Mick's Roller

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 814 times

Re: Mick's Roller

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning, while waiting for the Rolls Royce armored car 'solid wheels', I am attending to one or two smaller issues, for example with my Spektrum DX8, I have the turret rotation set on my right hand stick.... left/right, aileron. However, on moving the right hand stick, left/right I find that the turret does not move proportionally. At about one third movement of the right hand stick ( aileron ) either way, the turret rotates suddenly, not proportionally as expected. I have calibrated the sticks and checked that the aileron moves correctly on the DX8 monitor....mmmm, any thoughts on this issue, me hearties :roll: ….otherwise all is well...Mick

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

Sounds like the turret may nor be rotating freely and is catching on something.
Kian
Armortek

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Kian, best wishes for the new year. I was thinking the 'proportional' channel was acting more like a 'switched', on/off channel... I will pursue this matter with due diligence.... :) Mick
Attachments
Wheels wheels, my kingdom for a set of wheels...
Wheels wheels, my kingdom for a set of wheels...

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

She still looks great even with no wheels Mick, you could say that it's been parked up and they have been stolen! Regards Phil. 8)
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

> the 'proportional' channel was acting more like a 'switched', on/off channel

Which output from the Motion Control Module are you using for the turret ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Phil, once upon a time, I lived in such an area, wheels, windscreens, you name it... :(

Adrian, on the motion control I have turret turn on output RC1. I understood that this can be a switched or proportional channel .....I recorded the following note, as my memory recall is not what it used to be. :roll:
Motion Control RC1 lead to Aileron.
Motion Control RC2 lead to Aux 2.
Motion Control RC3 lead to RC3 Audio Module.
Motion Control RC4 lead to Rudder.
Switches are H lights, on/off, G sounds, toggle switch, F, front radiator door, open/closed.

Regards, Mick.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Hi Mick.

Output 1 is switched, so will give you the results you are seeing.

You would need to use the "Speed Control 4" output for the turret if you want proportional control, assuming "Speed Control 3" is being used for the main drive motor.

Does it say in the RR Motion Pack manual which outputs are recommended for which functions ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good evening Adrian, thank you for your reply. The wiring instructions are excellent, I thought I had it all worked out. I finished the turret install and tried the rotation, then realised the movement was switched not proportional.
I guess, I had assumed that all four sticks on the Tx were by default....proportional.
The book says...Motion Control, RC1 input for turret turn, I have the Motion Control, RC 1 lead going to the aileron in the receiver.
I will sleep on it and see what tomorrow brings....thank again....Mick.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

> I guess, I had assumed that all four sticks on the Tx were by default....proportional.

The sticks on the transmitter are proportional, it's the Motion Control Module which is not, apart from Speed Controls 3 and 4.

Adrian.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Adrian, got it, at last. I am happy with the general setup, so I will leave well alone, thanks again....
Couple of minor tweaks, not seen on the Rolls however, I like these items in the kit....just had to find a way to display them....Mick :)
Attachments
IMG_1367.JPG
IMG_1368.JPG

Ken Brearley
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Ken Brearley »

Now that is a nice touch 😀, your Rolls is a work of art.
Ken

Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Post by Armortek »

michael hilton wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:41 pm
The book says...Motion Control, RC1 input for turret turn, I have the Motion Control, RC 1 lead going to the aileron in the receiver.
As Adrian points out, the Motion Control Board has 2 proportional channels - 3 and 4. On the RR these are used for Main Drive and Steering. Turret Turn on the RR is controlled though RC1 which is switched.
Kian
Armortek

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Kian, thank you for the reply, I have got the idea now....any news on the 'solid wheels'. I can't wait to get her on the road. I like the 'solids' they seem to look the part against the armor plate of the body...wire wheels....mmmmm, I had planned to infill the outer wheel rim and hub with ' plastic padding ' creating a solid wheel, until the offer of a solid type...by Armortek...Mick

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Robert Reid »

Stunning job, Mick!!!!

I hope that my armored car measures up when I start it... which is probably coming pretty soon! Though I have two Civil War cannons I have to finish before I start the RNAS.

Cheers,

RPR

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Ken and Robert, I have made a start building the wire wheels, with some trepidation I may add.....no problems however, get the first few wires in place and the rest will follow...as an insomniac, it whiles away the hours....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1370.JPG