Phils Famo build

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 9 (FAMO)
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Re: Phils Famo build

Post by Phil Woollard »

The sprocket rubber bonded and perfectly in line with the track flat section. ( i think I have said the words "bonded" and "rubber" enough times now :lol: )
Attachments
The finished winch ready to be installed, You would be surprised how strong that flexible coupling is, it takes all your strength to push it together, it also acts as a motor/gearbox saver as it will slip if it's under enormous load, it could also be bonded to the shafts.
The finished winch ready to be installed, You would be surprised how strong that flexible coupling is, it takes all your strength to push it together, it also acts as a motor/gearbox saver as it will slip if it's under enormous load, it could also be bonded to the shafts.
The sprocket rubber bonded precisely in place just like the real thing. Note the segment lines dont really correspond with much at all except the rear of the spokes.
The sprocket rubber bonded precisely in place just like the real thing. Note the segment lines dont really correspond with much at all except the rear of the spokes.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Phil Dawe
Has liked: 740 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by Phil Dawe »

Phil,

which scissor lift do you use as a work bench? I have a FAMO and Tiger to build and need something sturdy!

florian rudolf
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 635 times

Post by florian rudolf »

Hi Phil,
I have a problem with the track chain direktion... look at my building report...
Maybe we make a smal discusion...
Attachments
20190123_091458.jpg

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Florian , how have you fitted the track direction, left and right side, the manual photos show which is the correct orientation.

Hi Phil, the lift is a Swedish make, Intra, the size is a 3 ft by 2ft, really it could do with being another 12" longer for the Famo but I cope. You will also need the small scissor jack to lift the tracks off the table . Don't be tempted to buy a cheap table , you have a considerable investment in your Armortek models and the lift table is the most important tool you will own.
Last edited by Phil Woollard on Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

Hello Phil,
both sides are the same, but I think the manual photo is wrong if I have a look at the original photo.
So both directions are possible. If you choose one, you never can change, because the fitted rubber.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

You are right Florian once bonded that is it! If you get really stuck (please excuse the pun) I may have a way of removing the bonded rubber without any damage.
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

Yes thats it. I didn't fix the rubber tight, so I can move it in the right position till now.
If I finish, the rubber will be fixed with the loctite fu.... strong rubber glue. I think no chance to remove without damage. :shock:

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

I've been driving the famo around the tarmac parking area this afternoon, not being familiar with Armortek half tracks it's a whole new experience for me. This is what I have found using the one stick set-up.

It's big so you need a lot of room to manoeuvre.
The steering ( on tarmac) requires 100 % from the front wheels with careful corresponding track steering input, it's tricky to begin with but gets easier.
The self centering steering actuator is a joy, giving very realistic movement of those huge front wheels and tyres.
There's tons of grip from those tracks.
Reversing is a doddle.
Hill climb no problem.
Do watch out for square section obstacles like wooden treads that can fit between the rubber track blocks, I'm just very careful I suppose.

Be interesting to take it off road when it stops raining, I'll shoot some video of that. :D
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

Good morning Phil,
during my visit at AT Kian told me about driving a Famo and I could see it. At dry flat bottom (for exampel a street), you only should steering with the front tires. In the field is stiring with track chain and front wheel the best. Thats wy I make my steering seperatly at the controler. Than you'll have a realistic driving.
A normal tank driving is easyer :)

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Exactly right Florian, my steering for the wheels is on one stick and the tracks are mixed forward and back and steering on the other stick ( as recommended by Kian).
I am loving this Famo. It's off to it's new home maybe end of next week so I need to get my arse in gear and video the Famo pulling my range target Tiger 1.
What we need to remember is ....IT'S NOT A TANK! :D :D
Mechanical engineer.

florian rudolf

Post by florian rudolf »

Thats right Phil,
did you start your new FAMO projekt? Looking forward to see a movie from your Famo.
Its realy a great monster but no tank. - So thats the special on this vehicle :D

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Just a quick look at the Famo and it's crate, booked in with the shippers and all ready to be sealed in it's very own sarcophagus. The crate would normally be totally sealed for commercial shipping ( as people fiddle and steal things) but it's not necessary with our chosen family shipping company, "a man with a van" .
Attachments
DSC_1995.JPG
DSC_1997.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Chang
Has liked: 14960 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by Chang »

Hi Phil,
You are really quick! Love to read your building report with many informative photos.
Just wondering: Are two batteries included in this sale? If yes, are they in the stock battery boxes, or re-located under the seat?

Regards,
Lerh Chang
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

All included and in the tool lockers, there's not enough room under the seats for the batteries Chang :D
I'm glad you like my build posts, it takes a lot of time to take photos, edit them, post and write something interesting! :shock:
Attachments
DSC_1917.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Florian, I don't really know what to say about the track fitting direction, they are handed for left and right side sprockets, just follow the manual I suppose :D :D
Attachments
famo chassis.png
famo chassis.png (162.62 KiB) Viewed 7616 times
Mechanical engineer.