Sponson observation.

Forum for discussion relating to the British MK IV Tank
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1182 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Sponson observation.

Post by Adrian Harris »

After I'd finished the cab side and the painting for today, I thought I'd make a start on the sponsons. I've already made quite a few changes, and found I need to have the female armour parts recut as they are slightly undersize :roll:

However, I've also noticed that there is a significant difference in the way the Male and Female sponsons are mounted:

IMG_3660a.jpg
IMG_3660a.jpg (83.74 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
PC071470a.jpg
PC071470a.jpg (66.61 KiB) Viewed 4422 times

Changing the Female sponsons such that I could also mount the Male one at a later date is going to take some head scratching...

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Re: Sponson observation.

Post by Chris Hall »

Adrian -

You'll find that both types of sponson are mounted to a similar-sized plate which, for the Female, also includes the lower escape doors. So it shouldn't be as difficult as you imagine !

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Aha, you have fallen into my cunning trap :lol: :lol:

On the Armortek kit, the sponson mounting plates are the same size and are interchangeable.

On the real thing, the Male sponson fits in a similar way and has a visible line of alternate rivets and bolts running down from top to bottom.

However, the armour plate with the hatches on the Female sponson overlaps the bottom half of those rivets / bolts.

IMG_3660b.jpg
IMG_3660b.jpg (87.91 KiB) Viewed 4359 times

There is a video of the Australians removing the sponsons from their tank and it's bolted all the way down this plate, meaning the sponson is fully removable, but on other females, such as "Blarney Castle" and "Deborah", this line is fully riveted, which seems to imply the gender was fixed at the factory.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Ahh, of course - I merely (belatedly) spot these things, whereas you actually do something about them ..... :wink:

The gender was certainly 'fixed' at the factory - indeed, it was established by Contract. Coventry Ordnance, for instance, was contracted to build 100 Females, numbered 4551 to 4650, and that was their only order. Likewise, Armstrong Whitworth was only contracted to build 100 Males, numbered 4001 to 4100. A number of the original Contracts still exist at the National Archives in Kew (as an ex-Accountant I find them particularly interesting, but that's just me :)). I've got a complete table of Mark IV builds if anyone wants to know who built a particular tank (although I can't publish it for copyright reasons :oops:).

I've always suspected, but not yet proven, that the male / female sponsons were easily interchangeable, as that's where the hermaphrodites / composites came from. I'm not aware of any contracts to actually build them, and the available pictures (especially L Battalion in Cologne in 1919) show pretty well an even number of tanks (Mark V's) with male sponsons on the right against those with male sponsons on the left. That suggests a workshop change, although I've still got no idea why they actually did it !

I'll leave you to it, then ..... :lol:
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Thanks Chris.

So the odd thing is that "Grit" has bolts holding the lower portion of the female sponsons in place whereas every other picture I've found seems to show that part riveted in place. I guess at some point they must have drilled out the rivets and replaced them with bolts.

They actually say in the video that it is the first time since 1918 that the sponsons have been removed. One wonders ...

Adrian.