Wiring Sound to motion modules

Forum for discussion relating to the British MK IV Tank
Pete Nash
Has liked: 401 times
Been liked: 164 times

Wiring Sound to motion modules

Post by Pete Nash »

I am setting up the sound and motion modules for bench testing.
The Sound Module instructions state that the two outputs from the audio module should be connected to the motion module.

The motion module has four BTEC connectors for the radio receiver connections.

before I damage either modules i would like to know where to connect the audio module to the motion module. Is it the two out puts of the audio to to the two connection not controlling the track motors marked in the instructions as 'first switched output. usually gun elevation' and 'second switched output. usually spare'.

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1182 times
Been liked: 1378 times

Re: Wiring Sound to motion modules

Post by Adrian Harris »

It sounds like you have the latest modules for your Mk IV.

The Audio Module sits between the receiver and the Motion Control Module, so that it knows when the tank is in motion and can adjust the engine speed sounds.

For this to happen correctly, the two RC outputs from the Audio Module go to the first and second speed controls on the Motion Control Module, which are marked on instructions page titled "Motion Control Module Controlled Side" as "usually left track" and "usually right track"

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

Thanks Adrian

At the moment I have the left and right track connection from the motion module connected to separate channels on my receiver so I can can control the tracks separately. I guess I am goint to need a 'Y' splitter from the receiver to control sound and track.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

No need for a splitter.

Instead of each track control channel going from the receiver to the Motion Control Module, they go from the receiver to the Audio Module, then from the Audio Module to the Motion Control Module. You should have been sent leads which allow this.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

Thanks for the info Adrian, it helped greatly.
After a long period of abstinence and fine weather I've had another opportunity to set up the sound and motion modules.
Hopefully one final question. Do you get 'other' sounds, like machine gun fire and voices? If so how? There is one spare connection (No.2) on the Audio Module and can't see how to get any extra sounds.

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

Sorry, I was hoping one of the other chaps might be able to answer.

I haven't wired up my Mk IV yet so I don't know what effects you get from the standard audio system other than engine sounds. All the MG sounds should come from the effects pack.

Adrian.

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

I was a bit of a numb nut :D , I hadn't wired up the second speaker to the LED effects module. Now get engine and gun sounds.

DOH!

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

Pete -

Sorry, I missed this first time around, but I've been playing with the special effects pack myself. The sounds are fine, but all those servos, wires and con rods ..... :)

Regarding your question on other sounds, especially voices. These can be found on the original sound card (not the special effects pack) if you flick the switch a few times to try all the channels.

As my Liesel is a Beutepanzer, I obviously have no need for British voices ! Therefore I only use Channel 1 (engine), with the gun sounds coming from the special effects pack.

All the best,

Chris
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

I am building a female but the only sounds I get from the sound module is for a male even though the M?F switch is set to 'f'.
The front Lewis LED flashes, but none of the others.

Anyone got any ideas or tips to get all 'female' sounds (and i don't mean nagging from 'er indoors).

Adrian Harris

Post by Adrian Harris »

The M/F switch is only read at power up but I'm guessing you've probably switched the module on and off a few times with the switch in the right place.

On the prototype, the switch connections were made via a push fit connector, which can come loose, but I don't know whether the production units used the same plugs or solder connections. Probably best to speak to Armortek directly before opening the unit.

It's odd that you're only getting one LED flashing as there are three which are shared between the Male and Female setups.

Can you post some pictures of the wiring looms and connections ?

Adrian.

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

Pete -

Here's what I've found with Liesel ...........

If we've got the same set-up, there are two distinct modules: Sound (with a Benedini card in it), and the Amplifier (which Gill always called the 'wiggly gun pack' - and who am I to argue ? :lol:).

The Sound card is (based on the instructions) connected to a proportional channel on your transmitter, and Channel 5 on the receiver (I use a Futaba 7c - I don't know what it would be on a Spektrum). This connects to switch E on the transmitter. By flicking the switch the required number of times, the following soundtracks are available:

1 Engine start and run.
2 Engine.
3 Engine.
4 Engine.
5 Voices (at Startup).
6 Hammering.
7 Machine Guns.
8 Machine Guns.

As the machine gun sounds will be better generated by the Amplifier pack, all you'll need is track 1 (engine start and run) and track 5 (English voices, on a short repeating loop).

