wiring motion control

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Martin Taylor
Been liked: 1 time

wiring motion control

Post by Martin Taylor »

I am using a Futaba 7C 204ghz FASST system and have set up (for bench testing) the motion control as per the wiring schematic in the manual with the exception (at Mark's suggestion) of connecting input 3 (ie. not 1) to receiver 3. All 4 dips are in the down (off) position and the main motor is conected to speed control 3 and the winch to switched output1..I have checked both the main drive and winch with direct connections and both seem mechanically fine. However when all is connected the winch is "dead". The two joysticks operate the main drive and steering but that's it...has anyone any suggestions please?

Also I have noted the entry from Armortek on the Forum that "the transmission frame rate compatibility is selected with switch 1 not switch 3" but I have no idea what this means or what if any switches have to be operated?? Can anyone offer a plain man's translation?
Martin

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1182 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: wiring motion control

Post by Adrian Harris »

Which channel on the receiver is connected to Input1 on the Motion Control Module ?

Do you know which control on the transmitter controls that channel ?

For instance, if you plug Input1 on the MCM into channel 6 on the receiver, that should be operated by the rotary control on the front of the transmitter.

The problem with modern transmitters is that you can change the channel assignments of the various controls, so a switch on my 7C might not control the same channel as the same switch on your 7C.

I would unplug everything from the receiver and then plug a servo into each channel in turn and make a note of what control on the receiver activates the servo when it is in each slot. That way you should be able to work out what controls on the transmitter are needed to operate the various features of the Quad.

For instance, you might find that channels 1 & 2 are on the LH stick and 3 & 4 are on the RH stick. If you use 1 for throttle and 2 for steering, the LH stick drives the Quad, leaving the RH stick for the winch. Or you could use 3 for the throttle and 4 for the steering, which means the RH stick drives the Quad and your can use the LH stick for the winch.

> "the transmission frame rate compatibility is selected with switch 1 not switch 3"

RC equipment has developed to enable better control of fast moving things such as drones, so signal which is sent from the receiver to the servo can be a number of different speeds. The switch on the MCM determines what speed it is expecting to see, but if yours are all down then it is set to match your FASST receiver.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Many thanks Adrian that will keep me busy over the weekend! There is nothing currently connected to input 1 on the module. It was originally connected to receiver 3 (as per the schematic) but with that configuration it was the main drive that did not operate and the winch was fine..Mark advised changing the connection to receiver 3 from input 1 to 3 which meant the drive worked but not the winch!Hope that makes sense??
I will follow your very clear approach and let you know what happens.
Many thanks
Martin

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

If you want to use Switched1 for the winch, you need the receiver channel which will operate it connected to RC Input1.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Hi Adrian,
Your expert advice has solved the problem with receiver 2,3 and 6 now controlling the steering, drive and winch respectively. I had wondered what the little rotary switch on the front was for so I have learnt that too! Next step is to connect the sound system which looks straightforward??
Once again many many thanks. :D
Martin

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Martin, you might like to refer to the Knowledge Base topic on the subject.

http://www.armortek.co.uk/Forum3b/viewt ... =34&t=5809

Stephen

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Thanks for the tip!
Martin

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Hi again!.After the success re the motion control I had hoped that the audio would prove straightforward..but I spoke too soon!
Mark's wiring schematic for the Quad shows two connections between the receiver and the audio module but the audio manual description (para4) says there are 3 r/c inputs and 2 outputs which are presumably all fitted via the audio r/c connections??
Based on the configuration which I have now set up to operate the motion control system, the only connections on the audio r/c are numbers 1 and 6 to receiver channels 1 and 5 respectively.There are no spare leads and the only other audio module connections are to the speaker and the power input via aux 1.

Also,on the schematic, there is a further connection shown between the control module 3 and audio module 3 but again there is no spare lead and in any event I now have control module 3 connected to receiver 3 as per the advice you have kindly provided!.

I am not fitting the smoke module so maybe I am getting confused by a manual which is intended to cover all options etc??

As you can tell my understanding of electronics and r/c is very limited indeed but with my previous Armortek builds Mark's "plug and play" provision has met my needs so I am obviously missing something somewhere!! :? :? :?

All help will be gratefully received.
Martin

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

> the audio manual description (para4) says there are 3 r/c inputs and 2 outputs which
> are presumably all fitted via the audio r/c connections??

Unfortunately, the Audio Module manual has to be generic, so as to cover all models.

When used in a model such as a tank, which has two drive motors, there are indeed three inputs and two outputs. There is an input and corresponding output for each track motor, plus the control input.

For models such as the Quad, which only have one drive motor, only one input/output pair is needed for the motor, plus the control input.

> I now have control module 3 connected to receiver 3 as per the advice you have kindly provided!.

So that the engine sounds change with the speed of the Quad, the Audio Module needs to sit between the receiver and the Motion Control Module.

If, at the moment, you have receiver channel 3 going to MCM RC Input 3, you need to change it so that receiver 3 goes to RC Connection 1 on the Audio Module and RC Connection 3 on the Audio Module goes to RC Input 3 on the Motion Control Module.

In order to select the different sounds, you also need to connect a channel on the receiver which is controlled by a three position switch to RC Connection 6 on the Audio Module.

Adrian

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Many thanks Adrian, the mist is starting to clear!I have sent a pm.
Martin

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Almost there??
With Adrian's invaluable guidance :D and a lot of trial and error,I now have the drive, steering and winch under control via the joysticks and small rotary VR switch (ch 6).The 3 position switch (E on my transmitter) is set to receiver channel 5. However having followed the audio programming guide in the manual something is amiss as I can get the start up sound but no increase/decrease relating to engine speed. I did once get the horn to sound but now non of the additional sounds seem to operate. I have tried to reset but with no success...more help needed please! :?
Many thanks
Martin

Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Martin, I am no expert but maybe some nice close up photos of your set up and your configuration may help the experts sort your problems, I know just how frustrating it can be, but the more times you do it the easier it will get as you begin to understand the principle, at present they are all tied up with Tankfest so be patient :) regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Martin Taylor

Post by Martin Taylor »

Thanks Phil,
had forgotten that Tankfest is this weekend so your counsel of patience is very relevant!
Martin

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Martin, have you followed the guide in the Knowledge Base? Assuming the Quad has a TBS Mini sound card and the normal standard sound types, you need to look at the section headed "Setting up the TBS Mini Sound Card - To set the sounds". As it explains, the sound card is programmed with two types of sound, the engine sounds, which are controlled proportionally via the speed controller and your chosen throttle stick, and the specisl soumds. Your problem seems to be that the engine sounds haven't yet been "taught" to the sound card.

There are four engine sounds: idle, accelerate, full speed and start stop. You programme these by setting the sound card into programming mode and triggering each of the engine sounds with the relevant position of the throttle stick. I won't describe the process again here but have a look at the KB topic and follow the steps there. Sometimes, it takes a couple of goes to get it fully set up but it will work if you follow the right process.

Hope this helps.

Stephen

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

The process is a little awkward with the TBS Mini, as you have to have the model off the ground so that the accelerate and full speed sounds can be programmed.

Also, you initiate the programming with the button on the TBS Mini, but all other commands are confirmed with the switch on the transmitter. That catches me out every now and again.

One final thing, as you seem to be able to get the sounds but no engine speed increase, is to double check that you have the connections from the receiver to the Audio Module, and from the Audio Module to the Speed Control Module, in the correct locations on the Audio Module. If they're in the wrong ports, the Audio Module will be 'listening' to a port with nothing attached.

Adrian.