New electronics in August

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

New electronics in August

Post by Armortek »

We are currently working on changing the electronics in the tanks with a plan to start shipping from August, but there is still some work to be done.
At this stage all we can provide are some high level details, more information will be available at launch.
  • Electronics will still run at 24V
  • Instead of the 2 box set up (motion module & audio module) we currently have, we will have more, but smaller electronics boxes to allow easier fitting across our models
  • Audio module will be louder
  • Drive profile of the tanks will be changed slightly to allow a shorter stopping distance
(Single stick vs, dual stick driving will still be selectable via your transmitter we will not enforce one or the other through the electronics)
  • Connectors will be simplified
  • and perhaps most importantly, the electronic boxes will not be silver or black :roll:
As a result of moving to the new electronics, we are putting a pause on option pack deliveries until August.
Armortek

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 953 times
Been liked: 2022 times

Re: New electronics in August

Post by Brian Ostlind »

This is exciting news for me!

Scott Boyd
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by Scott Boyd »

Getting more excited for my KT!

Phil Young
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Phil Young »

Audio module to be louder... YES!!! Thank you Kian, I promise not to moan anymore!! :D

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Here are some more keypoints we like to consider for our tanks (Armortek and others):

-- for outdoor activities 2 x 60 watts are a suggested minimum of power. A car hifi power amp (for subwoofers) with 250 watts is preferred, but most of them need only 12 volts and therefore a battery of its own or a voltage converter is necessary. A 24 V 250 W (or more) power amp would be a pretty good thing.

-- most sound modules have a 2-channel technology (for technical reasons). This needs also 2 loudspeakers to use the whole power. This is a little unhappy, because one big loudspeaker is much better in emitting deep frequencies than 2 smaller loudspeakers. Therefore I use one big loudspeaker with a double coil system which can fit 2 electrical channels in one chassis.

-- for realistic drive operation a tank model should run downhill not faster than uphill. Ok, this can also be achieved by drivers operation (reverse steering), but much easier to use is a built-in electronic brake system in the ESC; controllable by transmitter.

-- modern sound modules are much more powerful than simple SOUND producer; they control several functions like differentiated recoil (starting fast, slowing up at the end, reversing, moving back slowly), automatic track link squeaking depending on cornering, dedicated cold and warm start, random noises and many other features like radio messages and up to military songs for pauses in the fighting.........

-- all electronic components should be able to work with voltages up to 30 volts. Modern tank batteries (LiFePO4, LiYFePO4) will be charged up to this voltages, and when the user forgets to switch off the electronics when charging the battery they may be damaged.

Just my 2 cents........... :)
kind regards
Gerhard

Sam Hough
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by Sam Hough »

Gerhard,

Don't say 250w ;) After lots of dithering I settled on 1*60w mid/high and 2*60w for subwoofer... FWIW I'm going to try using stereo and pre-processing the sound sound files to implement the cross over.

Cheers

Sam

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi Sam,

one big trouble when using powerful amplifiers is the juddering and clattering of the whole hull, the other issue is the fact, that sound isn't emitted by the exhausts, but by the radiator fan openings.

The first trouble causes Olaf's built-in cam failing totally if the full power of his Panther is used :twisted: (1/4 scale, perhaps 1.600 watts), the other Issue causes a wrong spatial sound between front and rear of the tank.
kind regards
Gerhard

Gian Marco Menozzi
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 320 times

Post by Gian Marco Menozzi »

if I can afford it, provide a true shut-off system, not as it is now if you do not install one disconnect batteries and the tank remains stationary for a long time, the batteries are completely discharged, I have solved by putting one battery off before the ignition distribution module .
Marco

Gerhard Michel

Post by Gerhard Michel »

A really good advice! :)

I am using two-state relays which can cut off the main circuit without any power consumption when the switching operation ist done. So I can safely switch up to 100 amps by pressing 'doll's kitchen' pushbuttons and with zero power consumption when switched off.

kind regards
Gerhard

Gian Marco Menozzi
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 320 times

Post by Gian Marco Menozzi »

it would be enough to cut the track on the printed circuit which gives the power to the "pic" that manages the ignition and controls the voltage of the batteries, but in this way the warranty on the card is lost and it is not feasible for all persons without a knowledge of electronics, the "PIC" "turns on" a 40A relay, it would be enough to use a rocker switch instead of the button
Marco

Tim Carr
Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Tim Carr »

Should be interesting to hear about the new details. Are you going to be redoing everything or just the sound area?

Later Tim
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Oli Dainton
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Oli Dainton »

Is there a better idea of when these packs will be available? My build is on hold until then.

Thanks
Thanks
Oli

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

Tim Carr wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:35 am
Should be interesting to hear about the new details. Are you going to be redoing everything or just the sound area?

Later Tim
Hi Tim - we have a new power distribution module that incorporates a battery indicator, new motor controllers for both the main drive as well as for turret turn and gun elevation and improved (i.e louder) sound. Elevation will now also be a proportional channel instead of a switched channel, so you will be able to control the speed of elevation using a stick on the transmitter (like you can currently do with turret turn).
We also have new connectors that will simplify plugging all the parts and (hopefully) make the wiring up process easier.
Oli Dainton wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:51 pm
Is there a better idea of when these packs will be available? My build is on hold until then.

Thanks
Hi Oli - we need to have the enclosures for the electronics bent and powder coated and write up the instruction manuals. We are probably still looking at 2-3 weeks, but should still be in the month or August.

Kian
Armortek

Tim Carr
Has liked: 1434 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by Tim Carr »

Thank You for the update. Looking forward to the next set of details.

Later Tim
Tampa Bay, Fla area USA.

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

An important question please Armortek regarding the current motion control module.
Will the new audio module be compatible with the current motion control module, ie if you have the current motion module and now require an audio module will we need to upgrade to the new system?
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.