I'm Replacing the Roadwheel Bushings with Needle Bearings

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 7 Half Track
Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Re: I'm Replacing the Roadwheel Bushings with Needle Bearings

Post by Robert E Morey »

Hi Mike
The "7" looks great. Don't be too hard on yourself - everyone makes mistakes! That is not such a catastrophic mistake as to ruin the wheel. Just put a longer bearing in the one that is deeper. I might do something to keep those wheels from spinning on the bearings though - that is not good. Perhaps fill with epoxy and bore out using your lathe, or make an alum shim ring and epoxy and bore that to fit.

All in all great job, Glad she runs better.
Bob

Mike Conley
Has liked: 224 times
Been liked: 181 times

Re: I'm Replacing the Roadwheel Bushings with Needle Bearings

Post by Mike Conley »

Hi Bob!

Aww, that slight mess up wasn't nothing! I was making fun of myself! I'm RETIRED so nothing much bothers me anymore (unless the garage BEEER fridge is starting to get empty!!)

And when I measured the remaining thickness (4.82mm left) at the back of the deeper drilled hub I realized I COULD have drilled'em ALL out for the 12mm long bearings and it wouldn't have hurt nothing.

And I've also been thinking about what you mentioned about, if the some hubs were REALLY scared BAD inside, I'd fill'em with my old 'friend' JB WELD!!! Then get a 14mm drill bit and redrill'em!! I'll see if any wheels REALLY hamper the drive.

I had a LOT of FUN doing this! And, as I said, if (WHEN) these needle bearings start clogging up or failing, I'll try some of that synthetic stuff you all have mentioned and make (or might even could buy'em off ebay by then!) new 12mm long bushings. Just the enjoyment of being a '1/6 Scale Armored Vehicle Mechanic'!!!!!!

Mike
Armorteks: King Tiger, Tiger 1, Panther G, Panzer IV, M4A3 Shermans x2, M3 Lee, Pershing, Sd Kfz 7, Pak 43.