Drive motor noises

Forum for discussion relating to the Sdkfz 7 Half Track
Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1210 times
Been liked: 1384 times

Drive motor noises

Post by Adrian Harris »

I've just been doing the initial diagnosis on a Sd.Kfz 7 and, although it moves back and forth, the motors occasionally make a sound not unlike a playing card in a bicycle wheel, which I presume is the gearbox slipping.

Is this likely to mean the motors need replacing or will it work OK once the wheels and suspension are freed up ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Re: Drive motor noises

Post by Dennis Jones »

Adrian,

Just a note of help. If you need to remove the motors/gearboxes measure the distances to the 3 fixings screws underneath from the side and you will find by removing the front seat squab and drilling 2 holes from the previous measurements and one hole in the front of the rear seat you will be able to get to the screws holding the motor in. Otherwise you will have to remove the complete body to get at the screws and that is a pain. I have done this twice and worked ok. As to the noise, not sure what that is but if the gearboxes have the teflon gears in them then it could be that. Also don't try to remove the pin on the output shaft because you won't get it out. The new motors/gearboxes are different but they fit the old mountings.

Dennis.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Thanks Dennis.

I'll need to remove the body to strip the paint work, so will look into adding holes to make servicing easier.

I've got the halftrack on its side at the moment, so I can strip down one set of the running gear, and it looks like one motor is sitting at an angle, so that might be why it's making a funny noise.

Has anyone come up with a graceful solution to being able to remove the body easily ?

I suppose I could omit the screws which are under the seats, and let gravity do most of the work, but it's quite a lump to be fixed down with a few M3 screws in aluminium threads.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

So, I've found out why it was making an odd noise when running:

DSCN5378.JPG
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Adrian

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

What gear is this Adrian? Is this in the motor gearbox? One gear in the original motors was prone to stripping or dislodging. I had to send a motor back to Parvalux for repair - one or two others had similar problems. I replaced the allen bolts retaining the motor with standard bolts - easier to get at and remove and refit without drilling holes anywhere. The measurement quoted in the destructions for the spacing of the sprocket is critical.I found even one or two mil out and the tracks may jam and strip gears.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

> What gear is this Adrian? Is this in the motor gearbox?

Yes, it's the worm gear which mates with the worm on the end of the motor shaft.

Monique has given me a price for a complete new motor and Parvalux have sent a price for a new part.
I just need to clarify what it is they they would be sending and how easy it would be to fit.

The other motor seems to spin without any binding, so I'm hoping it's just the one side which needs repairing.

Adrian.