed meaning of the elevation input

Please let me know if you think this is good or any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
Wael

florian rudolf
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 632 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Armortek wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:04 pm
Our factory model has been set up with front wheel steering on the left stick and tracks on the right stick.

We mix the tracks (as with the tanks), but do not mix with the front wheel steering - this is because we found that depending on the surface that is being driven on, the front wheels will either provide enough grip to steer on their own, or will have almost no effect on the direction of the model.
This behaviour is in fact very much like the real thing.

As an example, front wheel steering works well on tarmac - and you almost don't need to steer with the tracks. Whereas on gravel or wet grass, the front steering does almost nothing and you need to steer with the tracks.

Turning circle for the Famo was large.
I did the same.
Its better to run. If you run on flat hard ground you steering with the wheels. In the mud you'll drive with both. The turning radius is realy good.