Limited Steering and noisy servo

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Holger Beck

Limited Steering and noisy servo

Post by Holger Beck »

Two problems I could do with some assistance with please.

I have a problems with the steering when turning right it is very limited but I do not have this problem when turning left. I have tried re setting the steering servo arm but all to no avail.

The other problem is a very noisy whine from the steering servo when the Quad is on the ground but when I lift the front up ie take the weight of the front wheels the noise stops.

I would be very grateful if you could help in sorting these two problems out.

Thank you

Christoffer Ahlfors
Has liked: 681 times
Been liked: 268 times

Re: Limited Steering and noisy servo

Post by Christoffer Ahlfors »

Since nobody more knowledgeable has chimed in, here is what I would do:
1 Disconnect the steering servo mechanically and see if the behavior persists. This should prove whether this is a mechanical or electrical issue.
2 If the behavior persists (electrical issue), try replacing the servo.

My 2 cents...

Good luck!
A little too much is about right...

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

The whining noise is probably because the servo is one of the newer "digital" ones, which whine like that when trying to get back to the correct position.

If you try and turn a front wheel when the Quad is off the ground, you'll probably hear the whine start as the servo pushes back against you.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Holger Beck

Post by Holger Beck »

Thank you Christopher and Adrian I will try the advice you have both given this weekend and let you know if the problems have been solved.
Seeing as no other Quad owner has made any comment it would appear that this problem is just down to my model

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Do the wheels turn by equal amounts when the front is lifted off the ground ?

Can you lock the "servo saver" so that the springs are compressed fully, and see if it steers as expected like that ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Holger Beck

Post by Holger Beck »

Thank you all for the information especially the PM one which has proven most helpful so I can say that adjustment on the steering helper spring and trim adjuster on the transmitter so it is not loading on the servo appeared to have solved the problem of the whine. Then re setting all the steering linkage appears to solved my steering problem.
So once again thank you for all your inputs
Holger