Bryans Quad with yet another touch of Armorpax

Forum for discussion relating to the Morris Quad
Dave Dibb (Armorpax)
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 1104 times

Bryans Quad with yet another touch of Armorpax

Post by Dave Dibb (Armorpax) »

Hi All,

17 Pdr masters for the metal parts are on the way to my casters so thought I'd take a well earned break, made a cuppa, sat down......................then started on the Quad :-)

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

There used to be a nice banner here till Photobucket lost everything.............................

Ian Rodney
Been liked: 53 times

Re: Bryans Quad with yet another touch of Armorpax

Post by Ian Rodney »

Hi Dave,

Looking forward to your Quad build and to see what you come up with upgraded parts for it?
Watching with great interest!

Cheers Ian
from Glasgow

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

I think its safe to say progress although slow yesterday has been good today. My fingers have the usual signs of working with plate but nothing half a dozen plasters can't fix :-)

I think I have all the drive parts in the right relationship but the main aim for now is to get the model far enough on to start on the upgrade stuff. Gear box rotates smoothly and I think I have the diffs right based on Marks post. I might have the front axle a little too far forward but it seems to be the best point for the shorter of the 2 drive shafts. Once the upgrade stuff is done I can spend more time on the drive.

I have to say that considering the number of different angles on the body work etc that assembly was very easy and the fit is spot on. The only holes I have had to ease were on the door frames and I had one small area to file where the return angle on the front plate just fouled the lower window frame.

I've added a couple of plastic strips down each side of the radiator grill to lock the mesh between the fan housing and the outer frame. Although I have also glued it this should stop it getting pushed out if the glue go's

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

There used to be a nice banner here till Photobucket lost everything.............................

Ian Rodney
Been liked: 53 times

Post by Ian Rodney »

Excellent progress Dave,

I took advantage of the good weather today and did some Priming undercoating outdoors on some of my parts for the Quad. Before I had to return to the 25 pounder gun which is not quite finished yet!

Looking forward to seeing your upgrades for the Quad!

Cheers Ian
from Glasgow

michael hilton
Has liked: 1530 times
Been liked: 823 times

Post by michael hilton »

Hello Dave, that's just amazing, how on earth have you made so much progress. The photographs are an excellent aid to the many 'Quad' builders, well done matey. :D
A very small observation....does the part EMO221 simply rest on top of the drum EMO220, as I cannot see how to set EMO221 clear of the drum......
There appears to be many interesting Quad builds ongoing, looking forward, the paint schemes will create much debate. :wink:
Saturday evening was spent watching 'Fury' yet again :roll:.....Mick

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi Mick,

I have it just sat on top of the drum at present. I am contemplating a little araldite around the base of the 3 screws to hold them vertical as they can move a little in the countersinks. Not sure if that's 100% correct but I think will be OK.

I figured I'd better get on with this and try and get ahead of the other builders so I can tell you what not to fit yet if you want to update the kit :-)

Progress would have been better but I had my daughters birthday party yesterday and my sons today....slowed me right down :-)

Best regards

Dave
www.armorpax.net

Russ Clark

Post by Russ Clark »

Great job on the quad. I will be starting mine next week, I noticed some people prime all the pieces and some don't would it be best to prime the frame before building it? OR does the paint cause fitment problems?

Kevin Hunter
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by Kevin Hunter »

Michael (and Dave)
Good question about parts EM0220/221. Believe the top frame is stop winch cable slipping off the drum, so too loose and cable will escape, too tight and it will clamp the drum and burn out the motor. Rather than just allow the frame EM0221 to sit loosely on the drum I wondered about using a few spare M3 nuts underneath to lock it in place on the M3 x45 screws?
Dave, that might even add a bit more rigidity and ease the wobble.
Have to confess I'm not there yet, so let me know how you get on :D
Kevin

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi Russ,

I think it is just what people are used to. I have always built first then primed and painted. I prefer to key the base surfaces and bond direct to it rather than to a layer of primer.

Best regards

Dave
www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

That's the basic build finished. I'll be starting on the upgrades in a few days once I have had time to go through the various reference pics and decide where to start.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

I've changed the rear metal spare tyre supports for two timber runners and will be adding the tubular outer frame and traversing wheel clamps at some point in the build. I already have a suitable battery and terminals for use in the cab which I'll make the frame for later.

Probably going to get the externals done before I start on the interior so gutter channels and hatch doors, hinges, padlocks etc will be next.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi All,

A little work on the Quad today. Side light assembly, horn and the first of the guttering.

Best regards

Dave

www.armorpax.net

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1383 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Nice looking parts :D

Will you be doing the wipers and the front cable guide rollers ?

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

Dave Dibb (Armorpax)

Hi Adrian,

Yes, also lots of other odd bits like the chassis front D tow points, bonnet spring catches,hasps and staples, hinges etc for the exterior. Battery and battery frame, fire extinguisher, seat pads and general interior detail.

Best regards

Dave
www.armorpax.net

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 1383 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

Thanks Dave.

Certainly sounds like it will be an comprehensive update set :D

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module