New motion pack motor behaviour

All topics related to Armortek's Motion Option Pack
Oli Dainton
Been liked: 18 times

New motion pack motor behaviour

Post by Oli Dainton »

Appreciate is holiday season so perhaps no one looking here but I am frustrated that my opportunity to make progress over the next week is currently stalled.

I have the new motion module for my PZ III.

I have connected the bare minimum to bench test, just the power, batteries receiver and motors.

When I power on, transmitter first, then module, the second motor is always running.
The channel that controls this motor is behaving as though on a scale from 0-1, rather than the expected -1 -+1.
So in the default centre position the motor is running at half power. I can only increase speed to full or reduce to zero by moving stick fully one way or another, no reverse possible.

The other motor is behaving as expected.

All trims zeroed, tried with three different transmitter/receiver combos.
I have tried putting motors on variety of channels and the same behaviour persists.

There is no mention in instructions of anything like this apart from trims, but this appears to be something different.
Does the motion module have some learning logic that may be confused? There do not appear to be any dip switches or reset options for the module itself.

Anyone able to advise please?
Thanks
Oli

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1174 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Re: New motion pack motor behaviour

Post by Adrian Harris »

Configuration of these new modules is done by a combination of dip switches and software, but that's all done at the Armortek factory and opening the module voids the warranty.

As you've eliminated the transmitter/receiver as a source of the problem, that only really leaves the module.

I doubt it is faulty, as it sounds as if the motor is still full control, so it sounds like some kind of problem with the configuration.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

John Clarke
Been liked: 1614 times

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Oli
Have a look though Mick Hilton's Grant Topic. you might find answers there. Not sure what R/C your on.

I'm expecting fun and games with my Fasst system next year. :D

John
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi Oli,

if there were tested 3 different transmitter / receiver combos with the same result, then I would seek the reason in the ESC module. Do you use a cross mixer option (one stick direction for driving both motors, another stick direction for steering) or do you use direct steering like driving a bulldozer (seperate stick for each motor)?
kind regards
Gerhard

Oli Dainton

Post by Oli Dainton »

Thanks for the replies, there is no mixing on, all three to/Rex combinations drive a servo correctly, yet when cable to motion control is swapped into the same channel as the servo was previously previously in, I get the same 0-1 behaviour where servo was -1 to 1 seconds before.
Thanks
Oli

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Oli, I have the new modules. The first part of the 'bench test' is easy to setup and should work out of the box. Check that your transmitter/receiver is configured correctly.
If you look at my M3 Grant build there is a post explaining how your Tx/Rx should be configured. On the Tx, I have my motors using two stick control left and right...up/down.
On the Rx I use channel 1 and 3, throttle and elevator with channel 5 (gear) for sounds.
Spektrum DX8 with an eight channel receiver...try the configuration in my M3 Grant build.....Mick

Oli Dainton

Post by Oli Dainton »

Thanks Mick I read through your thread with interest and saw you had similar issue with drive but I feel like my issue is even before any one or two stick setup...

OK, in a bid to isolate this issue from mixing, tx/rx etc I have made a video demonstrating.

I am just using the throttle channel and switching connection between drive one and drive two.
Same tx/rx, same channel (one with no mixing involved), different behaviour between two drives.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/65011eyu4ay3v ... p.MOV?dl=0

Hope this helps someone to diagnose issue for me, with as many variables removed as possible, I don’t understand this at all!
Last edited by Oli Dainton on Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thanks
Oli

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Oli, the first issue I notice is that the transmitter does not appear to be 'bound' to the receiver. My receiver light is solid, not flashing like yours.
Have you used the bind button..? ..Mick

Oli Dainton

Post by Oli Dainton »

Not sure tbh, I assumed it was working fine since is interacting with receiver and servos correctly. I may not even have bind plug anymore since is quite and old bit of kit.

Same issue is seen with two other setups, a T7C Futaba with FASST rx and a 2 ch car transmitter with associated receiver.
Thanks
Oli

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Oil, you need to 'bind' your Tx to the Rx. Mick

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 711 times
Been liked: 1694 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

I'm no expert but had a look at mine and the receiver light is not flashing. I then googled "spektrum receiver light flashing" or something like that it's telling me that there could be various reasons why this light flashes.

Vince

Oli Dainton

Post by Oli Dainton »

Fair point re binding, however I think that is a red herring.

New video here, different tx/rx but exactly the same issue.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvpmyht128r53 ... p.MOV?dl=0
Thanks
Oli

John Clarke
Been liked: 1614 times

Post by John Clarke »

Hi Oli
I was told that you have to be very meticulous with the R/C equipment connections, I haven't got the new systems yet, but Stuart Falkner told me that it is easy to reverse plugs by accident or miss alignment of the plugs that could miss fit the plug on the connection pins. Either of these faults could cause the effect your having.
Oh Man, I only ride em I don't know what makes them work,
Definatley an Anti-Social type

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1174 times
Been liked: 1357 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

If the plugs were misaligned or reversed, the motor channel wouldn't react to the transmitter at all, as the signals wouldn't be on the correct pins.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Oli Dainton

Post by Oli Dainton »

John Clarke wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:15 am
Hi Oli
I was told that you have to be very meticulous with the R/C equipment connections, I haven't got the new systems yet, but Stuart Falkner told me that it is easy to reverse plugs by accident or miss alignment of the plugs that could miss fit the plug on the connection pins. Either of these faults could cause the effect your having.
Hi John,

Since I have only got a single receiver plug in use here, and the transmitter is controlling the motor, it feels like this issue is the motion module taking the correct input from transmitter and modifying it before motor input..

Since the new modules are rare in the wild perhaps this issue just hasn’t been seen by anyone else yet, so I will email Armortek and see if they can advise.
Thanks
Oli