My Sherman - a 14 year project

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Re: My Sherman - a 14 year project

Post by Robert E Morey »

Thanks fellas for the great comments. Stephen thanks for the compliment - from the detail master himself!

I think printing has its place. As Vince said another tool in the artists tool box.

Just in case anyone was wondering - here's a funny example of how 3D printing or CNC are definitely NOT push a button and get a part out. This part below is part of the Sherman hitch. I thought I would CNC machine it instead of paying $20-30 USD for the part printed in metal. I've been using CNC for about 10 year and am reasonably skilled, I can usually get the part made that works. I tried two different strategy - one 3D machining, one 2D machining (flat surfaces, straight edges). Either strategy, this part required machining on both sides of the material. Nine failed parts later (and 3 days of programming, machining and head scratching) and I still can't get a good part. :evil: :evil: :evil: The top side is shifted in X from the bottom side by 0.5-1.0mm. :?: :?: Finally on fourth day I got good results with 3D machining, so I made 3 just in case Mr Murphy comes back to visit. I think I would have been better off time wise to have printed it!

The CAD model, seems easy enough to machine right?

The fails, Some 2D machined, 1 part 3D machined (lower right):

Finally a few good ones (3D machined):

Definitely not a plug and play process. Printing is the same way. Lots of fails to get that one good part. But when you do - its sweet! :roll:

Cheers,
Bob

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey »

Greetings Armortek community. Its that time of year to get sentimental. :roll: I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for sharing your excellent builds and to Armortek for giving us such cool things to work on year after year. This year has been a major downer in so many ways - but this forum has been a bright spot throughout the year, and many hours of enjoyment for me. Getting to know world wide friends - has helped us all endure the blight of 2020. Hopefully 2021 will be better for everyone.

Time for a brief update.

Sherm is sporting a trimmed up new bum:

New faux air cleaner canisters, soon to be installed:

New details added:

Last, some seasons greetings pictures from my team of elves. If I could only get them to work on the model....it would be done by now.

Checking out the sleek new rear end!

What could be better than a tank under the tree? Why, one, two or three in the garage....

Seasons greetings everyone. Keep building:

Till next time.....
Bob

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

You've got my elves Bob! Great work mate keep it coming 8)
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Season's greetings Bob

Vince

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

Season's greeting's to you Bob, you have definitely stayed the course, no need to rush a masterpiece, best regards simon manning.

Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 737 times

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Great looking Sherman Bob, always a pleasure to follow your builds
seasons greetings
Regards Jeff

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey »

Merry Christmas everyone. Hope all are warm, safe and Covid free - and enjoying some time with their favorite Armortek model. Perhaps the last update from me for 2020. Got a few more bits of the Sherman done. Thanks for looking!

Metal hitch mounts finally finished.

Shovel mounting point:

Fake engine door made + installed:

Detailing the air cleaner boxes. Lots of parts on these things!

Air cleaner boxes installed. I think they look a little too big (wide). May have to remake and downsize them a bit. :evil: Not looking forward to that project. :oops:

I got the metal printed bits right before Xmas to finish the tow hitch. The printed surface of the aluminum looks great - like a casting.

Hitch installed:

That's all for now! Take care everyone.
Bob

David Brady
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by David Brady »

Lovely model Bob I've been interested in your build for many years
now and incorporated many of yours and Dale's modifications into my build - I sold this model to move to a Tiger - always regretted it!

The good news is I managed to buy back my original Sherman
20200819_160119_compress44.jpg

I would be interested in some of your parts! PM if available

Cheers

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey »

Hi David,
That's great to get your Sherman back. I did the same for my later Tiger 1. I was able to buy it back from the guy I sold it too. Buyers remorse can be severe on some of these models - like loosing a pet. These older Sherman's are a bit rare in the Armortek fold.
I miss Dale - his Sherm and Tiger builds were a model for new ideas and details. I think he's into 1:1 restorations.

I can PM you on parts....

Happy holidays,
Bob

David Brady

Post by David Brady »

That would be good Bob, I'm lucky enough to own Dale's King Tiger - this is my favourite tank in my collection
20201217_193402_compress44.jpg
Cheers

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

That's a great looking Sherman, and the conversion to M4 is coming along nicely.

The parts you are adding are really improving the overall appearance 8) 8)

Regarding the air filters, I've looked through my pictures and don't have one of the back end of a Sherman like that. There was an M32 nearby with them, and I took a lot of photos of it, but I was mainly interested in the bogies at the time so didn't take much else. I was expecting it to be there for a while but it was taken away to be restored, and then the whole museum moved, so I missed the opportunity.

It will be a real shame if they are overscale, as there's obviously a lot of work gone in to making them :cry:

A green Sherman with silver tracks always make me think of the Airfix 1/72 kit. Not sure why your tyres are grey though David?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

David Brady

Post by David Brady »

Hi,

Looks like dust - will clean them off maybe add some back to black
20201012_190556_compress70.jpg
It was dust
It was dust
Cheers
Last edited by David Brady on Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robert E Morey

Post by Robert E Morey »

Adrian,
It looks the original Armortek Sherman demo model in some ways doesn't it? Us "old" Armortek vets will remember the brochure, and pix.

I think the white is oxidation. Mine has it too, it hasn't been run in while <aka years>. The tires aren't cracked or anything - I'm hoping it will just wear off once I drive it again (soon). Just in case I scooped up some spare tires when they came up for sale.

Those air cleaners were indeed a pain to make. 20 parts in each one. I'm going print a replacement design - which has much fewer parts. Time to fire up the Elegoo again. I hate to scrap em. :cry:

David - I had forgotten the KT Dale built. That is a masterpiece - as were all his builds. You're lucky to get that one.

Best regards,
Bob

Frank Breitenbach
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 689 times

Post by Frank Breitenbach »

Hello Robert
Really nice details! Your model will be an excellent tank, when it is ready.
All the best
Frank

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Post by simon_manning »

Excellent work Bob, once those Air cleaner's are painted and some weathering applied they will disappear in size and blend in, too good to remove, as a non Sherman owner i would not have noticed, regards simon. P.S Dave, That Kingtiger still look's "Real" The paintwork was just right.