Here we go!

Forum for discussion relating to the Elefant
Dave Jones
Been liked: 22 times

Here we go!

Post by Dave Jones »

So finally I’m starting the build on Elefant hull #26. Taking advantage of the current nice weather to get some etch primer on the sucker. But hells bells this is one BIG vehicle!

I’ll keep posting and requesting advice as the build progresses, this is new territory for me so any help and guidance will be much appreciated.
Attachments
5D800FA3-D69A-43E8-B9B6-962DB01BD0A8.jpeg

sean kerambrun
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re: Here we go!

Post by sean kerambrun »

Good luck with the build mate..

I am getting tempted to add a elefant to my collection

Cheers

Sean

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

Thanks Sean.

I now have the lower hull all assembled, fit of the components was spot on. Mind you it's worth mentioning for those planning an Elefant build, that there is a right and wrong orientation for the hull floor (doesn't say that in the instructions), guess which one I managed first.......... :roll: Anyway, just a bit of touching up on the etch primer and we're good to go.

I thought long and hard about going for the Elefant, this is after all my first Armortek tank build, but am really liking the sheer presence of the thing and not regretting buying it for one moment. I doubt there will ever be any more Elefant's so if you are interested and are prepared for the cost, I'd say do it, I can't think that you'll be disapointed.

Dave

sean kerambrun
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by sean kerambrun »

Hi Dave,

I do a lot of temp fitment then strip down and paint but that is just me. First tank can be the daunting but one step at a time an the forum is great for advice and don't be shy to ask.

enjoy the build

Cheers

Sean

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

Build progressing well. I have the lower hull components etch primed and fitted together nicely. I'm now etch priming the plates etc for the upper hull and again all looks good ahead of assembly. I do however have one question that I hope you folks out there can help me with. The steel sheets that form the main left and right fenders are very different in profile from each other, they both have the same bends in the same places but the angle of those bends is significantly different between the two. So my question is do I need to bend each fender to fit the profile of the lower hull side plates or will the process of fitting the fenders force them to the correct profile?

Appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.

Dave.

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

Elefant Hull 1.jpg
Elefant Hull 1.jpg (84.79 KiB) Viewed 7256 times
So this is where I'm at after many, many evenings, best part of three cans of etch primer and numerous cold beers.......................

It's my first Armortek tank build so my talent doesn't allow for a speedy construction process like some of you folks out there, but I'm really enjoying the build and am very happy with what I have achieved so far. Also, credit to Armortek that a novice 1/6 scale builder like me can assemble such a large hull with many interlocking parts with little in the way of problems or fettling. Bravo!

Time now to invert the beast and overspray the etch primer with the red oxide and a coat of dunkelgelb. If I don't do it now I doubt I'd have the strength to turn it over after more parts are added.

Just in case anyone wondered, yes it is currently sat in my lounge, I'm fast running of reasons to give to my wife as to why it is still there. Looks like I'm relocating to the man cave. Odd really, why would you not want a heavy tank destroyer in the lounge? Women. :roll:

I'll post updates as my build (slowly) progresses.

Dave.

Vince Cutajar
Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 1700 times

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Hi Dave

Did you solve that issue you had with the fender profile?

I was seriously considering acquiring the Elephant last year but the Tiger 1 came out and as that is my favourite I could not let the opportunity pass by.

Keep up the good work on the Elephant.

Vince

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

Hello Vince

The issue with the fenders resolved itself as I rather expected it would. I just had to have the confidence that once assembled everything would ‘true up’. It did as you can see.

Best wishes.

Dave

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

Vince

I've only just taken notice of your location, Malta. We are on a cruise in August and are actually making a one day stop in Valletta, Pat and I are really looking forward to seeing your lovely island if only for a brief period. It will be our first time, although my Grandfather spent several year's on Malta after the war and took great delight is regaling me with his stories and photographs of his time on the island.

Dave.

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Just one day! What can you do in one day? I suspect that cruise ship tourists usually are given a guided tour of the city (Valletta) which is a stone's throw away from the Grand Harbour (where the cruise ships moor).

For sure it will be hot so make sure you have a hat and sun block. Today temperature is 35 degrees with a UV index of 11.

Vince

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

Vince, you are basically correct, although we’re not taking the organised tours, we’re not sheep. (Baaa!). We plan to go into Valletta ourselves and do our own thing.

And yep, thanks for the warning on the heat, we’ve been in the Med in August several times and have all the protection needed to stop our soft Northern skins from turning bright red.

Dave

Vince Cutajar

Post by Vince Cutajar »

Just to whet your appetite:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions ... Malta.html

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/malta ... -valletta/

I am ashamed to say that I have never been to most of those places. :oops:

Vince

Chang
Has liked: 14897 times
Been liked: 370 times

Post by Chang »

Dave Jones wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:40 pm
The steel sheets that form the main left and right fenders are very different in profile from each other, .... the angle of those bends is significantly different between the two. ......?
Hi Dave,

My Elefant's right fender was in distorted angle bend than the perfect left one, both at front and rear areas.

The front area will be self-fixed, after the fender bracket locked into. (See the thin red rectangle area in your photo);
Elefant Hull 1.jpg
Elefant Hull 1.jpg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 7177 times
The rear area couldn't be self-fixed. So I drill two holes, and lock it onto the sloped rear hull plate (See two thin red arrows).
Elefant-79.JPG
Elefant-79.JPG (96.1 KiB) Viewed 7177 times
Your area may be different. But the idea to fix them is what I mean.

Cheers,
Lerh Chang :D
------------------------------------------------------------------
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturmwind dahin.....

Dave Jones

Post by Dave Jones »

Thanks to Vince and Chang for the information both recreational and technical.

Dave