I'm Adding Some New Sherman Pieces...

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Mike Conley
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 181 times

I'm Adding Some New Sherman Pieces...

Post by Mike Conley »

This morning I got my Sherman ready for a few little interesting things I've wanted to do. I have the parts ordered and I'll show ya what I'm doing in couple of weeks...

Mike in Kentucky
Attachments
MVC-010S.JPG
MVC-010S.JPG (38.97 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
MVC-009S.JPG
MVC-009S.JPG (38.88 KiB) Viewed 3969 times
Armorteks: King Tiger, Tiger 1, Panther G, Panzer IV, M4A3 Shermans x2, M3 Lee, Pershing, Sd Kfz 7, Pak 43.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 701 times

Re: I'm Adding Some New Sherman Pieces...

Post by Robert E Morey »

Nice Sherman and great collection of Armorteks! Looking forward to your addtion! I could guess - but that might ruin the fun? :shock:
Bob

Mike Conley
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 181 times

Re: I'm Adding Some New Sherman Pieces...

Post by Mike Conley »

Well, here's the 'Secret' upgrades I've done to my Sherman. All the parts finally came in so I've been 'wrenching' on it yesterday and today and it was a JOB but worth it!!!

I got tired of seeing the hollow backside of the roadwheels every time the tank raised up going over a rise so I ordered a set of detail hub inserts from East Coast Armory and used clear RTV to glue'em in. Now if anybody looks under they'll see 'hubs".

This Sherman originally did NOT come with the Slide Pads that hold the spring housing arms in line with the swingarms but the threaded holes were there so, now that Armortek has came out with the M3 and it has them, I ordered a complete set WITH the screws. To install the slide pads the wheels have to be ON the swingarms so it's easier to just remover the swingarms to get to the back side. And that is why I ordered the ECA inserts to do both at the same time. The pads/screws fit perfectly!! (Just had to clean the grime out of the holes...)

I also ordered a set (6) of the METAL return rollers (with BUSHINGS). The new SOLID STEEL rollers are HEAVY compared to the plastic ones and with the bushings I don't think they'll jam with dirt so easily! And I got tired of the track guides tapping across the original M3 bolt heads so I dished out the roller shafts so these shorter screws were recessed. When I received the M3 Lee I saw that THAT has already been done!

And when the M3 was introduced and I saw it's earlier style wheels I thought it sure would be interesting if some of this Sherman's roadwheels were of the earlier design. So I ordered four spoked wheels (and don't forget the tires AND bushings!) as 'replacements' due to battle damage. I just like something different to stand out and they do look pretty COOL!

I just got done and, after a beer or four, I lowered the lift and took it out for a 'Shakedown' cruise to make sure I didn't forget to install anything that was really important! (Found I need to readjust the track tension...)

And MANY THANKS to Kian & Monique for going out of their way to help me out by taking time from their busy manufacturing schedule to fill and ship my order! They are GREAT!!!

Mike
Attachments
MVC-001S.JPG
MVC-001S.JPG (38.1 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
MVC-002S.JPG
MVC-002S.JPG (39.17 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
MVC-003S.JPG
MVC-003S.JPG (39.24 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
MVC-004S.JPG
MVC-004S.JPG (38.71 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
MVC-005S.JPG
MVC-005S.JPG (39.88 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
MVC-006S.JPG
MVC-006S.JPG (39.85 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
Armorteks: King Tiger, Tiger 1, Panther G, Panzer IV, M4A3 Shermans x2, M3 Lee, Pershing, Sd Kfz 7, Pak 43.