Assembling Tracks

Forum for discussion relating to the Sherman.
duncanallender
Been liked: 8 times

Assembling Tracks

Post by duncanallender »

Hi guys,
Have just bought new track pins,end connector blocks etc to replace very old worn out ones, as tracks kept coming off on anything except smooth surfaces.
2 questions,
1. Do you think it's a good idea to put some grease in holes in tracks where pins rotate on(old ones were very seized up)?
2. Do you think it's I should use Loctite on small nuts attached to capheads?
Look forward to your informed replies.
Cheers
Dunc

Peter Silcock
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 33 times

Re: Assembling Tracks

Post by Peter Silcock »

Duncan if the pins are stainless personally I don't think any grease is necessary but a smidgen of Copperslip won't do any harm. If pins are mild steel then def. apply Copperslip- will protect against corrosion without the grinding effect of ordinary grease. It is used on disc pads on cars for the same reason. Re nuts I would be using M2 nylocs - they are much cheaper than they used to be, but buy off Ebay- no need for Loctite. If not using nylocs then Loctite is probably a good idea, but use the one that enables easy dismantling.

Paul Wills
Has liked: 637 times
Been liked: 141 times

Post by Paul Wills »

What have you worn out now Duncan :lol: Can't argue with Peters comments, I always copper slip all the moving parts on my tanks :wink:

Paul. :wink:
9 kp pz gren div grossdeutschland Tiger A23, Sd.Kfz. 7 half-track Artl Reg 146 (mot), 16.Infanterie-Division (mot). Flak 36 88mm, Erg-Zug Flak-Stammbatterie Augsburg. King Tiger & Pak41

Adrian Harris
Has liked: 1296 times
Been liked: 1511 times

Post by Adrian Harris »

How were the Sherman tracks failing ? Broken end connectors or just pins coming adrift ?

The Sherman track pins are plated, which can wear off at the ends and in the middle, due to the stresses placed on them by running with tight tracks.

I have found on the BARV that quite a few of the pins have siezed in the links and are now rotating in the clamps rather than being held by the clamps and rotating in the links.

I too have bought a new set of track pins and intend to use PTFE dry lubricant when I fit them. I've tried a couple of links out and it does seem to noticably reduce the friction. Only time and track mileage will tell how long it lasts and if this protects the pins to any extent.

Adrian.
Contact me at sales@armortekaddict.uk for details of my smoker fan control module

duncanallender
Been liked: 8 times

Post by duncanallender »

Thanks for your comments,will try the copperslip and the nuts you mention Peter and Paul. Adrian, the pins were wearing and kept coming adrift of the end clamps.The pins, about 80% of them were seized in the tracks, and it was a hell of a job to get 'em out.As you say time will tell if the new pins work ok.
Regards
Dunc

Robert E Morey
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by Robert E Morey »

Adrian mention a dry lube. I have had good luck with a dry film lubricant. I use a PTFE mold release. It dries clear, and leaves a slick film. Overtime it will wear off, but it will provide some additional life to the pins. I'd be worried a wet lube would only attract dirt - which will grind away the pin finish faster. Although copper slip - an anti seize medication will prevent them from seizing, nothing much will protect them from salt water exposure and fine dirt. Best thing then is to wash the tracks in fresh water and thoroughly dry them - a home oven at low temp works good for drying after wash -if you can distract the missus long enough to use it. Occasional disassembly and re-lube wouldn't hurt.

Definitely Loctite the small nuts - if they come off the end connector retainer will come off and the track will separate.

Bob