Cleaning the BARV tracks

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Cleaning the BARV tracks

Post by Adrian Harris »

I want to paint the tracks on the BARV so they aren't such a nice retro Airfix Sherman silver colour.

The unforeseen problem with driving on the beaches in Normandy was that the sand got everywhere, and as we were staying in a static caravan, I didn't have any facilities for removing them and cleaning the sand off, so over time the sand has hardened into something which laughed in the face of my manual or electric wire brushes.

Looking on the trasure hunting forums, it seemed that acid was the way to go, so I have been cleaning them with a solution of acetic acid and water, in an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner:

DSC_9578a.jpg

After three session of 8 minutes each, then drying and a quick brush over to get the film off, they come up nicely:

DSC_9582a.jpg
Shame there has to be 320 of these buggers on a Sherman :roll:

Adrian.
Last edited by Adrian Harris on Tue May 01, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Robert Reid
Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 438 times

Re: Cleaning the BARV tracks

Post by Robert Reid »

Nicely done!

Stainless Steel Pin tumbling is also a great way to clean parts. A bit of acetic acid and water and a rotary tumbler setup... cleans, polished, deburrs without causing material loss.

But those ultrasonic cleaners are outstanding!

Cheers,

RPR

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1181 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Oddly enough I did invest in a Discovery Channel rock tumbler a while ago - £5 from Ebay :lol: :lol:

41JXD0K6E9L._SY450_.jpg

I was going to try it out last night but I seem to have thrown the 5V power supply away at some point :roll: :oops:

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Adrian
I'm amazed the salt water didn't do more damage. White vinegar works great in this application. I would also use a dry spray lube <not a grease> on the track pins. This will extend the life of them.
Bob