RCSparks Elefant Tank Build - This should be an awesome experience!

Forum for discussion relating to the Elefant
RCSparks
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 59 times

RCSparks Elefant Tank Build - This should be an awesome experience!

Post by RCSparks »

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forums, but not new to the Armortek brand. I have drooled over these machines for a very long time, (like most folks!), and finally I have my hands on one.. what an amazing experience! Thanks to the forums here I can see so many different builds and read about the tips and tricks.
This forum seems to be a virtual arsenal of information :)

Some would consider my background in the Radio Control hobby extensive.. but truth be known, this is the largest build I have ever attempted. For this mammoth build, I have asked some of my friends to come together and give me a hand. I have a pretty strong RC community around me, and some very talented folks. I figure if we can brings some skills together - this build should be pretty epic. I create a video show on YouTube called "RC Adventures". Much like Armortek, we are celebrating our 10 year anniversary this year.. and collaborating with Armortek on a project was the coolest thing we could imagine doing!

This original post will be an area where I will continue to add each video in sequence as we complete this build over the upcoming months. I'm so glad this forum exists, there are so many jaw dropping builds here. I hope ours does this tank, and other builds - justice!

Build Video One: The "Tanks for 10 Years of RC ADVENTURES" Project (Unboxing)

[youtube][/youtube]

Build Video 2 - Preparing the Aluminum for Painting

[youtube][/youtube]

Build Video 3 - Tracks & Lower Hull

[youtube][/youtube]

Build Video 4 - Bogie and Suspension

[youtube][/youtube]

Build Video 5 - Suspension & Tracks Install

[youtube][/youtube]

Build Video 6 - Superstructure

[youtube][/youtube]

Build Video 7 - We Start on Electronics - Motion Kit, Smoke Kit & Sound

[youtube][/youtube]

Build Video 8 - Installing the Cannon & Recoil Mech

[youtube][/youtube]

Video 9 - Choosing my Tank Crew - An Explanation, and some amazing 1:6 scale Art

[youtube][/youtube]

Video 10 - the HOME STRETCH!

[youtube][/youtube]

LETS TANK iT OUTSIDE!!
[youtube][/youtube]

HILL CLIMB and BELOW ZERO

[youtube][/youtube]

FIRE and ICE

[youtube] [/youtube]
Last edited by RCSparks on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:13 am, edited 12 times in total.
RC in the Mornin', RC in the Evenin'!

Brian Ostlind
Has liked: 956 times
Been liked: 2034 times

Re: RCSparks Elefant Tank Build - This should be an awesome experience!

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Welcome! So great to have you on the forum. It’s the best. I watched the video and it was so funny when your friend was dry fitting the barrel and the other guy asked if he added the loctite. I think everyone does something very similar right out of the box. I got my Tiger I kit almost one year ago and I remember the experience. Your video does an excellent job of capturing the moment. Have fun building your Elephant. I am curious to see how it goes building with friends will be a totally awesome experience to share and the world will be watching. I am amazed.

P.S. Don’t miss out on getting a FAMO, I know you want it. Every military vehicle needs a “battle buddy” at least that’s what I tell my family. :D

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

Brian!! Too funny about the Barrel! Yes, I bet every one picks it up and assembles the "shooting part".. haha ;) Tank you so much.. this build is going to be truly amazing and fun to do. This was a really big deal to us here at the studio.. and want to do this project to the best of our abilities. Thanks for the comment.. and I hope you continue to be entertained, as we muddle our way through this great build!

simon_manning
Been liked: 1578 times

Post by simon_manning »

excellent exposure, this will help to introduce the kit's to a whole new world, ready to get the bug!, in a good way, regards simon manning.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Hi RC Sparks
Great to have you guys here! I enjoy your video's and passion for all things RC. There's a lot of good stuff on this forum and great community. Looking forward to seeing what you guys do with this build. I agree w Brian - a build with fellow friends would be great!
Bob

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2046 times

Post by Stephen White »

Great to have you on board. These models are very addictive.......

You should have no problems with the build but if you need any info on techniques or setup, do have a look at the Knowledge Base. The list of topics is here:

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewf ... 748dac7667

For a bit of Armortek action, see Phil Woollard's channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/magpiespyro

and my channel here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Ik1J ... -r83u-_JAg

Hope you enjoy.

Stephen

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

You know, this is why I love the hobby so much. There are so many like-minded individuals that are always willing to help out and to offer anything a complete stranger to the forum needs. Thank you for that. Yes, This place is a virtual treasure trove of information .. and one that I was exploring before my kit was in shipping. I hope this video series is both helpful to others, and entertaining. I am certainly no pro when it comes to building 1/6th scale all metal kits - but I love learning as I go. I am like anyone else.. I make silly mistakes, and heck - I record them. I have had a few face-palms in my life.. and I know Im in for a whole lot my before my time is up ..hah :)

Anyways, thank you all for the great welcome to the forum. My goal is to give Armortek some great exposure and really showcase their amazing workman ship. I have been following 1/6 scale war machines for many years and truly see how passionate people involved in this part of the hobby are. I hope that our efforts here turn out a result that is even HALF as good as some of the builds I have seen here, and in other communities.

