Bergepanther finishing getting ready for filming

Forum for discussion relating to the Bergepanther
Phil Woollard
Has liked: 2223 times
Been liked: 6945 times

Re: Bergepanther finishing getting ready for filming

Post by Phil Woollard »

Does anybody know what the rate of fire was for the 20mm Quad Flak?
Mechanical engineer.
2 Youtube channels, Phil Woollard and Magpiespyro. Facebook/ Phil Woollard.
Commission builds considered. Pm for my email.

Mike Duynhoven

Post by Mike Duynhoven »

From wiki.
The Flakvierling weapon consisted of quad-mounted 2 cm Flak 38 AA guns with collapsing seats, folding handles, and ammunition racks. The mount had a triangular base with a jack at each leg for levelling the gun. The tracker traversed and elevated the mount manually using two handwheels. When raised, the weapon measured 307 cm (10 feet 1 inch) high.

Each of the four mounted guns had a separate magazine that held only 20 rounds. This meant that a maximum combined rate of fire of 1,400 rounds per minute was reduced practically to 800 rounds per minute for combat use – which would still require that a magazine is replaced every six seconds, on each of the four guns.
New to 1/6th scale... (heck I bypassed 1/16th scale...)
Now an owner of an Armortek Panther-A! Currently still in boxes...

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Cheers Mike, I'm in the middle of editing the quad simulation firing video, so want to get a realistic rate of fire on the audio, regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Thought this may be of interest, A short unfinished video of the Flakpanther, I will add pyrotechnic effects when i get a minuet to film them, so for now just imagine rockets exploding around the vehicle, and the Flak firing cheers Phil
Mechanical engineer.

Stephen White
Site Admin
Has liked: 977 times
Been liked: 2045 times

Post by Stephen White »

Phil, that's impressive. These guys might lime to see a link (they're a UK based group working to restore a Typhoon to flying condition):

https://www.facebook.com/hawkertyphoonRB396/

One suggestion re tactics - with any mobile gun platform, you always try to take up a fire position where the hull was level side to side (it's called trunnion tilt). The reason is that with separate elevation and traverse hand controls, it's easier to get the initial lay and to make subsequent corrections. If the hull is level transversely, elevation and line corrections can be translated into the appropriate handwheel movements but if there is trunnion tilt, all corrections require co-ordinated use of both controls. A skilled gunner could do that but why make life more difficult?

Thanks for posting.

Stephen

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Well this ones a bit different isn't it? That Typhoon will be worth a fortune when it's airworthy again, you don't really think those guy's would want to see one of my crappy videos do you?
Mark expressed an interest in the 2cm Quad on Saturday, so you never know it may be included in the repertoire one day, I have just received another Quad in kit form (and got dicked import duty to boot) to keep in stock just in case I get similar order for another Flakpanther.
I rather like the German tank chassis gun carrage marriages especially the 88mm Flak, now that will look way cool but rather expensive to put together! cheers Phil
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Found this for reference, it's basically the same gun used in the 2cm flak, just imagine this x4, note the "splash" as the rounds imapact the ground around the oil drum.
Reports written at the time (mid to late 1930's) suggest the quad was not adequate in the anti aircraft role and eventually a larger calibre arrangement was introduced.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Just watching that video again and boy that gun has a fantastic muzzle velocity, see how quickly the round reaches it's target! That's a lot of energy. Some 900 m/s.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

This Bergepanther will be up for sale later in the year, the customer will have a choice of the one in these photos or a brand new version using the Panther A chassis,( I have recently compiled enough original parts from Armortek to construct another) either would have smoke, sound and motion all ready to go please PM for details. If you want to contact me and are unable to post on this site I am sure if you contact Gill at Armortek she will be kind enough to release my telephone number, but serious inquires only please cheers Phil.
Attachments
DSC_0078 (2).JPG
DSC_0072 (2).JPG
DSC_0071.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

As the Flakpanther build is approaching completion, I am now starting to think about the new Bergepanther that I have planned which will be based on the Panther "A" chassis, here are a few swatches for inspiration. I don't know if I could ever sell it when it's finished , but we will have to see :roll:
Attachments
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0136 (2).JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
I just love this one, to me it has everything.
I just love this one, to me it has everything.
I still haven't decided about the early or the late spade example, I am drawn towards the early as it's a bit different.
I still haven't decided about the early or the late spade example, I am drawn towards the early as it's a bit different.
Mechanical engineer.

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

A couple of photos of the Berge showing some last minuet touches to the natural wear areas, i am impatient to see these so as shes not done much run time to create the polished sprocket teeth and middle wheel rim faces I have added metallic paint by hand.
Attachments
DSC_0637.JPG
DSC_0636.JPG
Mechanical engineer.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Phil,
Really nice details on the "G" Bergepanther. Fantastic model. I wish I had one of these in my collection. Will be interested to see the build on your "A" Berg. What will you do for a winch? Will the spade be metal? Do you have Armortek parts for those?

Hopefully you will post a build thread. 8)
Best regards,
Bob

Phil Woollard

Post by Phil Woollard »

Hi Robert, thanks for the kind words, I have a winch , most of the spade except for a couple of bits that will be relatively easy to manufacture, all is and will be steel and Ali as it must function, I don't like non functional equipment and all the Armortek parts collected from the old factory, like the cable roller device and all those jib parts and awkward brackets that go with the bergepanther even the winch house is there and that lovey tow bracket.
She will be unique , as far as I know there is no other. I have a pair of New limited edition16/1 Armortek/spiradrive motor/gearbox units which will slow the vehicle down with tones of torque . Should start that fairly soon once we have hay making out the way.
Oh and yes I will have a build thread I'm afraid ! :D

Regards Phil.
Mechanical engineer.

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 701 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Great Phil, look forward to that. An "A" Berg with all metal parts will be a treat. :roll: I agree a plastic spade on these lovely metal models would be..well, an injustice!
Bob