RCSparks Elefant Tank Build - This should be an awesome experience!

Forum for discussion relating to the Elefant
RCSparks
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 59 times

Re: RCSparks Elefant Tank Build - This should be an awesome experience!

Post by RCSparks »

Please guys, keep the questions to a minimum - Im having a hard time keeping up with the answers. Just kidding - where is everyone?
RC in the Mornin', RC in the Evenin'!

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

What an awesome experience it is to build a tank with a group of good friends. A chance to remember old times, and to make some new ones at the same time! Today we tackle the upper part of the hull, and get a lot of people involved. Hah, I like how my friends and I always turn everything into a competition.. it makes for some great film! I hope you are enjoying the series. I know its very different style from what you might be used to.. but its truly just a great time for us to get together and have some fun. :) VIDEO 6, is now posted in the original posting. I think my 5 year old Son loved the opportunity to sit inside the tank!

martin pitcairn
Has liked: 763 times
Been liked: 8 times

Post by martin pitcairn »

Hi,
we are a shy bunch, really only a few people post on the forum, however hundreds and hundreds look at all the posts. If we do not post do not take it that we disprove or that we are not interested. Your Videos and posts are great and I love the enthusiasm from the team.

Keep it up
Martin

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

The Elephant has been an oddly quiet section of the forum, at least until you guys arrived :lol: :lol:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Ray Brown »

hi rcsparks. i do believe that in your latest build your engine deck grills are upside down. hope this helps. also before securing the top of the fighting compartment to the hull you will need to leave the mounting brackets loose. hope that makes sense.

cheers
ray
20181128_135538.jpg

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

WOW! What an amazing response to wake up to!! Thank you so much, to all of you for chiming in!!

This project has been an absolute mind-bender. I am used to building amazing RC's.. but this is some "next Level" type of modelling. I am in love. Haah!

Yes, I certainly did install the plate upside down. The instruction book was a challenge to interpret, and in the end, i could see that the entire plate was upside down. BUT.. we had tried to fit it several ways, prior to choosing that side. Alas, no matter how we turned those Exhaust vent frames on the outside of the plate - top or bottom - the holes did not line up. we took some pictures of it and were going to post them here, but we managed to fit it .. and get everything squared up. All I did was drill another hole on the other side for the proper accessory. Ill poly the other hole, and no one will be the wiser.. hah! Oddly, check out my counter-sunk holes in the center of the plate. It's like they were created on the wrong side. No matter.. all was resolved!

Lot's to go on this big beautiful beast! I feel as though we have not even scratched the surface.. as the "fit and finish" will take some great detailing efforts on my part.. and a lot of time/ attention.

I am very thankful for this forum. There are many builds here that are jaw-dropping, and inspiring. This community has already been an amazing resource for me, as a builder - so thank you ALL for participating so far!

Now.. I know Im not the sharpest tool in the shed.. so it is only goes to show that ANYONE can enjoy an Armortek kit, and muddle through it with their buddies.. haha :)

Thanks for commenting!

Ray Brown
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by Ray Brown »

the trick to the engine grill vents fitting is/was lots of filing. lots & lots of filing and then with a rubber mallet some persuading taps. the book can be a little confusing at times and you will find that some items are easier to connect 4 pages prior. leave the engine deck off the tank to one side until the end of the build for ease of installing batteries, speakers and other pieces. also i suggest not securing the fighting compartment to the hull until you have all the motion pack, motors etc installed. it's easier to work with a large opening than a reduced stress causing restrictive area. imagine trying to install the motor and electronics through this.

20181127_153541.jpg

or this

hope this makes it easier for the rest of your build.

cheers
ray

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

Thank you so much for all the detail. I have since removed the top Casemate and Front Plate.. I can see how that would be cumbersome.

I must ask.. has anyone setup a Paint Ball setup for these tanks? Sounds really fun!? I would love to do some targets with the destroyer upon completion.. but nothing with gun power..

Any leads would be helpful for this series.. Thanks!

florian rudolf
Has liked: 278 times
Been liked: 632 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi,
for shooting simulation look at the video below.

Its my SdkFz 251/9 from Armortek. you can finde the building report here:
http://www.rag-mm.de/Forum/thread.php?t ... 2ce9bf361c
If you're interested, please PM.

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

Hello to all my fellow builders!

I have updated the original post with EPISODE 7, where we start in on the electronics. I will list the video here for your ease of seeing it!
[youtube][/youtube]

Thank you Ray for the advice about starting on the electronics.. we did that today, as well as had a team working on the top hatch.

This project is coming together.. but there is still SO MUCH to do!! I hope you all are enjoying the show.. I know we are all a bunch of goof-ball Canadians, but hey.. nothing better than hanging out with the bro's, and enjoying some laughs while building a MONSTER TANK DESTROYER.. Hah!

I'm learning so much!

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 953 times
Been liked: 2022 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

You guys are doing great!

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

Well we are really getting it together now!! I have added the 8th video to our series.. and you can see what a MAMMOTH - nay, ELEFANT - this kit truly is!!

[youtube][/youtube]

Im thinking you are all very enterained by these crazy Canadians :)

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

When I begin a project.. I first put quite a bit of effort into learning about what I am going to do. For example, visit forums - look at a variety of pictures of anyone else's projects, and of course.. scour the internet for relevant videos. Also, I try to see some in person. I flew down to California USA, from Canada - to a show in 2016 called "RCX". During this show, they had a wonderful military display.

Here was the video I did of it: [youtube][/youtube]

It was this trip that inspired me to get involved in the 1:6 scale world. I was simply stunned at the large size of the RC's and also the dedication of the community to extreme detail. I was shocked and surprised at the figurines and action figures that were meticulously made, and crafted for the dioramas. I wanted to be involved... but wasn't at the right stage, by that time.

Fast forward a few years.. and here I am... almost at the end of an amazing build of my own, and a whole lot of amazing memories we got to share with the world in doing so. A part of my plan was to outfit this tank destroyer for many styles of videos.. not just limited to WW2 replica's. I knew that I would have to go "all in" if I was to do this project and seek some of the great artists who specialized in 1:6 scale figures, as well as sourcing and making some of my own. I was very fortunate to recently connect with an eBay seller in my area.. and he was willing to have me film his collection! Talk about serendipitous! He is an excellent artist, and 1:6 scale action figure expert in his area. He shares some history, and a table full of jaw dropping talent. Enjoy, my fellow Armortek builders! Here is the journey of how, and what my vision is for the tank destroyer crew(s).

[youtube][/youtube]

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

WOW!! Holy heck Brian, that is a HUGE Collection!! You must have a big thread here that shows your RC collection no?! If you do.. post the link below please!

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 953 times
Been liked: 2022 times

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Over time they really ad up!

I haven’t posted the other side of my collection at all. This is just a sneak peek.