braking system

Forum for discussion relating to the 88mm Flak36
Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 737 times

braking system

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi, I thought I would have a go at the braking system, with working levers and brake cables, so far I have re-shaped the hook block, and re-made the metal covers over the cylinders, and riveted metal brackets to the back of them; the first picture is of the new lift block handle bracket, the others show the progression of the alterations so far.
regards
Jeff

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Jeff

Remarkable, as usual. Just amazing work.

Cheers

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Colin Richards
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Colin Richards »

Hi Jeff

excell;ent work as usual. When will we be given the chance to see the 88 in real life?

Colin

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Colin, you would be welcome to come and see it, you are not that far away
regards
Jeff

Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

Jeff,

Great work as usual. I am now revisiting some areas of the mantlet on the Sherman, which seems to be taking for ever to get right. I initially thought that the mods behind the mantlet wouldn't be noticed but they are fairly obvious so the lesson is to do everything in one go now.
Allan Richards

Colin Richards

Post by Colin Richards »

Hi Jeff

thank you for the offer. I should have a weekend free in about three weeks so will be in touch.

Colin

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

I made the central sections today, most of the time spent was working out from pictures, how it worked, I am quite pleased with the result, I just need to change the angle on the central lever, then I will start on the handbrake and linkage
regards
Jeff

Colin Richards

Post by Colin Richards »

Hi Jeff
excellent work once again. Where did you get the springs from they look spot on for size?

Colin

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Colin, I had a couple in the scrap box, but stretched them to size.
I was not happy with the brake levers, and cables, so I have altered them, will post some pictures tomorrow, if I get them finished
regards
Jeff

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

I re-made the central sections, these work much smoother, now I can make the linkage back to the hand brake; I turned down the side tanks, so I can add the hoop brackets, I also filled the screw holes, added the pipe work and auxiliary towing socket to the back, its slow going, trying to keep both the bogies at the same rate of build
regards
Jeff

Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

You are really pushing the detail with these braking systems. There is a lot of detail in those linkages, but as you hint building two of everything is an additional challenge.
Allan Richards

Tim Bowman
Been liked: 177 times

Post by Tim Bowman »

Jeff

How cool is that?! VERY!

Not to take away from your 88 but, I can not wait to see what you do with your Panzer III.

I totally agree with Allan. You are pushing details to new levels.

regards

Tim
"So long as one isn't carrying one's head under one's arm, things aren't too bad." – Erwin Rommel

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Allan & Tim, thanks for the comments, I am also looking forward to the PZ3, it has many variants, so it should be easy to detail, the 88 on the other hand, has all its details on show, and there are so many brackets and fittings, that I still do not know what some of them are for, but that's the fun, finding out.
regards
Jeff

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1209 times
Been liked: 1383 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Jeff.

I was lucky enough to be able to visit the Muckleburgh Collection on Wednesday morning, and it was amazing to see their 88mm up close and recognise the various parts from the postings you've been making here.

Adrian.

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Adrian, I should go and see for myself, but most of the 88s in collections that I have seen from pictures, have all the tools and accessories removed, how much is left on the one you saw at Muckleburgh.
Regards
Jeff