Stay tuned, and please - By ALL MEANS! I am always open to advice, comments, questions - or a passing ideas. There is so much for me to learn, and I understand that "I dont know what I dont know"! I just posted my "Preparing the Aluminum" video above.. and I think Im on the right path for my primer and base coat.

nikolas george
Has liked: 41 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by nikolas george »

Mate I am so stoked about this. LOVED the first 2 in the series. TOP MARKS to RCSPARKS and ARMORTEK !!!!!!!
I have an Elefant kit as well. I was planning to make a Tiger 1 prototype out of it .. but may have to stick with the elefant now. :D
Got the hull and bogies assembeled before day job travelling took away my fun time :evil:
Have to get started again and keep up with your vids :D
Nik

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

A dual build! I like that :) Yes, its always good when someone is building along with you.. especially the same model. Its like someone keeping you company, and sharing in the arduous tasks. Glad to know you are enjoying the build so far - I can already tell this is going to be a massive project. Thankfully.. I have my team, who are chomping at the bit to get started. The thing I have to do first though is continue prepping the metal. I did do a test piece.. and I sure am glad I did that first. I did not use the right primer.. and it did not etch the aluminum. So I will be trying Rustoleum Self Etching primer next. I think that will be the right choice. I have also been scuffing up the aluminum with the wire brush... the wheels and all of the rocker arms, etc.. its so beautiful! We will do our best to ensure you are well entertained, and inspired

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

Hey Aaron, I did my parts with rustoeleum etch primer. The problem is it has a rough surface that needs sanding. This is pretty hard to do in the nooks and crannies like the wheels. I just got some Upol #8 that most of the guys use here. It’s smooth and doesn’t need sanding.

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

You know Brian, I have also picked up the Rustoleum self etching primer. And yes, I have also discovered it needs sanding. I have asked so many people about "Upol #8" where I live, and no one has a clue what it is. Hah! Me included! But, last evening I sprayed quite a few pieces with the primer.. and its curing now. Its been 13 hours..., Ill go check on it this afternoon. Sounds like Ill be buying some sandpaper!

I released a film yesterday about a black truck - and I showed that I primed a few test pieces with the rustoleum, which is a drab olive green color. WOW, I go t a lot of folks who ripped into me about "thats not the color of a german tank". I had to tell them its a model, and I can paint it pink if I want to. Im not trying to replicate anything.. Im here to have some fun, and build a great model in 2018! But, this shows me how serious some modellers take this side of the hobby! So many people assume what they want me to do, rather than enjoy what we offer.

Im glad there are folks out there so passionate about this hobby..! It's what makes it so wonderful and expansive!

Brian Ostlind

Post by Brian Ostlind »

That black truck was nice. Does it have a name!? I would call it black beauty hahaha!

Did people really attack you for the color of the primer not being right tank color!? Man that’s just just funny. I remember when I started priming. It’s pretty crazy paint make sure you wear a respirator. I never heard of upol either until I saw it here. I got ten cans on Amazon.com and got two day shipping. Rustoleum is great for the large flat pieces. Since I moved on from the chassis and I am doing the small detail pieces next and not to mention the dreaded Zimmerit there’s no way to sand them all so I am looking forward to the other primer.

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

What an awesome day of building! The boys came over and we cracked a few cold ones. First thing they wanted to do was to take those daunting bags of tracks and conquer them. While we did this, my buddy Rookie started on the lower hull. Prior to all of this happening, I spent the week preparing. First, I had to rough up all of the metal. It was so smooth and shiny.. I had nightmares of giant pieces of paint peeling of in the future. I dont have easy access to UPOL #8 in Canada, so I have had to order some in from over seas. The USA wont even ship it to Canada! "dangerous product" or something or other. Regardless, I have some on the way for the aluminum wheels, and much of the more difficult rounded stuff. Most of my hull has been Sanded first with 100 grit sand paper then primed with the Rustoleum Self Etching primer - color (coincidentally) drab green. This was sanded again, and then re-primed. Then, I let it cure for three days. This worked very well.. and now the tank (the major pieces) have been prepped.

I hope you all enjoyed video number 3.. this is where we really start to get our teeth into this project...

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

So, I am attacking this build in an "out of order" fashion - so that I can segment these videos in with special guests! I know this build video series is a little unusual.. but being a first time builder of an Armortek product.. I think its fun to see the true experience. Full of laughs and fun.. we tackle this build with vigor.. cracking jokes along the way. Enjoy Episode #4, updated in the first post.

RCSparks

Post by RCSparks »

The build continues as the 5 of us continue to explore this epic build! Armortek sure does have everything down to a science. I am SO IMPRESSED at how every piece is here (so far!), and how every single piece of hardware is bagged up! This makes for an easier job to identify and get these pieces together. I have updated the original post for anyone who would like to check out my video!

I love this tank destroyer.. but I have a question.

Is this model officially called the "Panzerjäger Tiger (P) Elefant Sd. Kfz. 184 Tank Destroyer"? Its such an awesome name.. but I dont want to mis-label this destroyer!