Spektrum Failsafe

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
Allan Shannon
Been liked: 10 times

Spektrum Failsafe

Post by Allan Shannon »

Colleagues

I have the spectrum DX6 with the AR6600T telemetry receiver. I have successfully set up the one stick configuration (which is in the knowledge base). I now need to input the pre-set failsafe. The problem is that the instructions to do this is based on using a bind plug, which the TX and RX do not have, they have a button. So does anyone know how to set up the failsafe with my TX and Receiver?

Many Thanks Allan.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Spektrum Failsafe

Post by Stephen White »

Allan, the bind plug and the button perform the same function, to switch the Rx into bind mode. So where you see "insert the bind plug", simply press the bind button. Once the Rx light indicates it's in bind mode, you can release it. You can also still use a bind plug on your Rx if you prefer.

Allan Shannon

Post by Allan Shannon »

Stephen

Thanks for the response. I have one more question and it relates to charging the batteries. I have 24v charger, do you charge the batteries when still connected to the motion module ( powered off of course) or do you have to disconnect them from the motion module?

Regards Allan

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White »

Allan, isolate the battery from the motion harness by disconnecting the 24V plug and connecting the charger to the battery lead. Some folk install a dedicated charging socket and a change-over switch to select power to the motion system or charging but it isn’t really necessary. It’s good practice to disconnect the battery anyway when you’re not running.

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Hi guys,

I don't like to disconnect batteries when not in use, because they are connected with screws. Therefore I installed charge sockets and a control board with LEDs to signal if batteries are connected with any load. With the charge sockets I can test battery voltage.

The blue main switch is also a fuse to prevent damages by electrical shorts. When the main switch is on then the red buttons switch the drive motors and the R/C on. The black button removes this connections; the LEDs show if connection is on. The little flip switch controls the sound. The 9 pole jack is the connection to the LiFe cells for balancing. The black fuse protects the R/C circuit

At the 9 pole jack I can check the single cell voltages with a special monitor:

kind regards
Gerhard

Allan Shannon

Post by Allan Shannon »

Stephen

I think I have set the failsafe, but when I switch the TX off it will only stop if the throttle stick is at the centre position if I switch off with the throttle stick slightly forward or backwards the motors still move. Am I doing something wrong or is the first example correct, where the motors will stop if stick centred?

Cheers Allan

Stephen White
Site Admin

Post by Stephen White »

Allan, just to check you've actually gone through the steps to set the failsafe? It's a separate procedure to binding. Were the sticks centred when you set the failsafe? When the Rx experiences a loss of signal, if the failsafe is set correctly, the tracks and turret should stop. Note it can take up to 10 secs for the Rx to register the loss of signal as the system is designed to maintain control with a temporary loss of signal.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Alan, I am the least suited person to give advise on this subject as this was my first experience with R/C and I feel that luck was on my side when I set it up. I had a look at my notes and this is the only thing I mentioned when setting up the failsafe on my Specktrum:
I setup also the pre-set failsafe but used the instructions in the receiver documentation to do it. It was a bit fiddly to set-up but managed to do it after the fourth try. Failsafe tested perfectly.
I don't have the Spektrum manual at hand but if I remember correctly there are two types of failsafe and as my notes say I used the pre-set failsafe.

Vince

Allan Shannon

Post by Allan Shannon »

Finally got it sorted! Since I am on a role I will be testing my sound module and have one question in the booklet it has two servo leads for the motors and one for the main motor control, what is the main motor control is it throttle?

Cheers Allan

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> it has two servo leads for the motors and one for the main motor control, what is the main motor control is it throttle

Does it say "main motor control" ?

There are two leads which monitor the speed of the motors, so that the engine sound follows the speed of the motors, and a third connection which tells the Audio Module which sounds to play, whether that's the engine sounds, gun sounds or voices.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Allan Shannon

Post by Allan Shannon »

Adrian

It says in the manual 'to receiver for main motor control'.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

You must have a slightly different manual version.

Without the sound module installed, the wiring would look like this:

Receiver (x) ==> (3) Motion Control Module
Receiver (y) ==> (4) Motion Control Module
Receiver (z) ==> Not Used

With the Audio Module installed, the wiring looks like this:

Receiver (x) ==> (1) Audio Module (3) ==> (3) Motion Control Module
Receiver (y) ==> (4) Audio Module (5) ==> (4) Motion Control Module
Receiver (z) ==> (6) Audio Module

So the control signal for the one motor goes into the Audio Module on pin 1 and out on pin 3, and for the other motor goes in on pin 4 and out on pin 5.
The last connection (6) is how you tell the Audio Module to play the various sounds, make the engine start up etc.

x y and z are the receiver channels, and will depend on which manufacturer you use and how you drive the tank (one stick/two stick and left or right handed). I think on mine, x is channel 1, y is channel 2 and z is channel 7.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module