Mick's Panther A

Forum for discussion relating to the Panther
michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 826 times

Mick's Panther A

Post by michael hilton »

My Panther kit arrived and is located in the garage. I am advised by management that, covering the double bed in the spare room with Panther Kit parts is no longer acceptable. Visiting family members are unable to get a good nights sleep.....due to the weight of the parts on the duvet.....don't you just love the ladies. Back in the real world the Panther A kit is massive, quality assured product. I made a tentative start with page one of the instruction booklet :roll: this is going to be a most enjoyable build.....Mick :D
Attachments
IMG_0844.JPG

michael hilton

Re: Mick's Panther A

Post by michael hilton »

Further progress, minimal work with a small file and it all slots together....well pleased.....Mick
Attachments
IMG_0847.JPG

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

I sense another really neat build afoot! Did you not have the alignment issues with the suspension bars that Steve did with his?

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Peter, no problems, The hull is square and the suspension/setscrews/side plates etc., all line up. I have no idea what happened with Steve's build. I use a magnifier to closely follow the outline drawings. I am not as far in my build however, I can only post as I find....no problems whatsoever. I have used 'loctite' on the brass bearings, which located easily....onwards and upwards....Mick :D

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Held a meeting, it has been decided that, as the Panther A is a huge model and very heavy, more space is needed. The hull alone is already heavy, so, with the improving weather, I will relocate said build into the garage. Obvious really.....Oh, and another use for Armortek packing boxes... 8)
Attachments
Also doubles as a paint spray booth
Also doubles as a paint spray booth

ian.cameron
Been liked: 1 time

Post by ian.cameron »

Hello Mick

What strength of Loctite do you use on the brass bearings?

yves mouton
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 514 times

Post by yves mouton »

Hello Ian,

I use Loctite nr 648 this can you also use for the ball bearings
in the wheels and drive case.

best regards Yves

Paul Wills
Has liked: 636 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Paul Wills »

Hi Mick,

Haha, you have done well to start in the house, I have always been in the garage. I was once caught in the house with the tyres for the Sd.Kfz.7 Halftrack and Frau Wills went nuts :roll: I was only using her pans to boil the tyres to soften them so I could fit the to the hub. I had to apologize most profusely for a week and promise I wouldn't do it again :roll: I had to wait a whole week until she was out long enough to get them done! :wink:

Paul. :wink:
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41

Dennis Jones
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 218 times

Post by Dennis Jones »

Hi Mick,

Back on the big stuff then, just be careful lifting it and make sure this time (memories of the Comet build) that you have spring return on the left hand stick. Good luck with the build and look forward to the updates.

Dennis.

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Dennis, Paul and Yves. I have all the permissions required for use of the very small third bedroom....as you all are only to aware these beasts become extremely heavy and difficult to manage in a limited space. So, I will fit the suspension to the hull, in the bedroom workshop and then transfer the Panther to the garage. The weather is fine so I took the opportunity to spray an acid etch primer. I will paint the inside of the hull before fitting the suspension.
I have just cause to remember the Comet Dennis, :roll: having almost driven it off the dining room table.
Ian, I use a medium strength Loctite 243......Mick
Attachments
I like to read the paper while spraying...
I like to read the paper while spraying...

Steve Norris
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 652 times

Post by Steve Norris »

Hi Mick
Good progress being made there.
Just ensure everything is square,I only noticed the misalignment on mine when I had the upper side plates fitted and went to install the hull top plate.
Regards
Steve

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Peter Silcock »

Coming along there nicely Michael. Hope you are using a proper painters mask with disposable filters when spraying that etch primer- the stuff is absolutely lethal to the lungs!

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Thank you Steve and Peter, I have a suitable paint spray mask, also with the garage doors open front and rear most of the primer was blown outside by the wind..... :shock: Steve, I have checked very carefully while building the lower hull, all is well. Enjoying the build :D ....Mick

michael hilton

Post by michael hilton »

Wouldn't you just know it, the Sun comes out.....the lawn needs cutting....I managed to top coat the underside....once she is turned over never to be seen again, that's that.....Mick :wink:
Attachments
Mud brown...
Mud brown...

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 983 times
Been liked: 2047 times

Post by Stephen White »

That'll be a bottom coat on the top then Mick? Glad you're enjoying the build, in your various workshops. Thanks for posting. Stephen