New photo? Just popped up on Fallingbostel Military Museum FB page
AF62C10E-65E9-43A4-AEDE-0248DAA0288A.jpeg
AF62C10E-65E9-43A4-AEDE-0248DAA0288A.jpeg (70.98 KiB) Viewed 3954 times

mark lawson
Has liked: 2446 times
Been liked: 435 times

Re: Jagdtigers being loaded at F’ing B

Post by mark lawson »

These are both Porsche Jagdtiger, both fitted with transport tracks of note, it was only the Porsche Jagdtiger that had zimmerit, I have never seen a picture of a Henschel Jagdtiger with zimmerit. These Jagdtiger are being sent to Schwere Panzerjager Abteilung 653
Werkstatt - 5, 1/6 Panzer parts. werkstatt.five@gmail.com
RAG Militärmodellbau
IG Militärmodellbau

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Thanks for the pic Stephen. It was taken in late October 1944 at Döllersheim and shows JT hull # 305009 and 305010. Only 11 JT with Porsche suspension were built, including one command vehicle. All, but the prototype had Zimmerit.
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Peter Quambusch

The reason for the Henschel JTs having no Zimmerit is very simple: Zimmerit was discontinued from Sptember ´44 onwards. Up untill September they had produces 11 Porsche and 1 Henschel JT, including one prototype each (305001 Porsche and 305002 Henschel). 305003 through 305012 were all Porsche. The Henschel variant production only started End of September (only 4 Units built). Thus max. these four units may have had Zim… Note also that from December ´44 on also the 8,8 L 71 (the KT and Pak 43 guns) were used on some JTs for lack of 12,8 L 55 guns. (Just for those of you whou have an unused Pak 43 and want to mix modells).
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Peter Quambusch wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:29 am
Thanks for the pic Stephen. It was taken in late October 1944 at Döllersheim and shows JT hull # 305009 and 305010. Only 11 JT with Porsche suspension were built, including one command vehicle. All, but the prototype had Zimmerit.
Peter, this is interesting. I asked the original poster, who lives in Fallingbostel and runs the Military Museum there, and he is certain it's Fallingbostel. He commented that the buildings are still there. Another poster, who also served with my Regiment in Fally, also confirmed it's FB. I had a look on Google Earth and I also think it is Fallingbostel but I don't know whether the Jagdtiger was ever deployed to Fallingbostel. It would make sense if they were there for proving trials or workup training with the Panzerlehrschule. A mystery to be solved perhaps?

Picture 1.jpg

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

And this is, I believe, the loading ramp for Doellersheim training area. No buildings to be seen. On that evidence, it seems pretty conclusive.

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 13.56.37.jpg

Peter Quambusch

Hi Stephen, Thanks again for the pics and the info!! Döllersheim is what my JT book says, but judging from the pics, you are probably right!