re-modelling the bogie's

Forum for discussion relating to the 88mm Flak36
Jeffrey Goff
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 737 times

re-modelling the bogie's

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi I started to model the wheel sections of the 88 today, there is a wealth of detail that can be added, I started on the chain lift boxes, as the gears were not meshing properly, once this was done, I reshaped the main housing, added the correct shape bracket, to the side, and I have started to put on the inspection covers, everything has to be duplicated as there are two sets of bogie's, this is the before and after pictures
regards
Jeff

Allan Richards
Been liked: 10 times

Post by Allan Richards »

Jeff,

You really seem to to be able to make quick progress, as there is a lot of re-shaping done in one day. It is going tobe repetative with two of everthing to do.

I went clay shooting today but wished I'd spent the day modelling. I don't know what has happend in the last few months but I've gone from an A class shooter to a C class. I can't hit a barn door at 5 ft at the moment which is frustrating the hell out of me. I don't know what has gone wrong and I've vowed to give it up for a few months as I'm just wasting money.

Late afternoon I went to do some wiring on the Sherman, I'd bought a reel of solder from a local boot fair some time ago but I don't know what it is it won't stick to anything so its out to buy some "normal" solder tomorrow - not a good day.
Allan Richards

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

the chain lift boxes are nearly finished, and covers have been added over the chain pulley; there was one item that had me puzzled, when you looked at the winding handle, it was folded and stowed in a bracket on the mud guard, and it was obvious that it would not turn without hitting the mudguard, on the Armortek model, the winding shaft is one piece, and fixed, on the full size 88, it is in two pieces, with a square spline, allowing it to be pulled out, so the handle can operate, I will make new shaft brackets to house the new shafts, I have also altered the height of the front mud guard brackets, and shortened the right hand one to accept the new fixing bracket, I have also added some towing hooks
regards
Jeff

Pierluigi Patri
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Pierluigi Patri »

Hi Jeffrey,
your work is detailed as that of a Swiss watchmaker. :!:
My congratulations.
Pierluigi

Colin Richards
Has liked: 4 times

Post by Colin Richards »

Excellant work again Jeff. I don't know how you do it but well done again. I'm as always, very impressed with the level of detailing that you manage to do. I've been too busy of late on my build you have wetted my apetite again so I'll have to find some time.

look forward to seeing the next instalment

Colin

Jeffrey Goff

Post by Jeffrey Goff »

Hi Colin, its good to hear from you, as you know I was not looking forward to working on the wheel sections, because of the duplication of parts, and apart from a few cursory glances at Vinces Smugmug pictures, I was in ignorance bliss of how much there was to add; I can not make a part without knowing its function, and this is the learning bit that make it all worth while for me; most of the pictures I have found of the bogie's, have been robbed of the period fittings, just leaving the brackets, there are also variations, in the size, shape and attachment of levers and brackets, so there is plenty to keep me going,
regards
Jeff

Antony Rowley
Location: Back to Wirral home of the brave or not so brave, England

Post by Antony Rowley »

This might interest you guys to stand along your 88's when on display:

http://uktankclub.star-one.co.uk/phpbb3 ... 490#p33490

Thanks Antony
Nord-West KampfGruppe, 1/6th Hetzer, 1/6 Schwimmwagen, 3 x r/c 1/6th Kettenkrad, 1/6th Marder Ausf M, 1/6th Panzer II Static...the collection is growing again....