The Amplifier pack is the one that all the servos and LED's for the machine guns plug into. Like Liesel yours is a Female, so set the switch on the side to F and leave it there. It sets the magic inside to work 5 machine guns rather than a mixture of machine guns and 6-pounders, but serves no other purpose and doesn't need to be set each time.

The wiring is as per the instructions. Each lead is numbered, so double-check you've got the right lead going to the right place. The lead to the receiver comes off the front machine gun - I fitted this to Channel 7, which is the only other proportional channel on a Futaba, and linked it to switch D which is a simple on - off, so the guns aren't always on.

You should have two speakers. One is for the Sound pack, and one is for the Amplifier. And check that the volume switches on both packs are above zero - not too high at first, as they need to be 'run in'.

I hope that helps, and isn't just re-stating the bleedin' obvious. As Adrian said, it would be helpful to see some pictures if you're still stuck.

It'll be good to see another Female on the circuit - in Real Life, they outnumbered the Males (probably due to a shortage of 6-pounders, which came from Navy stock). My two and yours make 3 - any more out there ?

All the best,

Chris

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

As asked for, photos, but as they don't show the connection I have listed them.
everything is mounted on a wood frame that goes under the roof panel which I have made removeable. Access to the On/Off switch and receiver is via the roof hatch.
I have also 'modified the power leads. The power leads now go to four 'Chocolate bar' connectors, +- +- The middle - & + have a Jumper lead so i get the 24v output>
when it come to re-charging all I have to do is fish about through the top hatch and undo the connection and connect the chargers, well thats the plan!

Receiver is a 2.4 Ghz Planet T7 with R7M receiver.

Motion Control Module:
RC inputs 3 & 4 go to 3 & 5 on the Audio Module
Power Out Aux 1 powers the Audio Module
Power out Aux 2 Powers the 'Wiggly gun Pack'

Audio Module
RC Connectors
1. Receiver Channel 3 (elevator - Right stick backwards and forwards)- controls Right track
2. Not used
3. To/from Motion Control Input 3
4. Receiver Channel 1 (throttle - Left Stick backwards and forwards - controls Left track
5. To/from Motion Control Input 4
6. Receiver Channel 5 - Engine sound on/0ff
Speaker lead for engine sounds
Power from Motion Controller Aux 1

Wiggly Gun Pack (Tested New MGW 19/12/15)
Power from Motion Control Aux 2
M/F switch is set to 'F'

Front connector plug to Front M/G, Servo Lead marked 0

R and L connectors No. 1,5,6,7 to Right and Left sponson servos. LED cables fed into guns.

Receiver Planet R7M Pins
Batt. Not Used
1-Throttle - Left Track forwards and reverse
2. Aileron Not used
3. Elevator - Right Track forward and reverse
4. Rudder Not used
5. On/Off switch - Engine sound on and off
6 Rotary switch for Flap Position - Not Used
7. Three position 1/Off/2 switch - Gun sounds and Servo actuation

That gents is how I have things wired.
Thanks for any help - I usually sail model boats :)
Attachments
DSC_0015a.jpg
DSC_0014a.jpg
DSC_0013a.jpg
DSC_0012a.jpg
DSC_0011a.jpg
DSC_0009a.jpg

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

Pete -

You've got the new 60amp module, whereas I'm still on the old type (although I have got the new type in stock for my next build). So some of what I said isn't relevant.

My setup, and all the manuals, are in my workshop, and it's far too cold to go out there ! But I have spotted one thing. You're using the Male leads for your guns ! You need the Female leads, numbered 1, 2, 3, 4.

Nothing else leaps out as wrong, so try that and see if it solves the problem.

All the best,

Chris

Chris Hall

Post by Chris Hall »

Something else I've just spotted. I don't know anything about Planet transmitters (although I've heard good things), but you say you're using slot 5 for the sound pack and slot 7 for the guns. That sounds the wrong way round to me - the guns just need a simple on/ off, whereas the sounds need a toggle switch (which some clever people replace with a dial) so that you can switch between sound channels (then you'll get the voices !).

Let us know if that solves anything.

All the best,

Chris

Pete Nash

Post by Pete Nash »

I don't know what we've done but I'm now getting all five LEDs flashing :) , still getting the 6pdr sound but I can live with that. thought about removing them from the mini SD sound card but didn't want to do it in case it messed up the programme.
I did as you suggested and switched gun sounds to channel 5 and engine sound to 7 but it didn't work.

I HATE ELECTRONICS :x

Thanks for your help, now all I have to sort out is the binding tracks.