The Reality of Fighting (in an M3)

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

The Reality of Fighting (in an M3)

Post by Chris Hall »

Just seen this on Facebook. It can only be an M3 ..............

M3 experience.jpg
M3 experience.jpg (113.97 KiB) Viewed 4843 times

It also serves to demonstrate that those who fight in wars to defend us are a special breed !

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: The Reality of Fighting (in an M3)

Post by Stephen White »

Many a true word Chris. Lovely quotation, really captures the spirit of a good tank crew.

If you’ve a strong stomach, I’ve a story in the same spirit. We were in the middle of a battle run (ie live firing) when we hit a bump and I smacked my head on the sight. Out popped one of my contact lenses. That’s it I thought and carried on as best I could. At the end of the run, we cleared guns when my gunner told the driver not to move off. He then turned around in his seat and taking something from his mouth, he offered me my contact lenses stuck on the end of his finger. “You’ll be needing this for the next one boss”. I was dumbfounded. He said he’d caught sight of it hitting his hand and Instinctively popped it into the only safe place he could think of. Being Fourth Tanks, it was thereafter referred to the Chinese Eye Trick. You get to know your crew pretty well and have to get on with them in such an enclosed space.

If you want to get a flavor of the extreme discomfort of not being at one with your crew or troop, I’ve read no better than the late David Render’s extraordinarily frank autobiographical account of his introduction to his troop of Sherwood Rangers in Normandy after D-Day. He was fresh out of Sandhurst and was initially given the cold shoulder by his battle hardened desert warriors who didn’t think he would do anything other than get them killed. His account is moving and frank, as he recounts the extraordinary transformation as they came to accept that he was a very fine officer and one who would look after them but equally would not tolerate any slackness. I’m sure you’ve read it but for anyone who hasn’t, it’s one of the best accounts of tank warfare ive read.

David Render and Stuart Tootal: Tank Action, published by Weidenfeld and. Nicholson

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Stephen White wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 pm
Out popped one of my contact lenses.
Ahh, the perils of the modern battlefield ........... :lol:

And I heartily agree about the Render book - a good account of 'sharp end' tank warfare, and good general tips about Management.

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Peter Quambusch
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 814 times

Post by Peter Quambusch »

Here is a film with some footage of the M 3 …:
Lord, give me strength to change the things I am able to change.... and patience to endure the things I can not change :-) A bunch of Tiger and Panther variants, a few 88`s and smaler ones like Hetzer, Stug III, etc. and soon a Leo II