Knowledge Base Topic - Weathering - Getting Started: Principles, Materials and Techniques - ADVANCED

Forum for asking questions, offering new ideas or facts or suggesting new topics
Armortek
Site Admin
Been liked: 3034 times

Knowledge Base Topic - Weathering - Getting Started: Principles, Materials and Techniques - ADVANCED

Post by Armortek »

I've completely re-written the KB Topic on Weathering. Part 1 is here:

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... =34&t=5819

It covers what to use, how to apply it and why. I find there is simply too much junk available to modellers to make easy sense of weathering. There is an army of people out there trying to make money out of so-called weathering products, DVDs and books. I've tried to reduce the whole game to some simple principles, two media (oils and pigments) and about four or five simple techniques. Part 1 focusses on oils, Part 2 will cover pigments used to make mud, dust, oils and staining effects.

Weathering should be the most enjoyable bit of making an Armortek model. You've done the hard work building it, now comes the chance to let the inner artist out. It's how a run of the mill model becomes a personal pride and joy. It's a pity if in the process, it seems an unnecessarily complicated and daunting obstacle.

There has been a stony silence after the last couple of topics were posted. It would be helpful to have some feedback, either way. The Knowledge Base is intended to be useful and useable but in the absence of feedback, it can't improve. There are some very talented painters and decorators on this Forum. It would be good to hear (and incorporate) their expertise.

Stephen
Armortek

simon_manning
Been liked: 1574 times

Re: Knowledge Base Topic - Weathering - Getting Started: Principles, Materials and Techniques - ADVANCED

Post by simon_manning »

hello stephen, the weathering stage, the choice of materials is a mine field, tecniques, methods, its all too much to make sense of, and trying to write it down is very difficult to quantify, my advice get along side someone who's good and watch them, its easy when your shown, monkey see, monkey doo,, one thing i have noticed these tanks take two dicsaplines, metal work where you have to be precise and then the paintwork where you have to be relaxed and let your eye do the work, nothing in the painting is as it seems you dont need a lot of materials, just shading here and there, a light touch, the main thing is be relaxed and enjoy this stage it's very theraputic, i like to think of the artist turner, look at his paintings thats skill beyond measure. regards simon.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Re: Knowledge Base Topic - Weathering - Getting Started: Principles, Materials and Techniques - ADVANCED

Post by Stephen White »

Thanks Simon, good sense from a master of the trade! Your comments prompt the thought that a video or two would be useful but not easy or quick to do. When I get to do the second part, I'll also add some links to a couple of videos I think are helpful, one by Mig Jimenez (although I don't buy all his methods) and perhaps a better one by Michael Rinaldi. I like Michael's approach, it's very simple and effective. If you or anyone else has spotted any good video links or fancies taking a starring role, perhaps you'd let me know? Best regards. Stephen

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Steve Stuart »

I am going to stick my neck out and say, how about at the Tank Mod doing a demonstration. Kian and Monique can provide the Tiger Tanks, so that you can say, "now we move to the one prepared earlier" as you show the next stage :twisted: Or I would be happy to lend my Quad for a make over?
I do not have the courage to start with out some tuition as I have not the drive to remove the dust and grass that covers my models that use at many venues have deposited on them!
I look forward to the next instalment. Steve