M3 Walkaround

Forum for discussion relating to the M3 Lee nd Grant Medium Tank
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

M3 Walkaround

Post by Adrian Harris »

A nice walk around of an M3 by Timur Pakuro.

https://www.scalenews.de/m3-lee-walkaround-83/

Having studied the pictures, it looks like this was an M31 at some point.

I don't know if that means it had to have started as a Lee, and has therefore simply gained a Grant turret at some point.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Michael Cecil
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 109 times

Re: M3 Walkaround

Post by Michael Cecil »

Hi Adrian,

No, this hull was never an M31 ARV: this is (was) an M3A5 medium tank (Grant). T23846 was supplied to the Australian Army in 1942-43, and continued to serve post-war until its disposal from 3 Base Ordnance Depot's sub-depot at Puckapunyal, Victoria, in September 1955. At the time it was listed for disposal, the twin GMC 6-71 diesel engines were engine numbers 67118463 on the left, and 67118460 on the right.

Knowing the 'who, when and where' of how this hull came to be at the Littlefield collection in California, the turret was more than likely not the original for that tank, but sourced from elsewhere in Australia to make up a reasonably complete hull. Following the break-up of the Littlefield collection, I don't know where the Grant ended up. It is a nice starting point for a restoration, but finding all the parts required, especially all the small parts, would be challenging to say the least!

The most interesting aspect, at least as far as I'm concerned, is the rare addition of the three mounting studs on the nose/transmission casting for the cast applique armour.

Mike

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Many thanks for the information Michael :D :D

I've been through the Shadock file on surviving Lee/Grant tanks and those pads on the final drive appear to be something to do with the mudguards - possible from when the vehicle had full sand shields ?

M3-Grant-01.jpg
M3-Grant-01.jpg (106.09 KiB) Viewed 3820 times

Something to add for those making Western Desert models :wink:

In picture number 14, there appears to be the remains of another boss in the centre drive casing, so the applique armour must have been an interesting shape - curved around the front ?

Adrian
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Michael Cecil
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by Michael Cecil »

Yes, Adrian, it was. The mounting bosses I was referring to are the three marked in this image (hope they don't mind me borrowing it from their website), plus an image taken of the test fitting of the frontal armour in Australia. It was a casting shaped to fit over the frontal area. I don't have too many details, but assume it was cast from ABP3 (ie Australian Bullet Proof Mk.3) armour, the same as was used for casting the Australian Cruiser tank series.

Regards

Mike
walk-around-detailbilder-m3-lee-walkaround-83-bild-0013.jpg
M3A5 Front Armour.jpg
M3A5 Front Armour.jpg (101.44 KiB) Viewed 3782 times