Elefant Gun Controls

Covering Transmitters/ receivers, wiring schematics, requests for new options, etc
Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

Elefant Gun Controls

Post by Ray Brown »

G'day Guys,

I'm using a spektrum 11x transmitter with mode 2. The throttle & rudder stick are L/R, up and down repectively. My issue is the spring loaded rudder stick which causes the gun to return to centre when the rudder stick is released to centre. I want the gun to stay at the intended position reached when rudder stick released. Do I need to change Tx settings? Hope this makes sense.

Cheers
Ray

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Elefant Gun Controls

Post by Stephen White »

Ray, sounds like there is some basic setting up to do. The XG-11 transmitter is not familiar but the stuff below should be generic for most Spektrum transmitters.

Firstly, you might check your basic radio setup to assign channels to the four sticks (and set the fail-safe). The Knowledge Base guide is here:

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... 4330d04da9

You should end up with controlling your tracks (steering + fwd/reverse) on the right stick, with elevation and traverse on the left.

Mode 2 transmitters are set up with spring centering on both axes on the right stick and left/right on the left stick. The left stick up/down should have a ratcheted, non-centering stick. If you assign elevation to the left stick, you should be set. If the rachet is on the right stick (ie Mode 1), you'll need to get into the back of the transmitter and make some physical changes to change to Mode 2 ie to swop the rachet from right to left.

It's quite simple to do but rather than go through it here, I'd suggest you look at one of the excellent YouTube videos available. There's one from down your way here:

Hope that helps.

Stephen

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

Stephen White wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 am
Mode 2 transmitters are set up with spring centering on both axes on the right stick and left/right on the left stick. The left stick up/down should have a ratcheted, non-centering stick. If you assign elevation to the left stick, you should be set. If the rachet is on the right stick (ie Mode 1), you'll need to get into the back of the transmitter and make some physical changes to change to Mode 2 ie to swop the rachet from right to left.

It's quite simple to do but rather than go through it here, I'd suggest you look at one of the excellent YouTube videos available. There's one from down your way here:

Ray, Stephen has nailed this on the head.
To get the servos to stay in the desired position you will need to change the mechanism in the transmitter.

Kian
Armortek

Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Ray Brown »

Stephen White wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:46 am
Ray, sounds like there is some basic setting up to do. The XG-11 transmitter is not familiar but the stuff below should be generic for most Spektrum transmitters.

Firstly, you might check your basic radio setup to assign channels to the four sticks (and set the fail-safe). The Knowledge Base guide is here:

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... 4330d04da9

You should end up with controlling your tracks (steering + fwd/reverse) on the right stick, with elevation and traverse on the left. CORRECT

Mode 2 transmitters are set up with spring centering on both axes on the right stick and left/right on the left stick. The left stick up/down should have a ratcheted, non-centering stick.CORRECT If you assign elevation to the left stick, you should be set. If the rachet is on the right stick (ie Mode 1) MINE IS MODE 2, you'll need to get into the back of the transmitter and make some physical changes to change to Mode 2 ie to swop the rachet from right to left.

Hope that helps.

Stephen
My issue is the traverse left and right using left stick which is spring centering causes the gun to self center upon release. So you can't traverse right and leave gun over machine gunners hatch for example.

Cheers
Ray

Gerhard Michel
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 559 times

Post by Gerhard Michel »

Thre is also another way using a servo to control elevation and yet getting a behaviour that is independent of the stick position.

Each servo consists of three main parts, the motor-gear unit, an ESC unit and a potentiometer (pot) giving the actual position of the servo arm to the ESC for correction. If you simply remove the pot mechanically, but let it be wired and take it to its middle position, then you get a drive unit for gun elevation, which works independent of the static stick position; only controlled by the time the stick is out of its middle position! E.g. if you put your stick forward or backwards, the gun is moving down or up (with variable speed depending on actual stick position). If the stick is centered again then the gun stops at the current position.

Please note: if the servo has a mechanical stop at each end of its way, this stop should be removed to avoid damages when running against these stops!

I use a transmitter with all sticks centered by springs (also driving control). So I have free choice to use my sticks for the various controls. Influenced by my airplanes I use the left stick for driving and moving the turret and the right stick for gun elevation and steering the tank (mode 4).
kind regards
Gerhard

Shaun Hunt
Been liked: 6 times

Post by Shaun Hunt »

Hi Ray,

I'm not familiar with your radio I use Futaba myself, my explanation below can be set up on my Futaba transmitter.

Thinking outside the box, you may be able to set the trim for your gun traverse channel to 100% rate giving you 100% servo travel using the trim control.

I would also set the travel limit for the gun traverse channel to 100% as well to prevent over driving the servo.

This would give you fine positional control of the gun traverse with the trim control, also proportional control with the traverse stick which would return to the trim setting when centred . Gun traverse with the trim control would be slow but realistic.

Hope you can understand what I'm trying to say

Regards Shaun