Kompact 25 PDR rivets

All topics related to Armortek's 25 Pdr
donharvey

Kompact 25 PDR rivets

Post by donharvey »

I've just bought this kit. The trail arms require rivets from both sides I assume. The rivets are 1/4" and the trails are 10mm wide. The rivets seem too long. Do they need trimming and are they simply glued in?

Walter Mackinnon
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Re: Kompact 25 PDR rivets

Post by Walter Mackinnon »

Hi Don,
The answer is yes, full lenth on one side and cut to fit on the other side, I used super glue, but if you are going with the ARMORPAX up grade kit, hold off as some rivets will have to be removed to fit parts.
Welcome to the club and I hope you enjoy bilding your kit.
Regards Walter.

donharvey

Post by donharvey »

Thanks Walter. I'm not planning an upgrade at the moment. Do some rivets on the front screen require trimming? I am working slowly on this kit and trying to assemble parts and connectors in sealable bags. I actually fired one of these back in 1970 with the Australian Army

Walter Mackinnon
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Walter Mackinnon »

Hi Don,
Yes some rivets need to be trimmed for the shield as well.
Look at the forum for 25PDR for more hints and tips on building the kit.
Regards Walter.

Marcus Kwa
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Marcus Kwa »

Hi Don,
For the rivets in the shield for holding the reinforcement angle lines and equipment brackets I chose to install the rivet first (full length). On the inside of the shield I slid and glued a piece of aluminium tubular (same diameter as the rivet head with an ID of the rivet shank) over the exposed rivet shank. After the glue had set I trimmed the tube and rivet shank (to rivet head height).
With a file I profiled the aluminium tube to resemble a rivet head. This gives a strong connection. Of course you can also use other tubing like plastic what is easier to sand down and shape.

In the picture the upper shield reinforcement angle line is shown with the aluminium tubing and rivet shanks trimmed down, ready to be profiled to resemble a rivet head by rounding the edges with a file and sandpaper. You can clearly see the rivet with the aluminium tube around it.

Happy building!

Marcus