Mick's Roller

Forum for discussion relating to the Rolls-Royce Armoured Car, Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost and the 40/50hp Engine.
michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 819 times

Re: Mick's Roller

Post by michael hilton »

Morning chaps, some rearrangement of the enormous workshop ready for a repaint while awaiting the 'solid wheels'. Musing over the M3 Grant, nice.
However, will the bank balance withstand a further raid...….Mick.
Attachments
IMG_1348.JPG

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 438 times

Post by Robert Reid »

The RNAS is spectacular!

And don't think of a Grant as raiding the bank account... but as an investment!

Beautiful work!

Cheers,

RPR

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning, and thank you Robert, I do like the RNAS colour. The spray paint arrived during the week from my usual supplier, blue/grey. With the 'garage' far to damp and cold for painting I have cobbled together a 'spray booth'. Therefore with stealth and cunning I will quietly close the workshop door and go for it....The only 'give away' may well be the odour.....room fresh anyone. I have to say the Rolls Royce is simple to build, and breaks down, or de-constructs with ease. Takes about half to three quarters of an hour, so any changes are doddle....I will also panel the lockers in mahogany strip wood as befits a Rolls Royce, and construct the un-ditching boards with similar timber :D Mick.
Attachments
IMG_1354.JPG
IMG_1353.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning everyone, while awaiting the arrival of the Rolls Royce 'solid wheels', I have resprayed the bodywork with a dark blue /grey acrylic. I also have a couple of rattle cans of a lighter colour grey/blue, also in acrylic.....to try. Meanwhile, the mahogany strip wood arrived. I decided to apply the wood over the metal lockers, rather than build new ones. Also, constructed the un-ditching boards....Mick.
Attachments
IMG_1357.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG

Ken Brearley
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by Ken Brearley »

Looks good in grey, mine is in the same color. Merry Christmas Mick.

Ken

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Ken, and a Merry Christmas to you and yours....Mick

Robert Reid

Post by Robert Reid »

Beautiful... but, you know, it really needs a detailed engine under the bonnet ;-)

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

RPR

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Robert, I have followed your work from the beginning, amazing detail, like many others on the Forum it's a pleasure to behold.

Best wishes for the New Year. I look forward to your posts....Mick

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2224 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Merry Christmas mick, Thought for the day....always compress your rubbish bin contents by inserting your foot in the bag and standing down hard :D
Kind regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Phil, very best wishes to you and your family. I'm enjoying you Famo build immensely.
The more I research the 'Grant' the more I am tempted. In bygone years models of all sorts, :wink: have always been my desire... :roll:
I will consider my options in 2019, Kind regards and a happy New Year to you .....Mick

Chris Hall
Has liked: 482 times
Been liked: 635 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Mick -

How can you resist something with that many guns ? And the combination of all those different-sized rivets, hex bolts and slot-head bolts ..... go on, you know you want to ! And your build, as usual, would be a lesson for us all.

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Chris, very tempting, I will give it a coat of 'looking over'. Started the rebuild after a respray. Once my fragile mind had finally understood the black art of radio control and Armortek electronics, I can't seem to stop myself playing with the 'setup'....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1360.JPG
IMG_1359.JPG

Robert Reid

Post by Robert Reid »

Very nice!

I had no idea how 'packed in' the electronics are in the RC versions! No room at all for interior detailing.

Favor to ask... can you post some detail photos of your Sand Tracks? I can see they came out really well, and I plan to do a set. So was hoping to see how you fit them together.

Great job and beautiful model, Mick!

Cheers,

RPR

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you for your comments Robert. The Sand Tracks are a simple job constructed from 1/4 x 1/4 hardwood, making an allowance for the running board fixing bolts. I used balsa wood as a platform and faced this with 1/16 strip mahogany. The edges are aluminum angle strip held down with hex head screws. Loctite was used to hold the bolts in place. There should have been nine bolts each side, I used a photograph found on the internet as a guide. Acrylic varnish and matte black paint. I have to say, that with the wood lockers in place on the rear, it looks more like a hearse.... :lol: Robert, your build of the model Rolls Royce engine, like so many models on the Forum, is just a joy....Mick
Attachments
IMG_1361.JPG

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Good morning, I have replaced the power leads with soft silicone wire and routed both wires through to the rear doors. Charging and connecting made easy. The remote on off switch is accessed through the turret rear door. Have a nice day.....Mick.
Attachments
IMG_1363.JPG
IMG_1362.JPG