Mark I

Forum for discussion relating to the British MK IV Tank
Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Mark I

Post by Steve Stuart »

Not Armortek, but for those of us building Mark IVs, Helen Lawson's Mark I has been an inspiration, a scratch built 1/6 model that has been fascinating to see over a series of Shows taking shape. So at the Overlord Show at Denmead I was pleased to see the finished model on the Portsmouth Model Boat Club Stand. In the afternoon it made its way over to where we were.
Mark I
Mark I
Mark I
Mark I
It is a brilliant model and I was informed that it is likely to be at Tank Mod in October, an opportunity to see it and the constructor! So as it is going to be a while, I wish to use this forum as a vehicle to pass on my congratulations to Helen.
Steve

Daniel Scholefield
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 228 times

Re: Mark I

Post by Daniel Scholefield »

That is an amazing build, it looked good in bare metal, it looks even better in it's (White?)Russian paint scheme!
Mark IV No. 35 aka. L9 Lightning III
Hetzer No 28

Chris Hall
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 631 times

Post by Chris Hall »

The split between 'White' and 'Red' Russians dates from after the October 1917 Revolution, long after the Mark 1 had been superseded. I believe Helen has chosen to represent one of the earliest Mark 1's, before they were shipped to France to play their part in history on 15 September 1916.

At that time they were managed by the Royal Navy (hence HMLS - His Majesty's Land Ship). The Russian wording (usually taken to mean something like "Water tank for Petrograd") was a disguise adopted by Foster's to preserve secrecy.

This is a wonderful thing to see - this year of all years. All credit to Helen !
Mark IV (Liesel, Abteilung 14, France 1918)
M3 Lee (25 Dragoons, Burma 1944)
Universal Carrier (2/Wiltshires, Italy 1944)
Panther (Deserter, 145 RAC, Italy 1944)
Centurion Mk 3 (8KRIH, Korea 1950/51)
Morris Quad, 25-pdr & limber (45RA, Korea 1951)

Steve Stuart
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Steve Stuart »

World War One Coin Cover
World War One Coin Cover
Royal Mail are producing a Coin Cover which has a relevance to the World War one Tank enthusiast, so I thought to put this in the thread I have started as it is a Mark 1 that is featured.
This is the link to the Royal Mail Website so it can be followed up
http://shop.royalmail.com/the-first-wor ... t/20160135
I hope this is of relevance/interest!
Steve